Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Caleb Hystad

Pixel Art Series

Hey guys, check this out. Destructoid http://www.destructoid.com/doom-goes-adorable-with-miniaturized-sprites-197257.phtml, GameSetWatch http://www.gamesetwatch.com/2011/03/doom_monsters_turned_into_tiny.php, and a few other blogs picked up on my first series. That's all pretty cool, but then I found out that id tweeted about it last night! http://twitter.com/#!/idSoftware Blew my brain. id software's the nintendo of my youth.

Mithran - I wanted to keep the tech in there, and the barrels aren't supposed to be cute, they're apocalyptic!
Magicsofa / Marnetmar - Thanks, I really wasn't sure how these would be taken.
Archvile78 - Wait until you see the last one...
Diverse - Awesome. I wear my influences on my sleeve.

Here starts the second series.
DOOM II "Former Commando" one of a series of eleven

HEAVY WEAPON DUDE “These guys are probably the first new enemy you will encounter in DOOM II. They are more disgusting looking that sergeants, and are also more deadly due to their chain gun.” (manual)

--
As always, you can follow the updates on my tumblr as well.
8x8pixels.tumblr.com

Yeah, Mr Chris noticed you on id's twitter feed and posted about it in the general section.

Nice commando; he's also reminiscent of the heavy weapon guy in Team Fortress 2, I think.

I love these tiny cute sprites, good job!
Also nice to see your work is getting so much attention...congrats :)

Very impressive! Nice work on the Commando, by the way - but more importantly, I'm somehow mesmerized by the Roman numeral II on the revised logo.

Mithran - He totally went the team fortress way didn't he? Both big bald red guys with giant machine guns! I wanted to stylise him a bit more than the other human characters.
Vader - The id post was pretty awesome. I can't deny it.
DeathevokatioN - Ha, I got a kick out your comment next to your name.
magicsofa - Made my day, but you might replace that with the last one from this next series...
StoneFrog - Cool, I'm glad you noticed it. It's 3D!

This is one of my favorites.

DOOM II "Pain Elemental" two of a series of eleven

PAIN ELEMENTAL "Watch out for these guys, they fly around and fire Lost Souls at you. If you don't kill them quick enough, the Lost Souls will eat you for lunch." (manual)

--
8x8pixels.tumblr.com

Mithran Denizen said:

Yeah, Mr Chris noticed you on id's twitter feed and posted about it in the general section.

That id software would forget my illustrious and cute contributions is insulting and brusque.

But also good to see more monsters getting done, Caleb.

Ahaha, these are great. I love the pixellated HUDs, too.

Also, I heard you did sprite work for SCURGE: Hive. Just wanted to say that's one of my favorite Game Boy Advance games, even if I never did beat the last boss. :D (Seriously, he's a mean, MEAN motherhubbard.)

Mithran - I'm glad you like the effect. It's totally what I was going for!
Bank - Oh, I've seen those before! All the designs are hilarious, but your arachnotron is amazing.
Sir Thunder - Thanks man, the little spiders are coming up soon too.
Kwad - Awesome. I'm always happy to meet someone who played SCURGE. I designed & animated the lead character and the little blue pillow looking guys, among other things. It was a great project, and an incredibly hard game.

The old palette shift character...

DOOM II "Hell Knight" three of a series of eleven

HELL KNIGHT "Slightly easier to kill than our friend the Baron, but appear in larger numbers." (manual)

--
8x8pixels.tumblr.com

Now we're getting to some of the fun ones!

DOOM II "Mancubus" four of a series of eleven

MANCUBUS "He is fat, ugly, and likes shooting enormous fireballs into you from his arms." (manual)

--
8x8pixels.tumblr.com

I went a little looser with the design on the Revenant. He's more top heavy with those rocket launchers than in the game. Do you think he's close enough to be recognizable?

DOOM II "Revenant" five of a series of eleven

REVENANT “These huge skeletons are just cruel. They punch and kick the life out of you, and also enjoy launching flaming rockets into your torso.” (manual)

--
8x8pixels.tumblr.com

The revenant's bulky cannons fit together with the Baron of Hell's massive arms, and it's still recognizable, so I think it's alright. I really like the mancubus and the skull poles though. :)

That's some cool fanart you made there. The Revenant kinda looks like some surprised, cartoony face to me with these huge rocket launchers.

Caleb Hystad said:

Now we're getting to some of the fun ones!

DOOM II "Mancubus" four of a series of eleven

Now that one looks just adorable. Not so much like a greasy chunk of fat with a bloody face and flamethrowers, but like some sort of red-skinned, white-furred monkey, maybe a sort of capuchin.

Mithran - Thanks, it's nice to work with a bit of freedom. Mancubus looks really happy to see someone. Someone who's head will fit nicely on a stick!
Birdbrain - Oh thanks, now that's all I can see! Haha. He'd be doing a little side to side dance too.
Gez - Hilarious. The grain does make him look sort of furry.

DOOM II "Arachnotron" six of a series of eleven

I seem to recall an arena style level where the walls in the center came down, and four of these guys were hiding in there. I used to wonder how long they were in there for. Did they know you were coming, or did they just wake while you shot rockets at them? You can't really blame them for shooting back.

--
8x8pixels.tumblr.com

magicsofa said:

thought you would appreciate this:

*cyberdemon wallpaper*

awesome to hear that the outside world knows about this :P

I did that before I even saw this post *high five*

bruce - Thanks!
seeker - Always appreciate your positive feedback seeker.
Ragnor - High Five alright. Glad you found the thread, and it's awesome to see my little project on people's home desktops.

I'll have a new one up on Monday. There are only two more before we get to the "secret" characters.

New week of DOOM II postings! Friday being the eleventh of eleven in the series.

The demon who holds a the power of a BFG in his own hands...
DOOM II "Arch-Vile" seven of a series of eleven

ARCH-VILE "Not only does he summon the fire elementals to watch you go up in flames, he revives already dead demons while he's at it." (manual)

Oh hey, I also posted some upcoming series teasers over the weekend. (Apologies for the non-DOOM related images, but I just wanted to share with you guys.)

--
8x8pixels.tumblr.com

Mithran - Whoa, someone knows their Fallout! If it's not my next series, it'll be soon after.

The largest of the enemies, and a pretty big wall too!
DOOM II "Final Boss" eight of a series of eleven

FINAL BOSS He's wall sized, spawns enemies all around you, and has a rocket sized hole in his head. A hole with a secret inside...

A secret that's coming up.

--
8x8pixels.tumblr.com

Only three to go now, and they're all the easter egg enemies.

DOOM II "Wolfenstein SS" nine of a series of eleven

They only had front facing sprites for firing, so if they started shooting at each other it would still look like they were shooting at you.

I remember being pretty excited to stumble on the Wolf3D level. The enemies all felt so small, because the walls were so much larger.

--
8x8pixels.tumblr.com

I actually played all of the Commander Keen games as a kid. It was a pretty solid platformer, as I remember. How bizzarre was it to see a room full of these 'hanging' in DOOM for the first time?

DOOM II "Commander Keen" ten of a series of eleven

This was another easter egg with reference to Apogee/id’s early sidescroller. They’re not so subtly telling us that they’ve switch design directions.

Tomorrow is the last of the DOOM II series, and it's a good one!

--
8x8pixels.tumblr.com

Caleb Hystad said:

Tomorrow is the last of the DOOM II series, and it's a good one!

I can't even think of what it is...nobody tell me!

Nice Keen! I love how he looks like he was just executed. I'm not sure if you guys are perhaps joking, but it seems pretty obvious to me what the last one will be...

In any case, looking forward to it.