Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
blob1024

while playing..

Hello there!
I just felt like trolling a bit as well, beside posting speedruns of mine. I was actually wondering if professional/casual players do anything in particular while playing; getting a drink, eating a snack? or simply straight focused on obliterating the demons like a true warrior?

I often fetch a beer on my desk as small break between a run and the other when I'm nervous. Which happens like always, lol

I honestly start to think my patience is pretty well trained speedrunning, but something I would really love to have a cacodemon-doll (jesus, are there any of this kind for sale?) and punch it till it explodes to chill a bit. ( and press space bar to restart the fragfest ;P )

also, how patient are the speedrunners time-wise? satisfied at first glances of a record? or are there plenty of perfezionist keeping trying and trying to improve even an own time for days?
cheers ;o

I'm a perfectionist in other things, but since I've only been playing DooM a few months I can't really afford to be that way yet time-wise. What takes better players an hour or so to achieve would likely take me a week. Luckily I can at least play a few hours a day and get better for now, I certainly won't have this kind of time in the fall when I transfer to university...Basically with the understanding that I'm not that skilled I'm satisfied with a first record that improves a time.

Heh, I usually just eat candy :D If there's some time for my fingers to get quickly one of those long lasting ones :DD Sometimes I drink cola (i.e doom2 map13 the slow elevator). I don't use pause (alt-tab or how did it work?) because for me it takes my concentration away. When there's no candy/cola I eat raw spaghetti or just listen to music.

For me it's not really hard to play 12 hours straight, sometimes I get headaches but I forget them after a while. When I was playing pa17 my usual day was: 4 hours school, 8 hours sleep and 9 hours pacifist attempts. After a long sessions I asked myself "why?".

I'm not perfectionist with my speedruns because if I was, I would still grind for 28 second map31 pacifist. I don't really care about the time if the run I'm doing is 'table filler' like pa17.

Lately I have lost motivation/interest in doom because of the time sink and reality escaping :( And I can't really share my demos/experiences with friends (yeah, I still have some) or anyone in the real life because they wouldn't understand the work done and I guess it's kind of dumb anyways even if the end result is satisfying.

Well, I guess this is one my of the last posts in a while because I wanna concentrate other things than video games, so maybe I should share some of my "tricks" or "routes".

Map14 uv speed: You don't need the blue armor so 19s is possible. I think 18s would be optimal this way. (yeah, the idea is just like my nomo run, except the beginning to the rocket launcher)
Map24: There's one potential TAS trick http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3xVkdDC7is . Then there's little route in the blue room. After pressing the last button, go 'deeper' than the last button which saves 0.3-0.5seconds which is a surprising amount, imo (this way it's actually easy to get 36seconds S40 with monsters, without the jump of course). With S50 it shouldn't be too hard to make it in 32 seconds with the jump.
Map31: It's possible to get 2 or maybe even 3 door tricks done in a single attempt, but it's too rare, maybe TAS? I was working on 31second secret exit but lost the motivation after ruining my 'soldier opens door tricks' every time. (my fastest time without the door trick was 32.66 if someone cares or is interested)
E4M6 pacifist: Problem here is not to die (oh really) and get the cyber demon in action. After cyber demon is aware, go near the yellow key and cyber demon will shoot rocket to baron of hell. Now go near the cyber demon through teleport and wait for cyber demon to get angry to the baron of hell. Now block the cyber demon to lanter and the baron of hell will kill it after shooting 30minutes.

Well, I guess this reply was a little off topic but I don't really care this time. Last I wanna say thanks to the czech-n players, I watched every nomo demo from you guys :)

See ya (or not)

i can spend ungodly amounts of time grinding speedruns, it seems to flow faster when i get "into the zone", heh. i specialize in trick speedruns, often very short, so either i just aim to execute all the tricks/exploits "fast enough", or i grind a near optimum run where i know exactly what time i need. sometimes i will reach the goal time with a low exit like .23, which means roll eyes and go back to grinding for another second down. when recording maxes i use my speed experience as a sort of reference. i mean if i get a good time, even a large improvement over the existing record, but it feels too easy/fast/cheap, i will go back and push it further down until i hit a barrier. when that barrier falls, which is often very much later, i call it a day.

i'm focused during the session and due to the nature of my speedruns i restart all the time, mostly without pauses. i don't get stressed or pissed off when the game denies me or even owns me with the goal almost in grasp, but i see through red murderous haze when outside forces disrupt me during the recordings.

oh and my choice of poison is red wine or mead. a sip every now and then... i get a lot of opportunities with all the deaths/abandoned runs, heh. i tend to avoid beer for these sessions, because it either goes stale or disrupts the sesh with bathroom calls. :)

I exclusively listen to my whole collection of Alicia Keys when I'm recording. Her voice and music calms my nerves, so I don't get nearly as nervous. Nothing else soothes me as much as her stuff, so...who knows.

Water is usually fine for me, unless I'm skipping lunch or dinner to concentrate - then I'll have to bust out a protein shake or something. Don't worry, it's not as hardcore as it sounds, as I just have an irregular eating habit sometimes.

I think I'm about as patient as it gets, although Artem probably has me beat in that regard. :)

Edit: Just remembered that a few days ago when I was recording TGH's Year_23, I had some GSL vods streaming in the background. I guess Tasteless and Artosis' voices have a calming effect, lol. (GSL is the pro SC2 league in Korea)

Qaatar said:

Edit: Just remembered that a few days ago when I was recording TGH's Year_23, I had some GSL vods streaming in the background. I guess Tasteless and Artosis' voices have a calming effect, lol. (GSL is the pro SC2 league in Korea)

I usually play Minesweeper while watching the GSL. :)

And about the topic, when I played Doom, three things were important: drinking water, enough chocolate and good music (for example Rush, Death, Sting, Kate Bush, Fates Warning). Never ingame music, it ruins my nerves, when I have to listen to the same tune again and again and again, which of course happens if you have to start the same level hundreds of times during a speedrunning session.

I'd rather not record too long, after 2 hours I'm getting brainwashed if doing the same map all over. Preferably without any kind of background music.

During casual play, right hand to play with mouse and left hand to fa... ... errm wait never mind.

I will try to have a rest, or listen to some music first. Keep speedrunning at the same map which always fail may easily lead me lost patience. I don't need to drink water oftenly, I don't want to have any affect when speedrunning. But I will like to play maps with wonderful textures and music. Like SOD map31, I keep playing and playing for more than 100 times, I choose it because I like the music and design.

eh yep. losing patience is when I start to get better times instead :P
I always play with original doom music, and that's an important matter, considering the time ill invest in trying to improve the time

I always invest some more time in levels with good music after all

I believe my last 3 runs posted here have all been done with a slight buzz going, including sc11-140. I like playing Doom, and I like drinking. When I have a couple, I tend to play more aggressively and take risks. Of course, getting drunk and doing an FDA is an interesting idea... [/me opens another beer]

1 week bump...I didn't think this deserved a new thread, but I was wondering what sort of things annoy you while recording? Here are some of mine:

• Missing the exit switch
  • When you're recording on a map for a long period of time, and out of nowhere a monster will do something you haven't seen in all of your attempts and it screws you up
  • Chaingunners and revenants...
  • Monsters taking more hits then they "should" (4 rockets for mancubus, 3 shells for pig, etc)
  • Monsters failing to teleport in

NoobBait said:

1 week bump...I didn't think this deserved a new thread, but I was wondering what sort of things annoy you while recording? Here are some of mine:

• Missing the exit switch
  • When you're recording on a map for a long period of time, and out of nowhere a monster will do something you haven't seen in all of your attempts and it screws you up
  • Chaingunners and revenants...
  • Monsters taking more hits then they "should" (4 rockets for mancubus, 3 shells for pig, etc)
  • Monsters failing to teleport in

I have the same feelings. Overall, the unpredictability/meanness of Doom monsters is what makes it so frustrating to handle them with the highest level of aggression and operativeness. Today, I find all the levels from Doom2, FDoom and even HR to be extremely easy for casual playing, but the randomness of enemy behavior often makes them extremely hard for serious, sporty playing.

Usually, little monsters give me by far the most trouble during recording (both on UV and NM), generally because they are the main health wreckers. My most hated ones are chaingunners and shotgunners. Nasty revenants and archviles become more fair with some experience in reflecting their attacks at particular spots. As for the infamous PEs, they usually don't give me big trouble at all (except when they are hanging in awkward, hard-to-hit positions). PE acts reasonably slowly, and in close combat she is simply helpless :-)

[quote]NoobBait said:
Monsters taking more hits then they "should" (4 rockets for mancubus, 3 shells for pig, etc)
Monsters failing to teleport in
[quote]
^ this. Definitely!
additionally I really hate weird tricks-secrets, or hard jump secrets which ruins the whole run if failed even once, in most of the case

SAV88 said:
PE acts reasonably slowly, and in close combat she is simply helpless :-)

wtf, are PEs.. a SHE?? *passes out
I really have never thought of the gender of it lol

blob1024 said:

I really have never thought of the gender of it lol

In my native language, the word "elemental" has a feminine gender :-)

Another related question: when you want to record UV-Max demo but you don't know how to find all the secrets, do you look them up in the editor or in the game?

Well, PE gives birth to lost souls, so I guess SAV88 is right.

additionally I really hate weird tricks-secrets, or hard jump secrets which ruins the whole run if failed even once, in most of the case

Haha, memories of WOS map06... There is very hard jump-secret right at the end of the map, and if you fail it - you're dead.

Memfis said:

Another related question: when you want to record UV-Max demo but you don't know how to find all the secrets, do you look them up in the editor or in the game?

now now, thats a good question.
in fact I have troubles with that rather often
that was the reason for which I skipped a few maps of cc1 back then when I was filling the empty tables there
I search for those in the level, or rely for the ones I cant find, on previous demos. I never opened an editor myself, but if I'll be bored of speedrunning, I may start creating some maps.
I wish to create up a new megawad diablo1-inspired actually (and would be even rather oriented in episodes by itself if you know the game.

Topic #1:

While I'm trying to record a run I don't do much of anything. I turn off the in-game music and shut out the outside world by wearing headphones (which also makes it easier to locate monsters with sound cues). If there's a drink nearby then I'll reflexively take a sip every time an attempt fails, while I'm quitting and restarting Doom with my other hand.

What's more important for me than what I do while recording is what I do before: I have to get myself into a confident, comfortable mindset where I'm ready to face a challenge, determined to persevere through repeated failures, and willing to accept that I might not survive even a single attempt in an entire recording session. My mind is my own worst enemy so this is often difficult.

Topic #2:

Having to replay the first levels in a multi-level run over and over and over is annoying for me, which might be why I've never finished a multi-level run. It also goes without saying that interruptions are a huge pain.

Topic #3:

Even for the most straight-forward speedrun on the simplest map, I'll still study the map in an editor. Understanding a map inside and out is always a great advantage, and can reveal possibilities you never would have guessed at otherwise.

Creaphis said:

What's more important for me than what I do while recording is what I do before: I have to get myself into a confident, comfortable mindset where I'm ready to face a challenge, determined to persevere through repeated failures, and willing to accept that I might not survive even a single attempt in an entire recording session. My mind is my own worst enemy so this is often difficult.

These painful things are very familiar to me. But even failing 100% of the attempts in a 10-hour recording session is not that fruitless, as it gives me the experience in handling various tricky scenes of the run. The right sequences of reflexes (for rightly balanced moves/shots/timings) are seeping into my subconscious, so my success rate of progressing far into the level becomes higher. So if I reach the first exit in the first day, it can become possible for me to pull out 5-6 more confident, less shaky exits in the second day :-)

Currently I'm busy with theoretical and practical work in optimizing a long demo for a huge thrilling level, which can take some extra weeks to complete. So excuse me for a low frequency of uploads.