fodders

ZDoom of PRDoom?

ZDoom or PRDoom?  

311 members have voted

1. 1. ZDoom or PRDoom?

• Zdoom
    • PRDoom

Originally posted by deathwarrior
who cares, at least they're making the right choice.

*sob*

PRboom owns zdoom though, especially for DM. Nothing quite as retarded as entering a coop server and finding that autoaim has been disabled and that your teammate beat map07 in 2.5 seconds by jumping to the exit switch.

Originally posted by Arioch
<sarcasm> LOOKS LIKE PRBOOM'S TEH WINNAR </sarcasm>

actually, that's called creative spamming.

To whoever is cheating the poll, you're only cheating yourself. You'll be one of the very few that actually play PrDaemon. Good luck finding a server pal.

So theres a chance that won't be taken as official?! Phew.. i shit a brick when i saw it, PRboom doesn't work too well for me ;-)

You'll be one of the very few that actually play PrDaemon. Good luck finding a server pal.

heh. Actually the few who will play "PrDaemon" are the few who actually play ZDaemon now. Most of the people who post here or who have posted in favor of ZDoom aren't regular doom dm'rs anyways. Seems kinda moot to ask the opinons of people who post mindless rants on a forum about a game they rarely play. Thats just thoughts on the subject.

Umm, why can't ZDaemon simply be programmed to disable many non-Doom-like features such as jumping and mlook and others if people dislike them so much? Plus, with ZDoom you're all set for maps which have slopes and skyboxes and all sorts of other ZDoom features. And with the newly-resurrected ZDoomGL, is a ZDaemonGL now more than just a beautiful dream?

That's my $20.

Your points are valid, However...

Umm, why can't ZDaemon simply be programmed to disable many non-Doom-like features such as jumping and mlook and others if people dislike them so much?

ZDaemon is already programmed to disable those features; most ZDaemon servers are run with old dm settings includeing the re-addition of silent bfg and respawn sounds(things that zdoom removed). Most, not necessarily myself, feel that the addtion of 'quake code' , ie quake mouse code, removes too much of the orginal doom feel. And to be truthful, what it boils down to is that we have a bunch of 'oldschool wannabes'(not me, im newschool biatch :) ) trying to recreate that golden era of doom dm when so many "doom gods" emerged.

Plus, with ZDoom you're all set for maps which have slopes and skyboxes and all sorts of other ZDoom features.

Those features are great accomplishments and all.. but you have to remember, ZDaemon has proven to be a dm centric port. Most of the action taking place on ZDaemon is going to be DM(execeptions being a few coop games and a few tag games). Not one DM map comes to mind that has ever taken advantage of those features nor can i think of any real advantage to having them implemented for a deathmatch. The majority of maps played on ZDaemon were made prior to '96; thus those zdoom specific features just fall by the wayside, much like the skin support currently in zdaemon.

With all of that said, if were are just going to play old classic dm maps in old classic dm settings.. wouldn't it be logically to follow that line of thinking and play DM on a port that is as close to original doom as possible? The more I type the more I know its not worth the time, since if zdaemon ever was ported prboom, issues would arise and people would bitch(much like most of the bitching this topic has generated so far) :).

anyway's thats my $20.01.

Originally posted by Liam the Bard
PRboom owns zdoom though, especially for DM.

ROFLMFAO!!!!!!!!!!! THAT'S THE FUNNIEST SHIT I'VE HEARD ALL DAY!!!!!!!!

zdoom should be used for what it's good at, playing single player maps made especially for zdoom. The gameplay is too far from the original doom (even with mlook and jumping off) to play deathmatch or vanilla doom maps seriously.

Since I began making maps on Zdoom, I think it's better Zdoom. Plus I can't play more than 10 mins on good'ol doom 'cause the pixelisation is too ugly to look at.

First off, I would love to see a new source port for daemon, just to see what it will do. But, after seeing the disappointing performance of PRBoom, i'm not too sure=( Also, i respect the "oldschooler" mentality of deathmatch, but the game needs to be appealing to all. The "Quake" controls of ZDoom is what got me to kick the Q3 habit in the first place, and return to Doom. So, 'Fang, have a heart and include mlook.

Originally posted by pritch
Hmm, in my own head I'm 60 Zdoom 40 PRBoom.

Me too, pretty much.