Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Orchid87

SNES Doom music is kinda nice without echo effect

Hi, I am new on this forum. I always liked music in Doom games. SNES rendition of soundtrack is not bad, but it is spoiled by unnecessary echo effect. Alpha-II SPC plugin for winamp, that I use to play SNES SPC music files, has an option to disable it, and IMO the music sounds really nice. I made some mp3s if anyone is interested.

E1M1
http://www.mediafire.com/?z2zwdvte1d8pbmp
E1M8
http://www.mediafire.com/?sj26dw3w5m73d3s
E2M2
http://www.mediafire.com/?na6c7d6abgpdhpb
E2M6
http://www.mediafire.com/?40vd0ehi93zca8w
E2M8
http://www.mediafire.com/?6u37kgca628c9ko

SNES soundtrack was always my favourite. I think this is just in better quality, i never noticed any echo in the originals... I'm even listening to them now and i hear no difference except for quality. And this is louder :)(also hi and welcome!)

i always kinda liked the reverb to, though its a real tight reverb, like mousic in a small metal room! some games are excessive with it, and it sounds bad.. i picked up a super famicom a while back with a bunch of japanese games, a couple of them sounded so bad to the point where it was like an echo! cool to beable to have the option though! does this plugin allow any kinda of mod output, or playing individual channels to?

I didn't know that was really reverb until I heard these, but I kind do like the echo effect on some of the songs, like E1M8.

SNES Doom's music only has the echo effect in ZSNES which makes all sounds echo-ey for games. I've played it in snes9x, which sounds almost ,if not just, like the actual SPC700 sound chip in the hardware.

I'm not noticing any difference and i prefer SNES music over any other versions. :P

I found I only liked the title screen, map screen and level 1 music of snes doom but not the rest however. :P

Maybe they used the reverb to cover up how the timing of the songs went to shit in the PC->SNES conversion? Listen to the drum fills, it sounds like Meg White.

Archvile78 said:

I'm not noticing any difference and i prefer SNES music over any other versions. :P

Same here. I also think that the changes in tracks assigned to some levels are for the better, i was disappointed when i played the original doom on PC and found out that e2m1 doesn't have e1m9's music, e2m3 has intermission music and not e2m2's, e3m3 doesn't have e1m6's, and "waltz of the demons" was used in a level before "limbo".

Wow, it sounds way better without the reverb. I had no problem with it before, but it sounding better is nicer.

Once I found out that you could insert the SNES DOOM's SPC music files directly into ZDoom, I was a happy, happy camper. :)

It does sound significantly better without the reverb. A lot of SNES games used the feature in a bad way and actually made the music sound worse. I suppose because it was a new and exciting feature in video games at the time and people just went really overboard with it. Kinda like bloom, or a kid discovering the lens flare in Photoshop for the first time.

Still not a fan of the overall SNES soundtrack though. The drums sound good, but I guess that's at the expense of everything else due to the memory limitations. The guitar sound really only works for lead parts, for the rhythm parts it sounds more like a violin or something.

GeckoYamori said:

I suppose because it was a new and exciting feature in video games at the time and people just went really overboard with it. Kinda like bloom...

Oh God, you aren't kidding. WHY DOES TWILIGHT PRINCESS INSIST ON BLINDING ME?

The guitar sound really only works for lead parts, for the rhythm parts it sounds more like a violin or something.

That's part of why I liked it: the SNES soundtrack seemed less rock-and-roll-oriented than the PC version.

A lot of SNES music has that. I'm not sure why, but raw SNES soundtracks don't often sound good to me... usually sounds too much like it's being played through a tin can. Even the regular NES had more enjoyable sound most of the time :/

Megamur said:

Once I found out that you could insert the SNES DOOM's SPC music files directly into ZDoom, I was a happy, happy camper. :)

wat, do want. Give. D:

Archvile78 said:

wat, do want. Give. D:

Download the SPC files here first, then make a subfolder for ZDoom called "skins" and put the SPC's in there, and rename each SPC to the level you want it to be played on (e.g., the SPC file you want played on E1M1 should be renamed to "E1M1.SPC"). They will now automatically play on the specified levels until you remove them from the skins subfolder.

You can also just toss the SPC's in the main ZDoom folder and use the CHANGEMUS console command and specify which SPC to play (though you'll have to do it manually for each level, each time).

I'm sure you could place them inside PK3's as well, but I wouldn't know how to do that.

Thank you, much appreciated.

EDIT: Making them work automatically doesn't work for me but at least it work when i use the CHANGEMUS in the console.

You could stuff the files in a WAD or PK3 and rename the files to what the names of the MIDI files are: D_E1M1, D_E1M2, D_E1M3 and so forth, so they will play on the correct levels. Though I don't know if some of the tracks in SNES Doom are in a different order or if it's missing some tracks.

Doomhuntress said:

You could stuff the files in a WAD or PK3 and rename the files to what the names of the MIDI files are: D_E1M1, D_E1M2, D_E1M3 and so forth, so they will play on the correct levels. Though I don't know if some of the tracks in SNES Doom are in a different order or if it's missing some tracks.

Yup i'll do that.

Also SNES Doom only lack of the original E2m1 from PC i believe, instead it uses e1m9 song (though its e1m8 in SNES Doom seeing each episode lack of a level)

It also doesn't have E3M3's song, and it uses E1M6 (original one's) instead.
Both are changes for the better :P

Hey, due to the subject. Is there any way somebody could rip the samples from the SNES Doom SPC's? I've been needing to make an SNES Doom soundfont so I can further progress on my SNES Doom wad for ZDoom.

There is a tool somewhere (I think http://www.zophar.net) that lets you convert spc files to .it modules. Then you can use a tracker such as Modplug to rip the samples from the module. You'll need to tune them though.