Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Circus_Reject

Multiplayer alternatives

For some reason, the connection on my laptop (Sympatico Dial-up) prevents me from playing Doom online using ZDaemon or CSDoom. Oddly enough, I am able to play Quake, Doom (but it is heavily lagged with very few people playing) and other games on Kali.

My question is, does anyone know of a decent Doom MP program other than ZDaemon or CSDoom, preferably with automatic server lookup? (I'm not too computer savvy, and I want the least amount of tweaking/programming possible, LOL). I'm desperate to DM on this shitty, non-upgradable five-year-old laptop of mine, but not having too much luck...

Any help would be much appreciated.

whats wrong with CSdoom or ZDaemon when you try and play it? Also, what Operating System are you running?

Wife, Modders, played you tonight so I assume that problem is fixed?

Um...no, I haven't played yet tonight. That's very strange. A poser, perhaps? Anyway, ZDaemon and CSDoom work almost seamlessly on my PC, but on my laptop, it's another matter. My laptop has Windows 95 *shudders*. Whenever I try to launch a game using ZDaemon or CSDoom, everything is horrendously laggy (too laggy for even a 56K) and there are major problems with the graphics. I'm guessing that something is causing the server to drop game packets, but I don't know what it is. I'm just wondering if there's a decent MP port that I can use as an alternative.

Was deff someone named Strider, she mentioned it and I said "girl" :)
DirectX version?

Huh? Who's deff? And what exactly do you mean by "DirectX version"? I know what DirectX is, but whatever. And yes, I AM a complete moron...LOL.

Originally posted by Circus_Reject
And what exactly do you mean by "DirectX version"? I know what DirectX is, but whatever. And yes, I AM a complete moron...LOL.

/me starts to get infernal.....

Get the latest version here.

And I must ask, are you on AOL?

windows 95 *shudders*

• Don't let Lüt see that
  • I personally would shudder on anything above 98SE (i.e. any non DOS-based platform), but that's just me; to tell the truth, I actually miss 95.....

The Doom Connector supports a plethora of doom source ports but not many people seem to use it. MSN Zone has a section for LAN emulation, so you can play vanilla doom2.exe over it (it's my favorite way to play). However, the best of the best hang out in MSN zone so don't expect to win a lot.

Don't let Lüt see that

I personally would shudder on anything above 98SE (i.e. any non DOS-based platform), but that's just me; to tell the truth, I actually miss 95.....

LOL...I actually don't mind 95, although it does have its limitations (especially where gaming hardware is concerned). I do agree, however, that anything above 98SE sucks, namely XP.

Anyway, thanks for the help, guys. I'll download the latest version of DirectX and I'll probably give the Doom Connector a try. Oh, and please don't be too repulsed by my utter lack of PC-related know-how...heh, I'm a lot better than I used to be ;)

LOL

I...ABHOR...SHORTCUTS...LIKE...THAT...MUST...KEEP...MYSELF...FROM...PERISHING.....