Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NaturalTvventy

Too big for vanilla? [savegame limit]

Hey guys,

How big is too big for a vanilla WAD? is it based on sectors, linedefs, or what?

Thx,

NT

EDIT: I mean too big to be able to save on. I remember that being an issue back in the day.

I know the Vanilla savegame limit is around 180 KB. I'm not sure what the biggest culprit would be, but I imagine that sectors, lines, segs, things, etc. are all involved to some extent. Someone with a better grasp on the engine would have to tell you properly, though.

I also seem to remember that things which are spawned into the map during gameplay will still increase the size, as the monsters spawned in by the boss brain in MAP30 can eventually become numerous enough that it hits the limit.

Mithran Denizen said:

I know the Vanilla savegame limit is around 180 KB. I'm not sure what the biggest culprit would be, but I imagine that sectors, lines, segs, things, etc. are all involved to some extent. Someone with a better grasp on the engine would have to tell you properly, though.

I also seem to remember that things which are spawned into the map during gameplay will still increase the size, as the monsters spawned in by the boss brain in MAP30 can eventually become numerous enough that it hits the limit.

Things are usually what trigger the limit being hit because at runtime they require the most data to be saved, whereas linedefs, sectors, and other thinker types require mere bytes worth of data a piece. It would be theoretically possible to hit the save limit on a map with no things in it other than player starts, but I almost wonder if you wouldn't run into some other limit first (blockmap, segs limit, VPOs, etc).