Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
neubejiita

My strife map.

http://www.bejiitaswrath.com/files/waste.zip

This is just a simple little map for strife I am working on. I have worked out how to use the quest items by using the gate item which you have to destroy to allow the player to progress through the map.

I just want to know what you think of this so far, as I only have a basic layout so far, but I am making good progress and this will be only a standalone map, not one that really continues into the rest of the game so if anything in this map interferes with the rest of the quests in Strife I am not worried I just want to make a good nukage refinery map using this excellent Doom clone.

Runs fine with Chocolate strife as well.

http://www.bejiitaswrath.com/files/strife/ Here are some screenshots, I know you like to see some of those.

Nice to see others working with strife. :)

Note that Strife starts on Map02, not Map01, I had to warp to the map to play it.

The layout is pretty simple and not very interesting imo. You've got a lot of long, slim halls and open areas with an excessive number of shrubs. Don't understand the use of impassible lines either.

Looking forward to seeing how the map shapes up, though. :)

Khorus said:

Note that Strife starts on Map02, not Map01, I had to warp to the map to play it.

I'd say MAP01 has a much more appropriate music track for an action-oriented map, however ;)

Quasar said:

I'd say MAP01 has a much more appropriate music track for an action-oriented map, however ;)

Hehe, put that change music tag (203) to use. :p

alterworldruler said:

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e88/Kaiseroo/strifeshot1.jpg

Hey, how do I get out of this secret area? (With a new weapon). At least in chocolate strife, I wasn't able to get out of it at all. Otherwise, very nice map!

I will have to put in some steps to get back up, but that is easily fixed. I am happy people like the map, I will be playing some more Strife to get some more ideas, I still have to put in the alarm system and maybe some spawn points for the soldiers.

Khorus said:

Hehe, put that change music tag (203) to use. :p

There's an unfortunate reason they didn't end up using this (and if you look at the music lump names it is immediately evident that the original plans for the game called for incidental music that would change dynamically to fit the mood of the game at a given point), and that's that when you save and reload, the original music for the level will start playing again.

This could have been fixed, sadly, if they had implemented the "idmusnum" variable like BOOM did, to save the currently playing music track >_>

Quasar said:

There's an unfortunate reason they didn't end up using this (and if you look at the music lump names it is immediately evident that the original plans for the game called for incidental music that would change dynamically to fit the mood of the game at a given point), and that's that when you save and reload, the original music for the level will start playing again.

This could have been fixed, sadly, if they had implemented the "idmusnum" variable like BOOM did, to save the currently playing music track >_>

That really sucks.. :/ It worked fine in ZDoom on my limit removing map, but I was planning on using this throughout some vanilla maps too. Glad I know this now. Sorry for the derail to OP. ;)

Yeah, ZDoom does save and restore the currently-playing music. I'm sure that once Eternity gets Strife support, it will do so too (after all, the Boom code is in already).

Gez said:

Yeah, ZDoom does save and restore the currently-playing music. I'm sure that once Eternity gets Strife support, it will do so too (after all, the Boom code is in already).

I am considering, after Chocolate Strife is relatively finalized, creating a derivative "Strife Plus" version which would remove vanilla limits and "fix" some of the more glaring issues such as this - and maybe even add some obvious, simple extensions, such as a line type which could *give* quest flags.

Quasar said:

I am considering, after Chocolate Strife is relatively finalized, creating a derivative "Strife Plus" version which would remove vanilla limits and "fix" some of the more glaring issues such as this - and maybe even add some obvious, simple extensions, such as a line type which could *give* quest flags.

That would be fantastic. :)

Khorus said:

That would be fantastic. :)

I have a feeling it might get poo-poo'd by some community members, however...

Quasar said:

Well, I'm not sure how much of it qualifies as justified versus subjective fixing. As I said in the post above, the mood (music) of the game is changeable enough by switching the map. The 203 linedef fix sounds more fitting for a port like Eternity...

But do as you wish, who am I to demand? :)

Quasar said:

Fuck them.

printz said:

Well, I'm not sure how much of it qualifies as justified versus subjective fixing.

Save the game and immediately load that save. If anything happens differently from how it would have happened if you didn't save and reload at all, then it is a bug and fixing it justified.

This covers music changes as well as target/tracer/etc. pointers.

kristus said:

Fuck them.

While tempting to use such an attitude, one has to consider that if any potential extensions in a "Strife Plus" port aren't picked up by ZDoom, using them for most Strife levels would probably be a bad idea. However, I would of course be more than happy to openly discuss and collaborate on what such extensions, if any, should and can be; for example, what line numbers are best used, and how certain things should work so that they would function easily via the existing level translation system.

Quasar said:

...one has to consider that if any potential extensions in a "Strife Plus" port aren't picked up by ZDoom, using them for most Strife levels would probably be a bad idea...

Not necessarily, in this case - you have the definitive version right now. ZDoom empirically strives to achieve what you have scientifically accomplished, which puts you in a unique position to decide what Strife Plus should do.
Hell, it's obvious to me that you aspire to maintain compatibility as much as reasonably possible. As with UDMF, just define a good superset of functionality, and go for it. But, unlike UDMF, there's really no need to "design by committee", as that will surely be tense. Go forth and lead, and let everyone else follow! ZDoom should probably check it's Strife implementation line-for-line with Chocolate Strife as it is anyway.

kb1 said:

ZDoom should probably check it's Strife implementation line-for-line with Chocolate Strife as it is anyway.

Two reasons not to:
1. Out of scope. ZDoom never aimed at reaching perfect vanilla emulation for Strife. There are several points on which it deliberately diverges.
2. Licensing shenanigans.

Gez said:

Two reasons not to...

Good points. Of course, it wouldn't hurt to double-check some things which, aren't necessarily purposefully-different, but different nevertheless. I'm sure ZDoom wants to be as close as reasonably possible.

By the way, nice map! Looking forward to the finished product.