Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
phobosdeimos1

Does Romero still map for Doom?

I've googled this a bit and resorted to posting,

does John Romero still make WADs for doom? (in his spare time of course)?

Or maybe i'm missing out on some infamous wads he may have made throughout the years that everybody but me knows about?

I've heard a few quotes saying that he thought about doing so at times, but I've never seen him release any new maps since Ultimate Doom. I'd doubt it.

I think he talked about making something for DTWID. Other than that a doubt hes released anything.

Indeed, he's been busy working on games for social networking sites. I doubt he has the time to work on free levels for some really old game he made over 15 years ago. Heck, I wonder if he'd have to re-learn how to build DOOM maps. It's been a really long time, after all.

Megamur said:

Indeed, he's been busy working on games for social networking sites. I doubt he has the time to work on free levels for some really old game he made over 15 years ago. Heck, I wonder if he'd have to re-learn how to build DOOM maps. It's been a really long time, after all.

In the DTWID thread he seemed to remember it like the color of the sky. And if he did have to re-learn, it sure as hell wouldn't take him long.

Don't ask me why, but I could see him suddenly becoming obsessed with Doom again and make many maps when he retires...

That might just be a crazy dream though.

C30N9 said:

Then he would stop making great games :P

Like?

Maybe he's working on a Farmville clone where you have to protect your crops against demonic hordes when they invaded earth. You start out with a crappy one-sector STARTAN3 building, and you can buy upgrades, or your friends can buy you gifts of things like fortifications, sentry guns, robots...

Has anybody made any farm-theme PWAD yet?

Clonehunter said:

Dicktana or whatever its called. Diakatina? Daktana? Dakslappa? Diakiakatanakiana?

Isn't it good that he stopped making games like that?

Processingcontrol said:

Isn't it good that he stopped making games like that?

The finish version of Daikatana wasn't really what it was intended to be, though.

I think the day will come...
he will release some maps/wads
maybe tomorrow (I doupt that ;)), maybe in some years

at least I hope that, I would also pay for such a wad

DeathevokatioN said:

Well I hope they retire soon then. :)

Yeah me too, if only he knew how instantly popular a WAD by him would be he would make it!

John Carmack is the only "founding father" of id that is still there. Tom Hall, John Romero and Adrian Carmack have all been convinced to leave.

In order, Hall left after Doom because he didn't like the design direction towards ever more violent action; Romero left after Quake because the rest of the team felt he was resting on his laurels and not doing any real work anymore; and Adrian Carmack left after Doom 3 for not wanting to sell the company to Activision.

Gez said:

John Carmack is the only "founding father" of id that is still there. Tom Hall, John Romero and Adrian Carmack have all been convinced to leave.

In order, Hall left after Doom because he didn't like the design direction towards ever more violent action; Romero left after Quake because the rest of the team felt he was resting on his laurels and not doing any real work anymore; and Adrian Carmack left after Doom 3 for not wanting to sell the company to Activision.

"Forced out" would really be more proper terminology for the last two. Getting forced out of a company you own part of (since you cannot be fired, seeing how you physically OWN the company) generally entails the other owners issuing an ultimatum and refusing to do any more work with that person. Resistance is generally futile especially if the majority of stakeholders are against you, since otherwise the business process will break down and the company will either split up or fail.

Clonehunter said:

Dicktana or whatever its called. Diakatina? Daktana? Dakslappa? Diakiakatanakiana?

Personally, I prefer "Daiskatana". Nothing to do with laid back Ska music, unfortunately. It's more of a wordplay/pun on the Greek work "skata" meaning "shit", and "Daikatana".

"Daiskatana" sounds almost like "Dai-a shitty mess" ;-)