Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Clonehunter

What do you think of the new Wolfenstein games?

RTCW, Enemy Territory, Wolf 2009? I'd just like to know how poeple here see it compared or next to the original games ID Games, not the older green line games)

I liked RTCW for what it was; the way it dug into the plotline about Nazi mysticism was kind of cool, and the single player campaign in general was quite solid. It wasn't as revolutionary or addictive as the original 3 episode game for DOS, but it was better than I had expected.

I didn't play multiplayer / Enemy Territory though, and I've only seen the demo for Wolf '09, so I can't comment on those.

I enjoyed RTCW and Wolfenstein (2009) though the 2009 version felt simplistic for some reason. Enemy Territory was and still is a lot of fun, but I dont get much chance to play these days.

Despite them being related to the original Wolfenstein, I don't think they can be compared easily; just as I dont think the original Doom can be to Doom 3. They may be the same genre and follow the same story, but I consider them seperate and more or less standalone games.

I had a blast with RTCW, though I can't get it to run anymore on Windows 7 for some reason. I also had a lot of fun with Wolfenstein 2009, but I never finished it.

I loved RTCW. Only played a little of the 2009 game. I do believe I read somewhere that id is planning on doing another Wolf, and if they do, it must take place ENTIRELY in a castle. Adds to the evil vibe the Nazis bring.

I really enjoyed RTCW. I liked the XBox port for it's graphical improvements, but my God it's slow.

ET was also a killer game.

Wolfenstein 2009 was a hell of a lot of fun, even if it had that regenerating health nonsense. Shame it was so short.

RTCW was a pretty cool single player experience for me, and I used to play Enemy Territory to death. I haven't really played the newest wolfenstein game though, and for whatever reason I don't really feel the urge to try it.

Haven't played Wolfenstein 2009, but RTCW was good. Never finished it though, always would get inturrupted during my efforts.

RTCW was awesome, I only ever saw the gameplay footage + a cutscene of Wolf 2009, and while the action looked fun, the main character that you play as was so unlikeable and had such an annoying voice actor that he ruined the atmosphere of a potentially awesome cutscene.

I hope they don't give Doomguy a voice in DooM 4.

Wolfenstein 2009 was basically CoD easy(read easier) mode. Nazis were pretty much harmless and the only threat stemmed from the occasional super nazi. RTCW was pretty fun but the forced stealth sections could seriously fuck off. Forced stealth is never a good thing. They both also needed more dancing mutants with machine guns in their chests

I originally held off on buying Wolf 2009 for months after release due to reading about how much of a disappointment it was, but was surprised at how much fun I had the first playthrough. The veil & weapon upgrades added to the game, with the weapons being my favorite part: sure there are MP40s/44, the particle cannon was cool, but when you get the later weapons like the plasma cannon then it gets fun.

RTCW: Mediocre for its time (which back then wasn't as bad as it is today ;) - Enjoyable)
Enemy Territory: Didn't play
Wolfenstein 2009: One of the worst shooters I've played.

DeathevokatioN said:

I hope they don't give Doomguy a voice in DooM 4.

If so, they shouldn't really try to have a character driven/character interaction story. It would be another instant fail in the long proud line of crappy voiceless shooter stories. Latest game in the line: Crysis2.

RTCW is still one of my favorite games and it was also the first game besides Doom that I've tried speedrunning in.

Haven't played ET.

The new Wolfenstein turned out weird, the gameplay had the same flaws as Undying from which it ripped the magic system. The player was just too overpowered for the game to play right on any level. I couldn't even find a use for the top-tier energy weapons besides screwing around with the enemies.

RTCW, yay. Wolf 2009, nay. I can't speak for Enemy Territory either.

Technician said:

I really enjoyed RTCW. I liked the XBox port for it's graphical improvements, but my God it's slow.

They also added an entire extra prologue chapter as I recall, making the game like 15% bigger.

I certainly enjoyed RTCW and never bothered with Enemy Territory as not that much into MP stuffs.

As for Wolf 2009, have yet to pick that one up. Will do so when I see it cheap. :p

Doom Dude said:

I certainly enjoyed RTCW and never bothered with Enemy Territory as not that much into MP stuffs.

As for Wolf 2009, have yet to pick that one up. Will do so when I see it cheap. :p

Walmart's selling it for $20, based on the website. Not sure if that qualifies as cheap... I'd honestly try to find it cheaper. Like I said, I had a hell of a lot of fun with it, but I beat it in less than seven hours blind.

I, er, watched my brother play RTCW and thought it looked cool, nice dieselpunk technology. But the escape from the castle is like the very beginning of the first level and then you're just wandering about. They should have made the castle huge, and maybe had the player locked in a deep basement, and had at least 2-3 long levels of trying to escape before finally getting to the roof and escaping by Zeppelin.

RTCW started out well for me. The first few levels had a great "Where Eagles Dare" feel about them and I'd have happily played a whole game like that.

The crypts and so on... well, I know that it ties in with the original game idea (as does the Nazi super-science theme etc) but I would have happily left that alone. However, it was done well and, for the most part, was fun (and quite creepy in places). However, the unreality of it was enough for me to start not really caring as much for my character or what he was doing.

The annoying, pointless stealth sections were badly done and annoying and pointless.

However, the real killer for me was the stupid Nazi Ninja bitches and occult witches prancing around in very 21st century skimpy/gothic costumes utterly out of step with the time period of the game.

Never player ET.

Watched 2009 being played and it looked as if it started out OK and had some good ideas but seemed to disintegrate into a series of formulaic "the only way to win this fight is to follow the programmed rules" battles.

I've had RtCW pretty much since it came out and still have never installed or played it for some reason. Enemy Territory had nothing to do with the Wolfenstein universe at all, it was simply a stand-alone WWII multiplayer game using the Quake3 engine. I haven't played the latest Wolfenstein yet, but it looks like a decent FPS, if a bit standard.

I used to take my tower to a friend's place and hook up to the LAN, and we would play ET for quite literally days on end. We made an awesome covert ops/engineer team, particularly on Fuel Dump and Oasis. Watching everyone scramble around in futility was always a blast when they heard "Dynamite planted!" and the wall hadn't even been breached yet. Haha!

For a while, we had our own 30 map pure server, which, as far as I had ever seen, was the only 30 map server ever online, at least at that time. Unfortunately, we had to shut it down due to massive bandwidth usage, which was a shame, because it became very popular very quickly and was always busy 24/7 for the 5 or 6 weeks that it was active.

After a while, we got into the sniper mod and started playing that almost exclusively, due mainly to the fact that people seemed to stop caring about accomplishing the objectives and acted like they were playing Quake. The sniper mod was a refreshing change from the wall-hacking noobfag Rambo medics. Of course, after a while we got bored of that too, and stopped playing ET altogether, but they were some very fun times while they lasted.

The 2009 Wolfenstein is great FPS fun. It is, essentially, the spiritual successor to Strife. You run around a large city hub, doing missions for people, upgrading weapons and advancing the story.

It was nice to play a shooter with a player who can hold more than 2 guns! It's fun, go play it.

I'm gonna need a PS3 then... My PC can't handle all these new games. Even though sometimes it can't handle the old ones too, like Enemy Territory, yet it works fine with Quake Wars. Maybe has something to do with the mods everybody uses on Wolf ET.

Scuba Steve said:

The 2009 Wolfenstein is great FPS fun. It is, essentially, the spiritual successor to Strife. You run around a large city hub, doing missions for people, upgrading weapons and advancing the story.

It was nice to play a shooter with a player who can hold more than 2 guns! It's fun, go play it.

Agree. The city hub was one of the reasons this game was awesome, you just never know what you will find and some of the places they think of...

Clonehunter said:

I'm gonna need a PS3 then... My PC can't handle all these new games. Even though sometimes it can't handle the old ones too, like Enemy Territory, yet it works fine with Quake Wars. Maybe has something to do with the mods everybody uses on Wolf ET.

You could probably upgrade your computer to acceptable levels cheaper than getting a PS3.