Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I just got back from watching it and it was pretty awesome. It was just nonstop action. This movie was like Quake 2 and Quake Wars: Enemy Territories meets Black Hack Down. The aliens totally reminded me of the Strogg. I guess that was mostly due to all their cybernetic technology and the guns being attached to their arm. The only thing that was kind of annoying was the shaky cam. Yeah, it added to the "realism" and the grittiness, but I got a little sick after awhile.

So has anyone else watched it yet?

Nope. My friend was gonna take me (I'm too cheap to pay for a movie on my own dime), but the tickets were all sold out. Good to hear that it's enjoyable though.

Lizardcommando said:

I just got back from watching it and it was pretty awesome. It was just nonstop action. This movie was like Quake 2 and Quake Wars: Enemy Territories meets Black Hack Down. The aliens totally reminded me of the Strogg. I guess that was mostly due to all their cybernetic technology and the guns being attached to their arm. The only thing that was kind of annoying was the shaky cam. Yeah, it added to the "realism" and the grittiness, but I got a little sick after awhile.

Perhaps the closest Post-Quake 1 (Quake 2/4/Enemy Territory) era movie we will get?

Lizardcommando said:

Nope, and never will, not after you admitted there was shaky cam in it...

Jannak said:

Perhaps the closest Post-Quake 1 (Quake 2/4/Enemy Territory) era movie we will get?

Oh I hope not. I want an actual Quake 2/4/ET movie. If B:LA pulled off alien cyborgs, so could a Q2/4/ET movie.

guys

what if the robots represent americans

and the humans represent the indians

so deep

Except that the invasion was worldwide.

I saw this earlier today. I found it enjoyable, certainly not life-altering, but well worth watching if you enjoy sci-fi, alien invasions, robots, and 'splosions.

Megalyth said:

Except that the invasion was worldwide.

Except

what if the native americans took over the world... and then the aliens came and tried to take over.

0_0

What if...

It seems as if the aliens have already invaded... starting with the Doomworld forums!

O SHI—

Mr. Freeze said:

guys

what if the robots represent americans

and the humans represent the indians

so deep

It will be when viewed in true 3d. :o

Lizardcommando said:

The only thing that was kind of annoying was the shaky cam.

Wait, are we talking Bourne Identity shaky cam that I liked or Blair Witch/Cloverfield shaky cam that I hated? (Which is weird because I loved District 9's cinematography). Either way I'll probably wait to rent it. (Says the guy who's going to waste money on Sucker Punch in theaters even though it's probably over hyped crap.)

Megalyth said:

0_0

What if...

It seems as if the aliens have already invaded... starting with the Doomworld forums!

O SHI—

No, Megalyth, you are the aliens.

Johnatone said:

(Which is weird because I loved District 9's cinematography).

The camera man wasn't holding the camera like he was having some kind of god damn seizure and focus on his feet half the time in District 9.

Johnatone said:

Wait, are we talking Bourne Identity shaky cam that I liked or Blair Witch/Cloverfield shaky cam that I hated?

It's more like the Cloverfield shakycam. It getst really distracting at certain points in the movie.

But that makes it reeeel!!!!111one

A certain movie that may just happen to be mentioned in my title started my dislike of the whole "it's just like the real thing because you can't see shit" shaky-cam thing.

And yes, I know that in Blair Witch it was all wrapped up with the "is this actual found footage" thing but I quickly got past that and simply wanted to see what was meant to be going on properly.

The funny thing about shaky cam is that the camera is always rock steady when they need it be, usually during exposition or when they need a close up of someone's face.

Just got back from the theater. It sucked. I was actually thinking about walking out. But I toughed it out. I hate when movies have emotional parts involving characters that have not been fleshed out at all and expect it to work. Good night.

Snarboo said:

The funny thing about shaky cam is that the camera is always rock steady when they need it be, usually during exposition or when they need a close up of someone's face.

I'm getting tire of this style of cinematography.

Technician said:

I'm getting tire of this style of cinematography.

The reality is that the steady cam is less time consuming and more convenient to setup than your traditional camera and dolly. It also gives the cinematographer alot of free fluid motion.

This also results in scenes where it can be utilized to create shaky scenes in the name of action immersion. Terrible concept, it just frustrates the viewer and they aren't able to focus on anything specific. Case in point, Cloverfield.

Uh as for Thread Topic; Battle:LA, haven't seen it myself. But my friend and his gf saw it and said the action scenes were ok but the rest of it sucks. Case in point they bursted out into laughter during a scene which was supposed to be a tear jerker. Which might be a spoiler if I mentioned what it is. Don't let that discourage you from seeing it I guess, but after they gave me their crtique I've no desire to see it.

I really enjoyed Cloverfield... the camera wasn't that shaky. I don't understand why people say it's like the camera guy is having a seizure. When you run, you automatically 'shake,' it's not like friggin Wolfenstein.

Anyway, Battle:LA looks pretty cool, I want to go see it. Just wish I had money to see it in theatre.

Shaky cam has got to be the single most overrated film device in recent history. I can understand it's applications in, say, an intense action sequence. So long as there's a degree of restraint (that is, less jerkiness) I can tolerate it, but when it comes to two people drinkin' a cup of Joe and talking about current events, steady that motherfucker.

when it comes to two people drinkin' a cup of Joe and talking about current events, steady that motherfucker

Heh, I just pictured a drama filmed entirely in full-action shaky-cam. Parody gold. Or not.

PRIMEVAL said:

I really enjoyed Cloverfield... the camera wasn't that shaky. I don't understand why people say it's like the camera guy is having a seizure. When you run, you automatically 'shake,' it's not like friggin Wolfenstein.

This is true, but sadly in their efforts to create a realistic experience they forgot something important. Beth gets impaled on a metal spike. Then she gets pulled off of it and she's running around like nothing ever happened. When realistically she'd have just bled out and die immediately thereafter.

So if they could blunder that, surely they could have had a camera that didn't shake like a one legged gnome that drank moonshine.

Snakes said:

...but when it comes to two people drinkin' a cup of Joe and talking about current events, steady that motherfucker.

Battlestar Galactica and Stargate Universe seem pretty bad about that.