Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
40oz

Requiem MAP24

Are you supposed to have accumulated weapons before playing this thing or am I missing some really obscure secrets? From the looks of it it looks like the mapper wants me to trudge through 2 mancubi and like 50 revenants in really cramped hallways using a super shotgun with 16 shells just to get to a chainsaw. I have to be doing something wrong. I think theres a plasma gun somewhere else too but like.. no ammo for it.

I am going to be completely unhelpful by just saying that requiem map 24 probably has one of my favorite doom atmospheres in doom atmosphere history.

There is a hidden room with a lot of ammo and weapons after the blue door. It is not marked as secret btw.

40oz said:

Are you supposed to have accumulated weapons before playing this thing or am I missing some really obscure secrets?

All levels in traditional megawads (like Requiem, Hell Revealed, etc.) are designed to be completable on UV from scratch. I'm just another fan of Anthony's mapping, and if you give up trying to find the necessary items, hopefully my 100% kills/secrets demo (in 4:16) will help you to explore the map :-)

lupinx-Kassman said:

I am going to be completely unhelpful by just saying that requiem map 24 probably has one of my favorite doom atmospheres in doom atmosphere history.

Yeah. I actually played the map today before seeing this thread. The atmosphere and gameplay of this map is beyond awesome.

daahhh it was one of those stupid hidden pushbrick switch things like in Eternal Doom III.

SAV88 said:

All levels in traditional megawads (like Requiem, Hell Revealed, etc.) are designed to be completable on UV from scratch.

I've actually hit a bit of a wall in my current run of HR for the very reason that one of the levels is proving to be impossible from a pistol start. If anyone could comment on how they go about tackling map18 I'd be most grateful!

EDIT: And also, is it possible to complete or even get off the starting block with -fast enabled on map18? The Cyberdemon fires before teleporting and thanks to the thigh-rubbing proximity it's impossible to survive.

I'm always surprised when I see long-time Community members, such as 40oz or st.alfonzo asking these questions... when there are plenty of demos showing what to do. It's as if the demos existed on another planet... HR MAP18 was completed with -fast by Ryback, as you can see:
http://doomedsda.us/wad585.html
Just scroll down to MAP18. It is however believed to be impossible on Nightmare! because of the reason st.alfonzo mentioned.

Edit. @st.alfonzo: the reason I can survive the beginning of this map with -fast setting and you could not may be I'm using PrBoom+ with vanilla compatibility. Without -complevel 2 or with yet another source port you may experience the cyber always winning.

vdgg said:

the reason I can survive the beginning of this map with -fast setting and you could not may be I'm using PrBoom+ with vanilla compatibility. Without -complevel 2 or with yet another source port you may experience the cyber always winning.

Thanks a lot, this does indeed appear to be the reason. I should also probably make a better practice of watching demos to aid my progress than I currently do, in which case thanks for the link as well!