Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
WinstonSmith6079

Hi-Rez Stuff Makes Evilution Play Doom II Music In GZDoom :/

Yeah, that's what it does. I dunno why, it makes no sense as far as I can tell. This problem does not happen when I don't use the Hi-Rez stuff.

Yeah, I wanna play with the regular Evilution tunes when I play Evilution, even if I use the Hi-Rez stuff. As far as I can tell, all relevant files are up-to-date.

Here's my .INI & .BAT files for it, though it's probably just God screwing with me yet again, like he always does in every little thing I ever try to do.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/19002945/gzdoom_loaded.ini

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/19002945/Final%20Doom%20-%20Evilution%20%5Bhi-rez%5D.bat

You appear to be using different search paths in the [TNT.Autoload] section, I'd start by checking that they're correct.

Music in Doom 2 and the Final Doom WADs uses the same names so if you load a music WAD with Doom 2 music in Evilution it will replace the original music.

Oh. Well what should I fill into the Paths? My file-structure is as so:

This is the top level of my GZDoom-only setup (My MasterFaster Doom stuff is a completely other setup located elsewhere.) As you can see there's a specific dir for all PWAD-stuff-files hehe

This is my PWADs dir. As you can see, there are no files in there, only other dirs. The PWAD stuff is all in those.

[both pictures uploaded with ImageShack.us]

And what would be the best of all to do about (what seems to be) the music file? (Here it is to analyze in detail for oneself:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/19002945/doom-all-remix-Sycraft-v4.pk3 [~261MB].)

Unless I'm missing something, that file you linked seems to contain no music (and it's not ~261MB). It looks like that Aliens TC Special Edition that was just posted a while ago.

Your .ini file seems to be a huge mess. You don't need the same stuff repeated under both [Doom.Autoload] and each individual Doom game section ([Doom1.Autoload],[Doom2.Autoload],[Plutonia.Autoload], etc). From the screenshots, I also don't see any of the files referenced by the .ini file (zd-dhtp-20101225.pk3; DS-Models.pk3; pk_doom_sfx.wad; doom-all-remix-Sycraft-v4.pk3) present in the program directory, so I would guess that the autoload stuff is only working for the [TNT.Autoload] section.

Since I still don't know which file you are trying to load for the high resolution graphics and / or music, I can't really tell you how to fix the problem, but (assuming you want the files in the .ini to load for all the Doom engine games) I'd replace the Doom parts in your autoload sections with something like this:

[Doom.Autoload]
Path=.\PWADs\Doom Hi-Rez Textures & Models\zd-dhtp-20101225.pk3
Path=.\PWADs\Doom Hi-Rez Textures & Models\DS-Models.pk3
Path=.\PWADs\Doom Hi-Rez Textures & Models\pk_doom_sfx.wad
Path=.\PWADs\Doom Hi-Rez Textures & Models\doom-all-remix-Sycraft-v4.pk3

[Doom1.Autoload]

[Doom2.Autoload]

[TNT.Autoload]
Path=.\PWADs\Final Doom - Evilution\TNT31.WAD

[Plutonia.Autoload]

Of course, I'm not sure how your system is set up (you could have the files accessible in the DOOMWADDIR path, or maybe I misunderstand something else), so I have no clue if that would help anything at all.

But yeah, as said above, if one of those files which you are trying to autoload has music replacements for Doom2 in it, it'll replace the music in TNT as well.

Mithran Denizen said:
Unless I'm missing something, that file you linked seems to contain no music (and it's not ~261MB). It looks like that Aliens TC Special Edition that was just posted a while ago.

Aw, jeez! I was damn-near passing out asleep at my computer--AGAIN!--when I did that. I've linked to the wrong goddamn file! Lemme fix that right now!

Ah, okay! Now it's the right file! :P hehehehe

Before addressing the rest, I'm gonna try what you've suggested in the re-writing of that part of the .INI file. BBL!... hehehehe

Actually, I think this is how you want the .ini file to be set up:

[Doom.Autoload]

[Doom1.Autoload]

[Doom2.Autoload]

[TNT.Autoload]

[Plutonia.Autoload]

This should make the custom music only load with Doom, Doom 2, and Plutonia, but not with TNT. Since Plutonia uses the same tracks as those in Doom and Doom 2 (at least, to my knowledge), it should use the appropriate replacements, but with this method, TNT will only use the stock music from the IWAD.

If you want to use custom TNT music, you'd probably be best to load it in a seperate file under the [TNT.Autoload] section. The Sycraft file you linked to contains all the TNT music, but with the 'TNT_' prefix, rather than the 'D_' prefix. I assume Doomsday recognizes these, since the .pk3 is intended for Doomsday.

You can extract the TNT music into its own archive, give the tracks the 'D_' extension, and autoload that only for TNT.

You can probably also use some simple MAPINFO to redefine the TNT maps to use the files with the 'TNT_' prefix. I assume the first method would be preferrable because it'll stop you from loading unused music with the games that don't need it, but the second method will allow you to keep everything in a single file.

Your choice, I guess.

Okay so far what I've done is went to this page:
http://sycraft.org/content/audio/doom.shtml
and downloaded the three files for each of the TNT and Doom2 soundtracks, thinking I'd try each set.

Then I changed the .INI file to read:

[Doom.Autoload]

[Doom1.Autoload]

[Doom2.Autoload]

[TNT.Autoload]
Path=.\PWADs\Doom II - Hell On Earth\Sycraft-D2-high-full.pk3
Path=.\PWADs\Final Doom - Evilution\Sycraft-TNT-high-full.pk3
That eliminated the Doom II music that I was having before, but still doesn't give me any of the enhanced tunes.

I also tried changing the 'Sycraft-TNT-high-full.pk3' archive to have the tunes be prefixed with 'd_' instead of 'tnt_' but that changed nothing. :(

On the side I extracted the enhanced TNT tunes to me Desktop to give them a listen and hear what was the difference. Well I must say that they sound *beep*ing excellent! But they're not playing in my game yet. :(

WinstonSmith6079 said:

On the side I extracted the enhanced TNT tunes to me Desktop to give them a listen and hear what was the difference. Well I must say that they sound *beep*ing excellent!

Yeah, I was fiddling around with both renaming the files, and using MAPINFO to get it work in my game (they did), and MAP01's remixed track is pretty intense!

Anyway, I assume the Sycraft-TNT-high-full.pk3 didn't work because the thing has some weird Doomsday directory structure that I'm not familiar with. There are two methods I tried that should get the music running for you:

Method 1. To keep the music all in the doom-all-remix-Sycraft-v4.pk3:

- Using SLADE3, or a similar archive manager, change the filenames of all the TNT_* tracks to use the prefix "T_" instead. GZDoom won't recognize more than 8 characters of the track titles, and the "TNT_" prefix pushes most of them over to 10 characters. You also cant just tell the game to use the first 8 chars via MAPINFO, because several of them would conflict (ie. TNT_DDTBL2 and TNT_DDTBL3 are both recognized as TNT_DDTB).

-Add this MAPINFO file that I just made to the \PWADs\Doom Hi-Rez Textures & Models\ folder.

-Put this into your .ini file:

[Doom.Autoload]

[Doom1.Autoload]

[Doom2.Autoload]

[TNT.Autoload]
Path=.\PWADs\Doom Hi-Rez Textures & Models\TNT_MusicMAPINFO.pk3

[Plutonia.Autoload]

---------------------------

Method 2. This other method is probably more work for you, but may be less hacky:

- Extract all of the "TNT_" tracks from the main file (the 261 MB one), and rename it to have the plain "D_" prefix for all of the files.

- Copy those .ogg files into a new .pk3 archive, and place them either in the very root of the archive, or in a "music" directory that is itself in the root of the tree. The other files you downloaded have the music in some Doomsday-specific spot, which you don't want.

- Once this is done, delete all the TNT_* tracks from the bigger archive.

- Add the new archive's path into the autoload section for TNT, with the .ini file looking like this, making sure to replace my second line under [TNT.Autoload]:
[Doom.Autoload]

[Doom1.Autoload]

[Doom2.Autoload]

[TNT.Autoload]
Path=.\PWADs\Doom Hi-Rez Textures & Models\YOUR_NEW_ARCHIVE_HERE!!!!!!!!!

[Plutonia.Autoload]

In either case, you should be able to delete the individual .pk3 files that you downloaded from the sycraft site, keeping only the main one (Doom Hi-Rez Textures & Models\doom-all-remix-Sycraft-v4.pk3).

Hope it works!

Edit: Oops, looks like I based the MAPINFO that I posted on an older revision of the ZDoom source. I just uploaded the fixed file though, so the link should now give you the error-free version.

It worked! :D I did Method 1 hehehe

But at first it didn't play any music at all during the first map. There was an error in the MAPINFO file. I reasoned it out though and figured out how to fix it. I learn hehehehe

Do like the following (after downloading the above MAPINFO file):

Open the 'TNT_MusicMAPINFO.pk3' file with an archive-handling program (I used WinZIP). Inside it will be a file with no extension called 'MAPINFO'. Extract it and then open it with a text-editing program such as Notepad or Wordpad. It will read (from the top):

// MAPINFO for TNT. Exactly the same as Doom 2, except it
// has different map names and cluster messages.

// include "mapinfo/doomcommon.txt"

clearepisodes
episode map01
{
    name = "TNT: Evilution"
    key = "t"
}

defaultmap
{
    sucktime = 1
}

map MAP01 lookup "THUSTR_1"
{
    titlepatch = "CWILV00"
    next = "MAP02"
    secretnext = "MAP02"
    sky1 = "SKY1"
    cluster = 5
    par = 30
    music = "TNT_RUNN"
}
[...]
[Underlining added]

See the underlined line there at the end? Change it to read (without the underlining, of course):
music = "T_RUNNIN"
and then all will be well YAAAAAAYYYY! :D

WOOOO for Mithran Denizen! He make it work! YAAAAAAYYY! Mithran Denizen is te best! Mithran Denizen RULEZ! WOOOO! :D :D :D

And just for the hell of it, I made a demo of me playing just after getting it to work, finally hehehe
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/19002945/map01_into_map04.lmp
(It's for GZDoom v1.506 [the latest (at this writing)] and you must also have the custom files 'zd-dhtp-20101225.pk3', 'DS-Models.pk3', 'pk_doom_sfx.wad', 'doom-all-remix-Sycraft-v4.pk3', 'TNT_MusicMAPINFO.pk3', and 'TNT31.WAD' attached to the Final Doom: Evilution IWAD ['TNT.WAD'] to run it.)

Playing the old game in this new way is very, very cool!

I did notice that it still must be a work in progress, though. See these two snaps I took while playing:

Notice that the fire that comes from the back of the Lost Soul's skull shows through the front of its skull.

The section of the wall with the different texture is a sliding door, but there is no decorative "doorknob" like in the regular game.

I think I also have two alternate 3D modeled & textured monster-sets that I'll have to try (called "Sitter's Monsters"?)! hehehehe

WinstonSmith6079 said:

music = "TNT_RUNN"

Heh, yeah; it looks like I was careless with the find-and-replace function after I updated the file to get rid of the incorrect intermission backgrounds. :P Thanks for catching that.

I uploaded the fixed version now though, so the original link should be okay.

I'm glad it worked out for you. Happy Dooming.

[edit:] Yeah, most of the monster models in Sitters' pack look better in my opinion, (and incidentally, a lot of his Risen3D maps are pretty solid, too). In any case, there is still no set of models or high-res textures that I really like as much as the base IWAD resources. Maybe if that Doom: Ascension thing keeps progressing, I'll eventually change my mind though...

Oh? Oh! I thought that you slipped that in there for a problem for me to work out to learn a little something hehehe I think I did hehehe I wanna learn more stuff! hehehe

"Risen3D", you say? Hmm, I think there's a Risen3D folder in MasterFaster's Doom Collection that I've not even peeked into yet (whatwith the billions and billions of stuffage for GZDoom in there hehehehe). I should look in it sometime and see stuff hehehe 'Coz I dunno the first thing about Risen3D stuff yet at all hehehe

Maybe if that Doom: Ascension thing keeps prgressing, I'll eventually change my mind though...

Woah! That looks crazily-awesome! I wonder when that will be done hehehehe :)) ...even though I don't yet know a damn thing about Doomsday yet either hehehehe