Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DeathevokatioN

Strain and Zdoom

Okay, I'm thinking of playing through Strain, I downloaded the "Fixed" version from Andy Olivera's page... but before I start playing, does anyone know if the custom monsters will work in Zdoom? Because I remember a lot of 90's wads where the dehacked patches don't work with Zdoom.

Or, can someone let me know of a level where there are any encounters with custom monsters near the beginning so I can see for myself?

Thanks in advance for any help I receive.

I presume you mean this file. This isn't "fixed" - it has simply been unpacked. There are some "fixed" versions floating around, which feature alterations to the maps.

As far as I know, the dehacked changes in STRAIN work correctly with Zdoom. Also the map07 exit works in recent Zdooms due to map-specific behaviour changes built into the exe.

Map03 should make it obvious - if there appear to be arachnotrons all over the place, many of them stuck, it means the dehacked patch hasn't been loaded right.

Thanks for the reply.

Yeah, Map 3 had arachnotrons stuck all over the place. So I guess it's a dehacked thing. I'll see if I can figure out how to load dehacked properly then. Still a noob at this. :)

It's simple enough - you just need to make sure you load both the wad and the deh. In Zdoom (and most other ports) dragging and dropping both of them onto the exe will work fine.