Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
General Rainbow Bacon

Bloodlust : A Doom Odyssey

Alwaysdoomed said:

idk about everyone else, but i would like to see some screenshots before i dl this wad.

yes plz

I'd use a rougher flat for the ceiling of those shots.

It looks somewhat flattened, which is fine for the floor (i.e. things walking over it have flattened it), but it looks a little strange for the ceiling, especially as you've used a rough rock texture for the walls.

The Difficulty is way too hard, and ammo and health are rare and inbetween. I Had to rely heavily on infighting to even progress a little bit in this map.

The detail is actually not bad and the map itself looks good and fresh.

In the pain elemental hallway the bars are homing through the ground and the blood falling from the sky doesnt make sense unless this was a void map.

Overall i have to say the map is at a good start besides the obvious difficulty problems and the fact that the map doesnt even have an exit yet.

I enjoyed this map. The difficulty was perfect and the design was good. But I would like to see some more ceiling and floor height variation.

I changed that, I guess I wanted it to look like the fountain was so strong it went outside the cave, didn't really work, so I changed it. Maybe I'll update those early screens with the newer stuff.

Besides that I think overall it looks decent, I agree the difficulty being a little ott unless your a doom god.

The difficulty level is going to vary from area to area, I'm making this kind of a Doomvania style map with multiple areas to explore, but no one area being the best/worst area to visit first.

Could have been fun, but too speedrunny/hard for me. Lower difficulties would be nice.

Gonna add 'em, no problem. I thought you like difficult maps Phml? I've actually done a lot more to this since I put up that old version, I'll release another beta soon.

I find, say, Sunder Map10 easier than this map despite the vastly different monster count, because in that level you start with adequate weapons available to you, ample health, wide open spaces with cover and monsters reacting to you rather than ambushing you.

Here, you start with a pistol surrounded by imps, as soon as you shoot them 2 cacos come out of the floor, the only solution is to press onwards which reveals a trap and still keep running through to a shotgun guarded by a hell knight, a revenant and two shotgun guys, and of course without armor yet it hurts like hell. To pick up the SSG and green armor one has to fall down in a cramped hole with revenants and archviles, to pick up the rocket launcher dodging demons and revenants in a relatively tight room, to pick up the blue armor waking up an archvile and two barons of hell in an extremely tight cavern area, etc..

Basically, for me (as in "me personally", with my reflexes and doom skills being what they are and aren't) there's only two ways to play the map, like a speedrunner with lots of deaths, or super slowly abusing infighting and taking the occasional potshot behind cover. Neither option is all that appealing. I prefer to feel like I'm in control rather than a pinball ball helplessly bouncing off monsters.

This isn't to say there's anything wrong with the map, I'm entirely fine playing something on lower difficulties if UV kicks my ass, and you've said you plan on implementing lower difficulties, so that's good. Just giving you my perspective on it in the chance that it might help you get some ideas on what to change for these easier difficulties. IMO, the monsters themselves wouldn't necessarily need changing (although one or even both of the archviles in the SSG area could definitely go) if there were more health/armor and access to better weapons earlier.

Here's the next updated version. I addressed the difficulty of the first few areas, fixed some bugs. Noticed some new ones that I don't know how to fix, namely the fact the the normal doom 2 switches won't light up anymore for some reason. Added a bunch of areas too. Tell me what you think. Download is in first post.