Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
robo-ky

Sprinting and Doom1

I started to realize the sprinting in this game is ridiculous.
Remember how strangely easy doom1 was.. almost like it was made for some-won who's not running like a maniac constantly dodging every fireball and avoiding being malay atacked by the bull demons with ease.
Could it have been harder because it was harder to sprint wile fighting back in the days when it was a supernintendo/playstation game?
I remember being a kid playing doom for playstation and it seemed much harder to dodge attacks, meby this is why.

Enyway i changed my sprinting control to a odd button like "v" and it causes me to have to play alot more tactically. Has enywon else experimented with changing the sprint control form "Shift"?

The original PC version always had this "sprinting" you are talking about. The keyboard controls alone were far superior to the console gamepads, and combining mouse + keyboard = maximum efficiency, even today. Doom is also a VERY fast FPS by modern standards, which are much slower -perhaps at a more realistic pace, but more boring-.

That's also the reason why console versions of Doom were always received with a mild stomachache: the monsters behaved the same, but the controls were grossly inferior, and so the difficulty had to be toned down to accomodate for it.

Put it simply, give two equally skilled Doomers a mouse+keyboard and a gamepad, and the mouse+keyboarded will just DESTROY the gamepadder in a DM, Coop, or even single player game, under all aspects (speed, aiming accuracy, dodging, attack/strafing coordination, speed modulation, turning accuracy etc.).

UNfortunately, those who grew up with console versions were locked into an inferior control scheme, period. And everybody today plays with "always run" on, anyway.

Plus, sincerely, I dislike games that rely on fake difficulty due to bad or stiff controls etc. so I would never deliberatly cripple a game like that, while knowing full well that I play much more efficiently. Unless someone wants to introduce a "walkers league" to Doom, which forbids running, heh.

thats just what i suspected, cursed efficient computer control's..

It does make deathmatch and capture the flag allot funner. I remember people kicking my ass allot, then i switched to keyboard and mouse for the first time and suddenly being able to compete with them.

The speed is what kept me playing Doom and Quake. NO FPS emulates this break neck mechanic. When I play Halo I can't believe how slow it is.

Without running, I don't think I would have played Doom for more than a few dozen hours. Running so fast, with so much maneuverability, really is the game for me, and sure enough I've realised I can turn most games that bore me into fun ones by simply increasing the player speed - of course, the problem is unlike Doom there isn't thousands of player-created levels balanced with that increased speed in mind.

robo-ky said:

Has enywon else experimented with changing the sprint control form "Shift"?

No...I play using Always Run, like Maes mentioned.

What if monsters were made to move like bots? E1 would be a whole new challenge D:

Maes said:

And everybody today plays with "always run" on, anyway.

Not me. After playing over a solid decade holding down that Shift key, this cannot be undone.

And I assume the original DOOM was much more challenging back in those days because FPS games were still relatively new, and people weren't nearly as experienced with playing them. Heck, with the default keyboard setup, circle-strafing was nearly impossible to pull off. All of these things resulted in awkwardly-moving players who got offed by those demons much more easily than they do today.

Megamur said:

Not me. After playing over a solid decade holding down that Shift key, this cannot be undone.

Lol tru dat, I had to actually try to get rid of that habit, even after switching from pure keyboard to WASD + mouse, because if was still a natural instinct to keep the shift key pressed ;-)

Megamur said:

And I assume the original DOOM was much more challenging back in those days because FPS games were still relatively new, and people weren't nearly as experienced with playing them.

Doom was quite unique in its day and age, even among other single-player FPS that followed, in that they player was grossly overpowered for what regards firepower and mobility compared to monsters. Yeah, initially it may be hard, but try just about any other FPS: they all focused on making individual monsters grossly overpowered compared to the player, and, more importantly, much more mobile. In Doom you can outrun almost everything, including many projectiles, and you can literally run rings around your opponents, which have the mobility of a fossilized cod, in comparison.

In other FPS, the situation is practically reversed.

Well, except in modern FPS games, where everybody just ducks behind things and takes potshots until the other guy is dead. In those cases, nobody's mobile.

Well, if your opponents are commandos/soldiers/gangstas etc. which are supposed to fight realistically, yes.

If they are mostly melee-capable monsters, like in Doom 3, they often have much more mobility than the player, a wider arsenal of close-combat moves, while the player just sucks at both evading and having a similarly powerful (and easily usable) melee attack.

Sometimes CPU opponents can even do backflips/sommersaults just before being hit by your bullets, which you just can't perform.