Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Spleen

Any third-person mods?

I'm wondering if there are any decent third-person mods or games using the Doom software renderer. I know some source ports allow it as an option, but I'm more interested in mods where the mod works better in third person, rather than just having the option tacked on.

I'm particularly more interested in the kind where you see the protagonist's back, rather than merely using a fixed camera. It seems like the potential is there, but I can't find any.

Thanks!!

Spleen said:

I'm more interested in mods where the mod works better in third person, rather than just having the option tacked on.

Pogostick is the only one I can think of.

Gez said:

Pogostick is the only one I can think of.

Hmm, that's more like a side-scroller. I was looking more for something like Zelda: Twilight Princess. Behind-the-back perspective seems very possible with sprites, but I wanted to see how people dealt with the camera when the player's back was up against the wall.

Thanks anyways though, I'll be sure to take a look!

I recall there was a pwad (no port needed) that replaced the weapon sprites with the Doom marine (back view) holding a weapon. However, I can't immediately remember its name.

Grazza said:

I recall there was a pwad (no port needed) that replaced the weapon sprites with the Doom marine (back view) holding a weapon. However, I can't immediately remember its name.

Sounds tacked on - I'd rather the maps be designed for third-person. But nonetheless, this is interesting. I'll definitely keep an eye out for this!

Probably not what you want, but someone in the ZDoom forums is making a Resident Evil-style mod, complete with the odd camera angles and inventory system.

KwadDamyj said:

Probably not what you want, but someone in the ZDoom forums is making a Resident Evil-style mod, complete with the odd camera angles and inventory system.

Yeah, that uses a fixed camera.. thanks anyways, though.

Shadow Dweller said:

I'm pretty sure there was a Sonic the Hedgehog game that used the Doom 2 engine. Hang on, I'll see if I can find it.

EDIT : Found it : http://www.srb2.org/

Thank you, that works! It almost feels like they thrust the camera to the side when it gets too close (as opposed to ZDoom's standard chasecam), very peculiar.