Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
fruitybubbles17

Scary Moments in Doom 3

So I personally haven't had any scary moments in Doom 3, other than being close to dying, but has anyone ever actually been frightened by it? Like playing it in the dark, or even during the day and just been like "Holy shit, that made me shit bricks" ? I am bored and would like to hear what anyone has to say.

Doom 3 scares the shit out of me all the time, almost every monster I occur freaks me out even when playing in the daytime. :D

Doom 3 is surprisingly not scary for me at all.

I was scared by FEAR a few times when really weird stuff started happening, especially in the Extraction Point expansion pack.

Definitely helps to play the game with good earphones at night though!!! It also helps build tension and fear if you play without saves. I got the idea from Alien vs Predator and the second one. In AVP you can only save limited times in the gold edition (and apparently you can't save at all in the non-gold edition which is ridiculous) and the fact that I couldn't save at any time made the game super scary for me... And in the second on super hard difficulty you have to beat the level without saving at all which makes playing as the marine intense and scary.

The same holds true for Doom 3. The beginning levels aren't so bad and I hadn't died at all except for accidentally killing my self with a grenade but that doesn't count because Doom 3 grenades are god awful and don't bounce realistically or predictibally. I could throw a grenade down a long hallway and have the grenade bounce back and be at my feet for a quick OMFG SRSLY WTF moment before I die...

But anyway, I was definitely startled a small number of times when I was really into the atmosphere and whatever but the game isn't all that scary to me until you add this element of tension and not saving. Once you start saving you just run through a part and keep dying and get frustrated. When you don't save, the game becomes an intense fight for your life!!!! I've had many close tooth gritting moments from playing this way and it made me enjoy the game far more.

I do remember one part where I nearly shit bricks though. It was right after you get to the satellite comlink room but it's destroyed because Swann had Cambell blow it up with a BFG9000. (For some reason the player can't do that with his BFG 9000 hahaha, damn scripted events...) When you walk back out of that room, suddenly a white light appears and a shadow of an imp appears under some stairs. I was like WTFFF!!!! TOTALLY NOT EXPECTING THAT!!!!

Oh also when I first encountered the pinky demon and you're trapped in that room and it's tearing down the door. I was like OMFG SHIT SHIT. Then I killed it in 2 shotgun blasts and was like wow that's it?

Hmm also I remember I found this one secret area with some shitty armor shards, and inside that secret area there are some inteeeense whispering voices for some reason. The fact that it was dark and cramped just freaked me the hell out. I think it was on the level on the way to killing Sarge.

Oh and there was this other part where the room is all red and you open a door, and suddenly a demonic voice chants something and this massive red tentacle thing whips out at you and nearly bites you. Now thaaat was weird.

Overall though, the whole monsters popping out of closets and me killing them with one shotgun blast doesn't exactly scare me.

People say "It's so funny/scary you'll shit in your pants", that has never happened to me and never will happen to me, unless I'm 80 and I need depends.

Pretty much the only game that did scare me was Silent Hill for the Playstation.

The is really only scary like when you first play it. But if you go through it agian, odds are you'll find yourself expecting everything, and then its no longer scary (Unless you encounter some secret area and then Imp pops into your face.)

Really, the only games that scare me continuosly are Doom 2 (Arch-Viles man, Arch-Viles...), Carnivores... And thats about it.

GhostlyDeath said:

People say "It's so funny/scary you'll shit in your pants", that has never happened to me and never will happen to me, unless I'm 80 and I need depends.

Pretty much the only game that did scare me was Silent Hill for the Playstation.

Agreed.

When playing DooM³ on a stormy night with the lights off, one can get a little jumpy. My cousin and I caught a few startling and suspenseful moments.

One of the typical Imp-behind-door moments made us jump.
"What would you do if they came out with a DooM f-UUUUUUCK!" (DooM4 question)

The first room with all the demonic symbols, dead bodies, and growth everywhere with that weird ambient noise. Freaked us out a bit.

The first time we see a Hell-Knight really scared my cousin.

Other than those, I don't really remember specific moments that scared me. Playing the game now, I'm not so impressed. Nothing really scares me anymore. FEAR was such a boring game, IMO.

Typically I'm not scared by anything in a video game, so the jump-out-of-the-closet horror in Doom3 got boring pretty quick. But I was pretty freaked out that one time the demon is beating down your door in Administration; when he stopped for a moment I was a bit puzzled, but as soon as I saw him round the corner I was like "Oh, SHOOT!" Of course, then he jumped in the window and I blew him away with my shotgun.

Besides that one event, I was only mildly spooked once or twice by some of the sudden in-your-face attacks, but that's it.

The first 10 minutes i played i was jumpy but after that i lol'd every time i blew something's brain off...

Lol! Doom 3 is'nt scary after all. But when your health is only 5 or 6 % and you're fighting with boss or with hellknight then you'll must say: "HOLY CRAP". **

Roshaan said:

Lol! Doom 3 is'nt scary after all. But when your health is only 5 or 6 % and you're fighting with boss or with hellknight then you'll must say: "HOLY CRAP". **

Unfortunately it didn't have many moments of this kind of tension, either.

I didn't find Doom 3 all that scary but there was a few intense moments like when all those trites show up at once and you end up scrambling about to avoid em...

Also one part I walked into a room after being outside and the sound of something pounding was a bit freaky. I thought something big was gonna come out but nothing happened. Twas just some ambient noises.

Other than that nothing was really scary.

I didn't find F.E.A.R. scary either. Actually Doom 3 was more atmospheric I thought.

I'd have to agree with the general consensus that Doom 3 really isn't that scary, but there were a couple of parts where I got the creeps. One involved the whispering voice telling you to follow it - that set me on edge a lot more than any monster jumping out of a closet. The other was the time when you're introduced to the lost souls. Just the way the woman's head suddenly ripped off, yeah, that was kinda freaky.

Doom 3 didn't really scare me at all, but the hell level sent a few chills up my spine. That level was really well done IMO.

DoomUK said:

Unfortunately it didn't have many moments of this kind of tension, either.

What about nightmare mode then? However, to really enjoy Nightmare mode you have to be very good at the game too, so the kills/deaths ratio doesn't go too low.

Nightmare mode does a surprising job of making the game scarier, since you're so much more vulnerable. A single Imp fireball is enough to take you out if you don't have any extra health from a Soul Cube shot. It might not make the game, like, disturbing, but it at least makes it a good deal more tense.

How ironic, I just had myself a tiny scare moment in Doom 3 not too long ago. I was in Delta Labs and I just got the PDA to restart the Reactor Core, and I stepped out into a hallway and saw a pair of yellow eyes coming towards me in complete darkness, so I think to myself "Oh another zombie, I'll just pull out my Chainsaw and cut him down" But then it started to charge at me at a alarming rate, later I found out it was a Commando, but when it was charging in the darkness and I thought it was a zombie, it was the thought that frightened me.

printz said:

What about nightmare mode then? However, to really enjoy Nightmare mode you have to be very good at the game too, so the kills/deaths ratio doesn't go too low.

Having the soul cube in your inventory makes it kind of meh.

DoomUK said:

Having the soul cube in your inventory makes it kind of meh.

Are you kidding? The Soul Cube adds a great amount of strategy to Nightmare mode, as it's generally your only resource for health. And besides, Nightmare is so hard that you'd be screwed without it.

My this post is'nt for honest players ;-)

Some cheats for doom 3.

Open console then type in these codes:

*CHEATS - EFFECTS*

god - God mode
noclip - No clip
notarget - Invisibility
freeze - Freeze everything
doomhell - Jump to the last level
give all - All weapons, ammo, shields and health
give ammo - Full ammo
give doom95 - Load the '95 version of Doom
give keys - All keys
give berserk - Beserker mode
give health - Health
give weapons - All weapons
give weapon_bfg - BFG
give weapon_shotgun - Shotgun
give weapon_chainsaw - Chainsaw
give weapon_plasmagun - Plasmagun
give weapon_machinegun - Machinegun
give weapon_rocketlauncher - Rocket launcher
give pda - PDA
give pda [hellhole_id] - Get a id software PDA (download names list from above)
spawn [character name] - Spawn a character (download names list from above)
map [map name] - Load a map (download names list from above)
benchmark - Game benchmark
com_showfps 1 - Show FPS
aviDemo - Saves a demo of your playing to an AVI movie file
gfxinfo - Graphics card infomation
vid_restart - Accept video settings without restart
status - Shows game status
timedemo demo1.demo - Benchmark test
r_gamma [0-3] - Set gamma level
r_brightness [number] - Set brightness level
s_volume_db [number] - Set sound volume (default is 0)
s_showlevelmeter 1 - Toggle sound level display (use 0 to disable this code)
g_showprojectilepct 1 - Toggle hit % to HUD (use 0 to disable this code)
pm_thirdperson 1 - Third-person view
killmonsters - Kill all monsters
kill - Suicide
quit - Quit game

Playing with cheats in nightmare mode is so interesting. Try my cheats ;-)

SORRY FOR MY BAD ENGLISH...

Aw you forgot the most satisfying and fun cheats:

editpdas - allows you to change and create new PDAs (Warning, changing other PDAs will result in deleting all other PDAs, making them "default pda")
g_gunx - Changes gun placement on the x axis
g_guny - Changes gun placement on the y axis
g_gunz - Changes gun placement on the z axis

That and my most favorite of all, summoning allies without the use of a mod:

spawn monster_zsec_machinegun def_head head_security_helmet npc_name Security team 0
Edit: I forgot, Doom3 doesn't use the "summon" command

The def_head part gives the monster a security guard's helmet so that way you can tell which ones are on your side. However the only way they can be activated is when another monster makes a noise by shooting a projectile

With these cheats, not only does it make it more fun but easier when you have a pda with all the codes, monsters willing to fight for you, and a cool looking gun that you like to see being fired.