Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Quasar

Bizarre SLumpEd Aero Meltdown

Open up SLumpEd in Windows 7. Open hexen.wad. Click on TRANTBL0. Hold on to your butts!

You might need a few ctrl+alt+del's to fix up your DWM if this happens... the second time it even locked me out of entering keyboard input into X-Chat. Looks like some kind of bug in SLumpEd manages to trigger an even bigger bug in Aero...

Well, it's fine in SLADE3, at least. Doesn't do that for me in SLumpEd either (the aero meltdown part), so perhaps it's a driver thing :P

Could be. I'm on an ATi Radeon 4850. It's the first time I've ever seen a problem with Aero like this anywhere, and the trigger is very reliable - SLumpEd seems to try to interpret that lump as something it's not (it says "Truevision TARGA" in the lump description, so I'd assume that's what it's thinking)... and in doing so I think it's trying to allocate a gigantic buffer to draw the picture into.

Yeah that is what's happening as far as I can tell. For me it takes a while to open the lump and when it does, it's just a huge coloured square.

Quasar said:

SLumpEd seems to try to interpret that lump as something it's not (it says "Truevision TARGA" in the lump description, so I'd assume that's what it's thinking)...

And that's why SLADE checks entry types by itself instead of relying on third party libraries to do so. SLumpEd trusts FreeImage to do so correctly, which results in plenty of false identifications which sometimes crash the application.