Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
KwadDamyj

Which texture is this again?

Hello!

I'm trying my hand at mapmaking once again (or possibly for the first time since I haven't actually finished anything :P).

I could have sworn that there's a texture like GSTVINE2 somewhere in Ultimate DooM's textures, except minus the wall behind it. Basically a vine texture with transparencies, so that it can be draped wherever need be.

I cannot find it in DooM Builder's texture list. Am I imagining this texture, is it a DooM II/Final DooM specific texture, or does it seriously not exist?

I assume you are talking about MIDVINE1 and MIDVINE2. As far as I know, they are indeed defined in the Ultimate Doom IWAD.

If they are not, I KNOW that the patches that they use are present, so you could still use them in an Ultimate Doom map by adding them to the appropriate TEXTUREx lump.

Okay, I used the search function to dredge through Doom Builder's texture list and I didn't find them.

Also, doesn't DooM Builder have separate DooM and Ultimate DooM configurations? Because I only see a DooM configuration.

Something seems off here.

EDIT: Oh, hey, I found the texture! I just wasn't looking in the correct texture category. :P

Thanks, Mithran!

I've just verified that they are indeed present in both Ultimate Doom and (registered) Doom. E2 uses them in a few places, so they're not limited to the former. If I had to guess at the problem, I'd say that maybe you're trying to load the shareware IWAD (doom1.wad), or maybe you're accidentally filtering the textures in the list. Hell if I know.

Also, are you using the old Doom Builder, or Doom Builder 2? Both versions have seperate settings for Doom / Ultimate Doom, but you might have to set them up in the config preferences, I can't recall. You will probably have to at least set up the IWAD for each seperately for them to work, though.

Nope. doom.wad, as seen in the Collector's Edition.

And yeah, I was filtering the textures. Oddly, the texture doesn't show up in any of DooM Builder's texture categories besides the "All" list.

DooM Builder 2, by the way. And in the list of pre-ready IWAD configurations, I just see "DooM", not "Ultimate DooM".

Yeah, some of the textures don't get put into any of the default categories; you can edit them yourself to be included, though, I think.

Regarding the issue with the game configurations, try (if you haven't already) going to the Tools -> Game Configurations screen (hotkey F6). From there, you should see 'Ultimate Doom' listed (it's between 'Strife' and 'ZDoom' for me). Select that, and try adding the full path of your doom.wad (with the 'Add resource...' button) to the resource list, assuming that it's not already there.

Maybe that'll let you use the config (no promises, though; I can select all of my configs without listing resources for them). The only other thing I would imagine is that the Ultimate Doom configuration file might be missing or somehow invalid. Do you have 'UltDoom.cfg' in your "Doom Builder 2\Configurations\" directory?

[Edit: Holy parentheses, Batman!]

I don't see the Ultimate Doom config in the Doom Builder SVN repository, either.

I know CodeImp was saying that he didn't like having to include so many configs with the editor, and since UltDoom.cfg is almost identical to Doom.cfg (aside from the name and the autodetection settings, I'm not sure if the default files have any difference at all) he might have removed it.

Personally, I tweaked my Doom.cfg for editing version 1.1 Registered Doom, while leaving my Ultimate Doom config for the default 1.9 stuff.

If you actually want the Ultimate Doom config though, I pasted mine here; you can probably copy it into a plain text file named "UltDoom.cfg" and get it to work without much effort.

The current Doom config looks like it assumes the mapper has Ultimate Doom instead of Registered Doom.

@Mithran: Making a new .cfg file didn't make anything new appear in the configuration select menu. :/

I'm gonna guess that GreyGhost's hypothesis is most likely.

The differences were minor so yea, no separate configs for that. You can just use the existing config one for both purposes.