Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ManCannon

Doom Metroid Style?

Hey, i am new to Doom editing and have started using Doombuilder and it's very addicting (i guess because it's so simple).

I'm just wondering if someone could link me to any documentation that might help me with an idea.

I always liked how in games like Metroid the player starts with limited health & abilities and eventually gets stronger by collecting things through exploration.

Is it possible for the Player to start with low health and eventually collect artifacts that increase the max hp? I guess like the ammo bag in how it increases the max ammo you can hold.

I seen DECORATE mentioned a lot, would this be what i need?

There's no way to do what you described in Vanilla Doom, but it is possible with ZDoom (and probably some other ports as well).

You're on the right track about DECORATE. A good idea would be to browse the ZDoom wiki; this page in particular is a good place to start learning about how DECORATE functions.

Also see here for a disambiguation page regarding health in ZDoom, and here for the specific DECORATE class that is used to upgrade the player's health in Strife.

Sweet thanks, just wanted a bit of direction.

I might try Strife as well, i seen it mentioned a few times and it sounds quite unique.

Now lots of reading :D :D :(

I've always wanted to see this done. Not a Metroid WAD, per se, just one where exploring and solving puzzles is greatly encouraged and rewarded with lots of little, yet permanent, upgrades.

If you can manage to recreate Super Metroid in Doom, you will be my hero.

Heh not gonna get ahead of myself, gonna start with basics, it would be interesting though and very frigging sweet.

I've always wanted to see this done. Not a Metroid WAD, per se, just one where exploring and solving puzzles is greatly encouraged and rewarded with lots of little, yet permanent, upgrades.

Yeah same, Doom's levels and gameplay feel just right for it. One of the things people like about Doom is exploring levels, finding hidden object etc. these are all the things that made Metroid interesting.

That's why I was always confident about Metroid Prime being a good idea, prior to its release. DOOM (at least, the way I played it) always gave me Metroid vibes anyhow, so a first-person Metroid seemed like a fine idea. In that respect, a more Metroid-like DOOM also seems like a fine idea. I hope you'll come up with something.