Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
elic

favorite secrets

My favorite secret in Ultimate Doom is the Soul sphere in E1M3. The way you see it from the hallway is one of the most memorable parts of the game, and the way you get to it is more creative than the rest of the games secrets.
In Doom II my favorite is the ledge near the Cyber in MAP10, cuz it feels rewarding being able to skip that fight.
In Final Doom it would be the walkway in MAP12 of TNT, because it looks real kewl.

What are you're favorites?

The entrance to the secret level in Mount Erebus was pretty unique and memorable. Or at least it was back in the day when I had a buddy point out that you were supposed to use the invuln. artifact and the rocket launcher to get in there, rather than IDSPISPOPD.

Mithran Denizen said:

The entrance to the secret level in Mount Erebus was pretty unique and memorable. Or at least it was back in the day when I had a buddy point out that you were supposed to use the invuln. artifact and the rocket launcher to get in there, rather than IDSPISPOPD.

IDCLIP, or straferunning :P

Baby Bonnie Hood said:

IDCLIP, or straferunning :P

This was back before IDCLIP existed, and before anybody knew about straferunning. :P

Also, I've always loved the walkover-lift-lower line specials, particularly the one behind the imp tower in E1M1, and the ones in E1M3. Those are a big part of what defines Doom, and E1 in particular, for me.

Secrets focused purely on sound cues are neat, yes. It's a nice change of pace from the typical "click on the wall that looks slightly different from the others" sorts of secrets.

In The Ultimate DOOM is the soul sphere in E1M3, the one you see in the hallway, like Processingcontrol said.

In DOOM II mine would be the two secret levels Wolfenstein and Grosse.

Secret areas with minor puzzles are great.

The first supercharge secret on E1M2 for Doom 1, and the first secret that came to mind in Doom 2 was the outdoor area.

For TNT, that damn secret exit on map15, not the good kind of memorable though. I can't really think of one for Plutonia.

The E1M3 and E1M4 soulsphere secrets are my personal favorites, I remember playing doom for the first time wondering what that eerie blue ball was and how to get to it.

I am going to consider maps 31 and 32 of doom 2 to be secrets, and they were my favorite secrets of all. My brother had discovered the maps after I had already beaten doom 2, and I hadn't known there was just a little bit more I haven't seen of the game. I also remember being disappointed that after I returned doom 2 (it was borrowed) and bought final doom, that it didn't contain the little blue men I now know to be wolfenstein nazis.

Marnetmar said:

The E1M3 and E1M4 soulsphere secrets are my personal favorites, I remember playing doom for the first time wondering what that eerie blue ball was and how to get to it.

I didn't wonder how to get to it. Instead I shot it because I was a dumb kid.

I was quite proud of hiding a small corridor in plain sight using really high contrast shadows and dark textures.

When I'm playing, I quite like those odd secrets that just end up hiding more and more stuff - as if there's some sort of entire level hidden inside the one you're playing. TNT probably took this a bit too far in a couple of cases. Can't remember what map it was, but I think it was called Quarry, and in it about half of the level is hidden away, with a load of monsters and pickups there too.

A good example is the sort of thing id did in Doom, where you'd open up an area that wasn't too well hidden. This area was hiding some better, different secrets though, which are quite well hidden, but hinted at from the outside. E1M3 kind of does this, but I'm sure there are better examples.

The most fond memories for secrets in Doom I have must be all the ones in E1M3. Finding them all by myself, without using cheats, and then discovering a SECRET LEVEL there...

No words can describe that kind of nostalgia.

There would be many I might forget but I like the E1M2 secrets. Pressing that wall to reveal the inside dark room with the electronic walls, ammo back pack and button, such mysterious atmosphere then. What is this button? Oh,. it opens that area and now you are OUT! Blue sphere, new chaingung weapon, lot's of stuff.

And the awesomeness of E1M2 doesn't end here. So many cool secrets. Another big dark, flickery area opening near the end, you hit that switch around the acid, another wall opens in the corridor back, with dark mazes, scary shit. And there are secrets there, lot's to explore, the first shoot wall secret, I find accidentally while trying to shoot the imp. Yes, the chainsaw!!! I saw it from the other elevator near the end. And there is another secret near the bigger elevator later to go up the ledge you could see from down there. This is great, they make you see the unreached rooms and wonder if they could be reachable, this is great!

Another secret after secret I remembered from another level. Must be E1M5. There where you go down the elevator after opening the yellow room, in a round place where it's a big trap, platforms go down, imps and shotgun troopers come, it was a hard fight and I was wasted the very first time I played this level. But there is an alcove in the middle with a medikit. Press left, wow a radiation suit. Take it and press next left wall again. Wow! It's open, I am getting out, a soul sphere. Also, I can more carefully blast the monsters from here. Hahaha!!! Surprise :)

I was quite proud of hiding a small corridor in plain sight using really high contrast shadows and dark textures.

This sounds interesting, I'd like to see it. In which of your maps is this? There are many maps with your nick in idgames so I can't decide.

It's not out yet, but it's my second map in CC4 (currently MAP10, may be subject to change).

Processingcontrol said:

My favorite secret in Ultimate Doom is the Soul sphere in E1M3. The way you see it from the hallway is one of the most memorable parts of the game

Agreed. It was with good reason that getting to it (and the secret exit) was one of the most FAQs in the months following the original shareware release.

Processingcontrol said:

In Final Doom it would be the walkway in MAP11 of TNT, because it looks real kewl.

Methinks you mean MAP12 "Crater", there is an impressive huge nukefall there. MAP11 "Storage Facility" is the one with all the crates.

valkiriforce said:

Excalibur, the whole level.

Do you mean XCALIB11.WAD from '95? It's a nice level overall, I didn't find any of the secrets particularly memorable, though.

My favorites would be the chaingun secret on YOUNG1 and the sexy secret on Test 2 Kill. The former is really devious and will have you pulling your hair trying to figure it out: in a unique (for a level this old, at least) touch, an Imp will help you. As for the latter, if someone doesn't find it impressive he never had to leech pr0n at 33.6 kbps. :)

And although it's not a secret, strictly speaking, I have fond memories of the rocket launcher on !PIPE!.WAD. This level has a symmetrical layout. One part of it has a tunnel at the end of which there's a hidden door that leads to a teleporter that takes you to a medkit and a box of shells, a sizable bonus - neither health nor ammo being plentiful on this level. When you get to the mirror tunnel on the opposite side of the map you naturally go first thing to check of the corresponding hidden door is there, and sure enough it is. Better yet, there are a rocket launcher and a couple boxes of rox in there!
The more discerning players may remember at this point a quote from the WAD's text file[quote]Be warned. I am a crafty bastard. This Wad file is a bitch and there are many chances to die[/url]
and wonder how come after pitting you against Cacos with nothing but a pistol the author gives you a rocket launcher so easily. The more observant may also notice there isn't a teleporter this time. The greedy fool will rush in to his death. That's what I love about this, it's a thinking man's "secret". :D

Phobus said:

hiding a small corridor in plain sight using really high contrast shadows

was done in E2M7

Never_Again said:

Methinks you mean MAP12 "Crater", there is an impressive huge nukefall there. MAP11 "Storage Facility" is the one with all the crates.

Crater was the one I was talking about too, judging from that description. Pretty cool scenery there, and something worth getting on its own really.

Do you mean XCALIB11.WAD from '95? It's a nice level overall, I didn't find any of the secrets particularly memorable, though.

I think he means Excalibur, as in MAP30 of Eternal Doom III - which is one hell of a lot of thinking for a map, particularly if its anywhere near as big as I remember it being.

@tempun: Hmm, I didn't think it was an original idea, to be honest - just one I was quite glad to come up with and pull off.

Phobus said:

When I'm playing, I quite like those odd secrets that just end up hiding more and more stuff - as if there's some sort of entire level hidden inside the one you're playing. TNT probably took this a bit too far in a couple of cases. Can't remember what map it was, but I think it was called Quarry, and in it about half of the level is hidden away, with a load of monsters and pickups there too.

Yeah, many of the maps have stuff like this. I think your talking about MAP04, basically the whole level has a duplicate secret area. I think it would've been better if the exit in the "Dark World" was the only one that worked, because to beat the level all you have to do is run up and down a staircase.

The first time I played MAP22 TNT, I was able to skip most of the map because who ever made it didn't realize that walkover triggers work when...

...I have no idea, he was just being a dumbass.

The E2M4 and E2M5 secrets were so impressive. Especially the pipe columns in E2M4 and the one near the nukage circle.

Shotgun at the start of MAP10. (Yeah, I know that it is not marked as secret.) It really feels like it should be here. :)

Yep - E1M3 Soulsphere is a classic.

My all time fav secret is Doom2/Map06 - the room with the sphere, backpack, some stuff and barrels... it stuck out from the rest oft the level... fascinated me in 1995.

Second best maybe the secret room with the funky architecture in Map31.

I'll also have to add in the whole episode 1 of Doom. Now, I can find practically everything in it, and it has lost alot of charm over the time, but I have the fondest memories of finding the secrets in E1.

Another notable secret from E1 must be the chainsaw secret in the second map.

I would say DooM2 map11 invisible sphere

I always saw it, but never get managed to get it

when I discovered how to get it, whoa :D that was great

2nd one should be map06 which was described 2 posts above.. it is just unique :)

I'm trying to think of a good secret that I would consider "memorable," and the one that keeps coming to mind is the chainsaw secret in e1m2, so I guess that makes it memorable by definition. Back in the early days of my Doom career I never quite figured out how to get that door open reliably - sometimes it seemed to magically open itself, but usually it stayed shut. That, and the weird switch that both lowered a pillar and raised a floor, made this secret feel mysterious and special.

Another "memorable" secret for me is one that doesn't actually exist - some kid in elementary school told me that he managed to kill all the monsters in the final room of e1m8, and after that, he climbed a ladder and found three secret weapons. Somehow I still haven't forgotten that.

Phobus said:

I think he means Excalibur, as in MAP30 of Eternal Doom III - which is one hell of a lot of thinking for a map, particularly if its anywhere near as big as I remember it being.

Oh jeez. I never managed to finish that level without watching a demo of it. Some paths the player has to take are insanely obscure.