Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jolly Roger

Help! Doom 1 Boxed - Floppy Version

Hi everyone,
I'm about to buy Doom 1 Boxed floppy ver., but I just can't recognize which version it could be...
The seller asked for € 200,00 ($284 more or less)but I really can't judge if it worth the price, just by the pictures he sent.
Can I just send the few pics I have to anyone of you, who could just help me to find out the version, by taking a look at the box and floppies?
Please help an italian videogamer! :)
Thanks in advance, have a good gaming around!
Giancarlo - Jolly Roger

mail me here: j.roger@libero.it
and I will send you the few pics, light and easy.
I don't have much time to answer the seller, so I beg you...FAST! ;)

Well, you could just upgrade or downgrade to your preferred Version once you do get it, regardless of whatever version it comes as. Well, I think you can downgrade, but maybe not. Why? You want the Swastika secret?

Nothing like that, haha...just I have to spend a lot of money, and I just wanted to know if that boxed+floppy Doom 1 version would worth the price. Can't recognize if it's a USA copy or one from other countries.
It just has everything written in english, but I don't know if different versions have different values...
I'm just asking to any of you (more expert that me, I think), to take a look to suggest me the version of the game.

Well if its English I'm guessing its the American copy, even though it could be the Englsh copy as well. $284? Hmm, I don't know. In all real sense its just a floppy disc in a cardboard box that has Doom written on it. But I guess I answered my own question. If you got the money, go ahead regardless. Otherwise, haggle a bit (Or whatever the term is).

The best you can hope for is to spot a version number on one or more of the disks, unfortunately some publishers didn't use them. Make sure it's not the two disk shareware release.

Thanks a lot BloodShedder,
don't have a webspace to put them, at the moment...
Any hint about the version, judging by the pics?
JR

It's obviously not the shareware release. Can't see a version number anywhere, could the seller be persuaded to post a directory listing from Disk 1?

Everything planned, next saturday I will meet the seller and I'll buy it, he told me it's the first USA version, fingers crossed...
Thanks a lot guys, see you!
Jolly Roger

Judging by the (red) labels and the ink of the boxart, I bet it's version 1.2 from the UK. definitely not a US release and definitely not version 1.1 either. The US copies have the version number printed on the disks and the first release (1.1) had blue labels.

omega_supreme said:

Judging by the (red) labels and the ink of the boxart, I bet it's version 1.2 from the UK. definitely not a US release and definitely not version 1.1 either. The US copies have the version number printed on the disks and the first release (1.1) had blue labels.

What would the practical difference be between the UK and US releases? I've never heard it mentioned that anything was different about them perhaps beyond the packaging.

I'm just talking about the package, I don't think there is any difference in terms of data on the disks. Here is a comparison of the different labels.

I know this isn't the time or place, but damn I miss the old packaging of PC games. DVD cases are so boring.

Hi guys,
my only doubt was if that is or not an early original version of Doom, given that I don't have many references about the different issues of the game.
But anyway I think it worth the price I'm going to pay for.
The seller told me by phone, he bought it from USA time ago.
I think it's a very good copy, and I've been dreaming of it, original boxed, for a long long time.
See you, and thanks again! ;)
JR

DoomUK said:

I know this isn't the time or place, but damn I miss the old packaging of PC games. DVD cases are so boring.

One little pointless tidbit about the orignal Doom box is that it shows what appears to be a shot from E3M2 with the episode 1 sky.

That's the top left shot with the two Lost Souls. You might not be able to see it in the image of the box back posted in this thread though.

DoomUK said:

Not to mention the cover art of games back then. Those big illustrations are sorely missed I think. A couple of photoshopped troopers really makes the games now look even more boring as they really are.

DoomUK said:

It's not so much that I find DVD cases boring, just the boxart. Look at the Boxart for 'Duke Nukem 3D' vs the new 'Forever' artwork. Modern games just have a high poly render of the main character and not a real piece of artwork. They are put through committees and chosen based on demographics and appeal to the proper age group. Very few games have a real artistic cover anymore... Action Doom 2 aside.

Jolly Roger said:

my only doubt was if that is or not an early original version of Doom, given that I don't have many references about the different issues of the game.

I think the general consensus (if such a thing is possible on these forums) is that it's an early version, probably 1.2 but you might get lucky and find it's 1.1.

Vermil said:

One little pointless tidbit about the orignal Doom box is that it shows what appears to be a shot from E3M2 with the episode 1 sky.

That's the top left shot with the two Lost Souls. You might not be able to see it in the image of the box back posted in this thread though.

Here's a clearer shot I did for another thread - there's actually three of the pests in view.

(1960x960 - 356k)

Scuba Steve said:

It's not so much that I find DVD cases boring, just the boxart. Look at the Boxart for 'Duke Nukem 3D' vs the new 'Forever' artwork. Modern games just have a high poly render of the main character and not a real piece of artwork. They are put through committees and chosen based on demographics and appeal to the proper age group. Very few games have a real artistic cover anymore... Action Doom 2 aside.

It's a shame considering Duke Forever had such a nice piece of artwork used for promotion.

Scuba Steve said:

Very few games have a real artistic cover anymore...

Very few games have artistic content *inside* the game anymore. It's all just a bunch of polygon shits...

BTW, best game box ever:
http://beast.turricanforever.de/sotb1.htm
I was lucky enough to find the version he's talking about in a VHS/movie shop in Kailua, HI back in 1992 or so. Didn't know it was a limited edition, and just wore the cool T-shirt like any typical metal band shirt... I still have it, but it's a bit faded and degraded due to age. The game box itself was a work of art, glossy and abstract, like one of those Yes album covers. I also got the Sega Genesis version about a year later, and immediately mounted the cool poster on the wall of my room. :) The Genesis version had better controls, so was easier to play than incredibly difficult Amiga original, but the graphics/sounds weren't as nice of course. Ah, I really miss those days! I was in the military, living in barracks, so that left all my pay to spend on games and fun stuff...

Probably was, though some believe registered Doom was available on CD via mail-order - I'm yet to be convinced.

Hello,
here's the one.
USA first version, the seller told me again as he sold it to me. I gotta believe him.
Very good conditions, with its 4 floppies and the manual in extra good conditions.
Inside cellophane already, the marine, demons and stuff are in good hands now.
I'm an happy gamer, at last...
See ya! ;)

Giancarlo aka Jolly Roger - Italy