Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DoomUK

Involuntary Celibacy

bimlanders said:

The last part is interesting. I have come to the belief that the average (and sub-average) person is incapable of intelligent or interesting conversation.

And I take it that you're above average.

Technician said:

Sure, yeah, sex is overrated, but then again, so is eating.

Breathing is also horribly overrated, but until such time as the government slaps a carbon tax on what I'm exhaling - I'll keep doing it.

AgentSpork said:

Well, technically speaking I wouldn't have been the asshole in that situation, seeing as I didn't know she was dating the guy at the time, and didn't bother to tell me until after the fact. It did, however, make for some pretty awkward situations later on, though.

Ahh, okay your excused.

So I guess I'm the only asshole then.

AgentSpork said:

Well, technically speaking I wouldn't have been the asshole in that situation, seeing as I didn't know she was dating the guy at the time, and didn't bother to tell me until after the fact. It did, however, make for some pretty awkward situations later on, though.

Did he threaten you?

printz said:

Did he threaten you?

Nope, never said so much as a word to me about it. You could tell he was furious, which is perfectly understandable. I felt pretty bad about it for a little while, but then... she was pretty hot, so it was hard for me to have felt too bad about it.

bimlanders said:

Why is this a bad thing?

Perhaps it wouldn't be, if you had at least provided us with some objectively admirable qualities that the bloated sense of self-worth evident in your above comment might be somewhat justified with, if not confirmed outright as a universally-held truth proving the pedestal of superiority as being rightfully yours.

As it stands, all I see is a pretty lousy trolling effort.

DoomUK said:

Perhaps it wouldn't be, if you had at least provided us with some objectively admirable qualities that the bloated sense of self-worth evident in your above comment might be somewhat justified with, if not confirmed outright as a universally-held truth proving the pedestal of superiority as being rightfully yours.

As it stands, all I see is a pretty lousy trolling effort.

Way to get lost in poor wording of the phrase. I think he really was confirming to the post above his that quiet people are hard to get into conversations, but used the word "average" instead.

printz said:

Way to get lost in poor wording of the phrase. I think he really was confirming to the post above his that quiet people are hard to get into conversations, but used the word "average" instead.

yes that's quite plausible. i personally get "quiet" and "average" mixed up all the time. they mean practically the same thing.

I find hard to start a conversation with anyone because seriously, I don't know how to make smalltalk and all that... What am I going to say? "Nice weather"? Or "hey I just reached level 12 on Oblivion".

Sometimes I feel like a complete alien because apparently no one at work/school likes computers/games/heavy metal/guitars/cars/ etc. so what the hell will I talk about?

cbronson said:

Sometimes I feel like a complete alien because apparently no one at work/school likes computers/games/heavy metal/guitars/cars/ etc. so what the hell will I talk about?

I share that sentiment. Over the past few months I've found myself spending less and less time with my friends after school, just because the group has grown to the point where it's impossible to maintain any sort of conversational narrative and everybody's degraded to the point of throwing around stupid jokes to impress one another and listening to hipster music. I don't mean to sound high-brow or anything, but how about we actually talk about something? Whether it's politics or something terrifically mundane. But god, sometimes I don't see the point in being yanked away from a project on the computer just to walk around aimlessly with people that don't want to hear anybody's gums flapping but their own.

I don't quite consider myself an introvert, or at least not in the traditional definition of one. I have no problems approaching strangers and trying to string up conversations, keeping a friendly disposition: but in the long-term, I find most people incredibly tiring and boring to be around.

StoneFrog said:

I don't mean to sound high-brow or anything, but how about we actually talk about something? Whether it's politics or something terrifically mundane.

Society, man. Talking about politics or religion or most any subject tends to become somewhat intense, if not confrontational. Western society likes to shy away from that as much as possible and focus on more positive things (when they're not insulting someone/something for being different or what-have-you). So the main topics generally popping up in such conversations rarely leave the realms of stupid jokes, work, the previous night's drinking escapades (the ~10% they actually remember), or sex. I've really only ever overheard political talk from groups of people where everyone in the group believed the same thing.

I don't quite consider myself an introvert, or at least not in the traditional definition of one. I have no problems approaching strangers and trying to string up conversations, keeping a friendly disposition: but in the long-term, I find most people incredibly tiring and boring to be around.

This worried me a lot as i got closer to leaving school, i pretty much became a hermit. Not because i didn't like people but i just get bored doing what they do (i don't drink and can't stand pubs\clubs or parties).

I think it can be unhealthy to stress against your nature, i accepted it and used the time i had to develop more hobbies like running, music, games etc. As long as you develop a healthy attitude towards your mind and your body you will find it's actually a blessing.

ManCannon said:

This worried me a lot as i got closer to leaving school, i pretty much became a hermit. Not because i didn't like people but i just get bored doing what they do (i don't drink and can't stand pubs\clubs or parties).

People do a lot more than that

Where i live it's really all they do, other than work. I'm not criticizing either, it's the same with me but the activities i do in my spare time are more self centered.

I live in a rural town 4 hours out of Melbourne (Australia), if people are not working they are usually socializing.

John Smith said:

You know I used to be pretty much the most introverted person ever. Really, really, introverted. Like didn't know what to do when people genuinely came up to you and said hi. I got over it. And I think most people can. A lot of shyness involves caring about what other people think of you, and when you let go of that, everything becomes easy. I mean, sure you come out looking like an asshole sometimes, but still, it works out.

I don't think though that shyness is the biggest factor here. Part of it is gaining self confidence in yourself (when you have it, it shows), and another part is being in an environment that promotes who you are, and I realize in a world of economic crisis and etc its sometimes hard to put yourself in the position you want to be in, but life isn't fair. So slap it like a bitch, and get shit done.

That would be rather difficult for me, since I cannot normally bring myself to let go of my cautiousness.

i get my working and socializing done at the same time since i work in a concert venue/bar (and have been working in bars/clubs/venues for the past 8 years.
so outside of work i feel perfectly fine about having way too many selfish hobbies that keep me busy.

Technician said:

I dislike children so that's a hindrance.

Rather happy to hear that, given the context!

DoomUK said:

On the other end of the scale, some people claim to "suffer" from "sexual addiction".

While I still don't question the seriousness of what we're talking about, I do think we live in a culture where everything is some kind of "condition" that needs to be treated.

Yer, absolutely. With someone invariably trying to sell a cure for it all. No fanks, someone already invented alcohol.