Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Creaphis

SR50 with mouse-strafing

So, pretty much the only time I've used SR50 was back when I was recording my Sky May Be speedruns, and it was easy to use SR50 in that level because of how massive it is. I suck at using SR50 in smaller spaces - I just can't do it smoothly. This made me think that I might be able to learn to use SR50 more smoothly if I do it with mouse-strafing (eg. to SR50 left I would hold "strafe left," "strafe on" and slide my mouse to the left). Theoretically this would give me more control than standard SR50 keybinds because I could adjust my trajectory somewhat by moving the mouse at different speeds. It's hard as hell to get used to, though. Do any of you use this control method?

i play with mouse, sometimes i try this method , it's not really efficient in small space, work well in large areas.
but i don't use it much because it's pretty hard to master it.

I've never tried this method myself, but as you describe it, timing would be tricky.

My understanding is that most people who have used mouse-induced strafe-50 have done so by binding strafe-on and strafe-left (or strafe-right) to the same key. That way there is one less key to press, and synchronizing two presses isn't an issue. Of course, it does limit them to using strafe-50 in only one direction, but then most people develop a strong preference for one or the other in any case.

i do. this is the most common method of sr50'ing for online players that consider themselves oldschool. the newschool method involves binding strafeon+strafedirection to let's say Q and E for left and right sr50 to complement WASD, but these scripts are serious zdoomisms and there's a level of controversy about using them. back to our case:

i sacrificed my right mouse button for strafe on. i dunno what you have on RMB and i don't care, strafeon is better there. :) once you start using sr50 all the time, strafeon becomes one of the most commonly pressed keys. i can imagine using my left pinky for it, e.g. left ctrl or shift, but it's still a lot of piano playing. using your left pinky or thumb for use/jump/whatever key is much more effective, because you only use it once in a while. this setup means no change movement-wise for my left hand and my right hand controls whether i sr50 or sr40+aim.

EDIT: no, you shouldn't be using your left TOE to press jump. D:

Creaphis said:

Do any of you use this control method?

I use this method exclusively (since 1997 I think). Mouse2 = Strafe On

Okay cool, if this is a recognized control scheme then I'll see if I can get used to it. Binding strafe-on to Mouse2 is a good idea - I was using LShift but putting that function on my mousing hand should be more intuitive.

(When planning control set-ups I think of my body as a jumble of computer hardware, with predictable latencies and processing costs. Pressing a strafe-on key with the left hand while sliding the mouse with the right is an expensive multi-threaded operation.)

I've always used it. Feels natural and comfortable.

Alt for strafe-on, RMB for forward. Since I use ZXC instead of WASD my thumb goes between Alt and Space.

I usually end up SR50ing to the right.

dew said:
i do. this is the most common method of sr50'ing for online players that consider themselves oldschool. the newschool method involves binding strafeon+strafedirection to let's say Q and E for left and right sr50 to complement WASD, but these scripts are serious zdoomisms and there's a level of controversy about using them. back to our case:

I had the impression that they bound a single key to do SR50 in each direction, which would really be radically different. Vanilla can do what you describe in one direction (but not both at once). I use WESD (sic) for movement and have A bound to key_strafe and key_left. For the other direction, I have key_right bound to Shift, that can be combined with the strafe function from the right mouse button. I can thus also use mouse-propelled sr50, but rarely do so.

I use both depending on situtation. Mostly use mouse2 + WEF or mouse2 SER. But if I need to switch to a weapon while strafing ill drag mouse so an extra finger is freed up to reach for a number key. Almost entirely for online games. I dont make speedruns.

I also use this method, it is very useful at doing long distance jumps and makes life much easier in some situations (fe. MAP30 elevator catch)