Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Technician

Possible Doom Movie Reboot in 3D

Snakes said:

Hey, you do realize that the awfulness of Piranha 3D was intentional, right?

Anyways, there are plenty of films that have come out in the last 5 years that have enough individual merit to stand on their own 2 legs. Children of Men, 28 Days Later, Exit Through the Gift Shop, In Bruges, Black Dynamine.... I could keep listing really. Films have always been, for the most part, derivative of what's come out before. Each story, though, can have enough differentiation in character and setting that the meaning of two seemingly similar films are completely different in context. You should try to pick up on that.

Oh, and probably watch better films.

name one movie made within 2009-2011 that is like nothing else you have seen.

Even movie commercials now look the same. Two black bars on top of the screen, a message saying "number 1 movie in america", and depending on the genre-
horror-very shaky camera angles with a typical red layer on top. White letters, static. Repeated screaming.
Action- loads of a-splosionz. Dutch Angles, more "#1s" thrown into the mix.

And why is every movie out now PG-13?

yellowmadness54 said:

name one movie made within 2009-2011 that is like nothing else you have seen.

If we can go back to 2008, Postal: the Movie easily qualifies ;-)

For 2005, Factotum is also great, based on Bukowski's life.
For 2006, "Fascisti su Marte" (Fascists on Mars) is also awesome.

I can't remember everything, but I sure saw at least half a dozen decent movies recently, most of them European. Sure, if you only make your judgements based on run-of-the-mill formuliac Hollywood "blockbusters", then everything is gonna seem like crap.

Maes said:

If we can go back to 2008, Postal: the Movie easily qualifies ;-)

For 2005, Factotum is also great, based on Bukowski's life.
For 2006, "Fascisti su Marte" (Fascists on Mars) is also awesome.

I can't remember everything, but I sure saw at least half a dozen decent movies recently, most of them European. Sure, if you only make your judgements based on run-of-the-mill formuliac Hollywood "blockbusters", then everything is gonna seem like crap.

the best movies I've seen are from 1980s to early 2000s

like Evil Dead's, returon of the living dead, the mummy, austin powers, poltergiest, 6th sense, etc.

I hate new stuff, too, but you're just asking for people to yell at you with remarks like that.

2010 - 2011

Hmm, good movies... Toy Story 3 was pretty good (not as good as 1 and 2 but still good), and that fits with 2010... Okay, um... Well that's all I got. But there is ONE for you.

yellowmadness54 said:

the best movies I've seen are from 1980s to early 2000s

like Evil Dead's, returon of the living dead, the mummy, austin powers, poltergiest, 6th sense, etc.

Throw in Banana Joe and Tennessee Buck, while you're at it :-p

District 9
Exit Through the Gift Shop
The Town
Black Dynamite
Fantastic Mr. Fox
Toy Story 3
In the Loop
A Serious Man
Black Dynamite
Moon
The Road

There are quite a few I've been meaning to see, as well. Enter the Void, A Prophet, Das weisse Band, etc.

Snakes said:

District 9
The Town
Black Dynamite
Fantastic Mr. Fox
Toy Story 3
In the Loop
A Serious Man
Black Dynamite
Moon
The Road

There are quite a few I've been meaning to see, as well. Enter the Void, A Prophet, Das weisse Band, etc.

Oh I did forget about district 9 that was good.

All I'm saying is most movies coming out look like copies of the previous. Too many are recieving PG-13, like their own personal limit or something.

They just all look bland and look like theres nothing new to offer.

Peter Jackson, though, never lets me down (braindead, 2007)

I was all set up for Moon to be some awesome psychological horror/thriller, and...then it totally wasn't. And I was bummed.

Snakes said:

District 9
The Town
Black Dynamite
Fantastic Mr. Fox
Toy Story 3
In the Loop
A Serious Man
Black Dynamite
Moon
The Road

Black Dynamite was that good huh?

Violator said:

that wheelchair demons was the best!

Yet no one was kill by wheelchair demons.

DoomUK said:

Yet no one was kill by wheelchair demons.

Well, John Stalvern's dad saided to him: "You will be kill by demons", not wheelchair demons. And then John was a zombie.

Does the world really need movies based on video games? Name one video game based movie that was necessary to film history. The plots in the actual games, RPGs, Adventure, tend to be far better than a lot of what Hollywood craps out its infected anus.

bimlanders said:

Name one video game based movie that was necessary to film history.

Uhm....Tron (although it's debatable if it was based of any actual video games already out at the time)...and Postal: The movie ;-)

I think the closest we're ever going to get to a doom movie was Event Horizon. To me it's like a prequel to the original Doom storyline.

destx said:

I think the closest we're ever going to get to a doom movie was Event Horizon. To me it's like a prequel to the original Doom storyline.

Well said. When I first saw it, as a video rental looong ago, I couldn't help but see some similarities with Doom and not-so-thinly veiled references to it (unlike e.g. the apparently promising but then disappointing title, Omega Doom).

If there ever was a movie that was a successful cross of Doom and Doom 3, Event Horizon would be it. And don't forget, Doom was initially meant to be based on Alien, among other things ;-)

Maes said:

And don't forget, Doom was initially meant to be based on Alien, among other things ;-)

I've heard conflicting reports about that. Some sources say DOOM was originally going to be an Aliens game, but Id decided to make their own property instead; others said that FOX came to Id with the Aliens license while DOOM was already in production, and Id briefly considered making an Aliens game out of DOOM, but decided against it.

Also, yes, for the time being, Event Horizon is the best you'll get. Even the name of the company they worked for was similar to "UAC."

If they made another Doom movie it couldn't possibly be worse than previous one..... right?

POTGIESSER said:

If they made another Doom movie it couldn't possibly be worse than previous one..... right?

Imagine the Doom movie, but with Direct-to-Video production values. You just haven't seen enough modern bad sci-fi, else you'd know how low they can stoop ;-)

Maes said:

Imagine the Doom movie, but with Direct-to-Video production values. You just haven't seen enough modern bad sci-fi, else you'd know how low they can stoop ;-)

Indeed.

Also, he clearly hasn't subjected himself to Alien Resurrection in order to be edified on what a shit popcorn movie that desecrates the established canon that came before it is really all about.

I actually enjoyed Alien Resurrection. The Doom movie was terrible, so you'd have to hold that pile of shit as being pretty damn sacred to perceive it as being desecrated in the first place.

Maes said:

There's no mention of the actual production values in the teeny article. A straight to DVD release/movie of the week, have pretty low production values. Not quite on par with low budgets.

Out one day straight to television and on the movie rack. Completely forgotten the next. There's a pretty big distinction.

Uh chances are this is talk like there was for a decade before the first Doom movie. Chances are we won't see another Doom movie until after the next Doom is released.