Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Papissama

Favorite Videogames

I like the idea of this. Especially because you can sort by demographic. No surprise SMB3 is #1 with the females. My female cousins and their female kids to this day all still play a SMB game each weekend. Its been that way for like 20 years now.

Clonehunter said:

Dark Forces is nice in the fact it had actually animated cutscenes rather than scrolling pictures or text boxes.

i just want to point out that i was referring to the music for the Dark Force final boss battle in Phantasy Star 3...NOT Dark Forces the game.

"nostalgia makes phantasy star 3 one of my favorite rpg's of all time...plus, the music for dark force is the best. ever. and, of course, wren..."

so it is unclear that i am talking about phantasy star 3 in the above statements -- the ONLY statements in my post -- which make no hints at any other games whatsoever?

Xeros612 said:

So many shitty games showing up on the top 50. Also, while some of the newer ones up there are pretty good, shouldn't a game have to be more than 5 years old to even be considered a possibility for a "best of all time" list?

Some of the games released within the last 5 years should *******ely be on that list. one easy example is imo Fallout 3/NV...

The Lag said:

"nostalgia makes phantasy star 3 one of my favorite rpg's of all time...plus, the music for dark force is the best. ever. and, of course, wren..."

so it is unclear that i am talking about phantasy star 3 in the above statements -- the ONLY statements in my post -- which make no hints at any other games whatsoever?

It sounded like you said "Phantasy Star 3 is a greatest RPG. Dark Forces has the best music. That's how I percieved it.

D00M RE4PER said:

Some of the games released within the last 5 years should *******ely be on that list. one easy example is imo Fallout 3/NV...

Best game of all time? Of ALL time? Fallout 3/New Vegas? As opposed to fallout 1 and 2? HAHA

The best part of Fallout 3 was playing through the Cube Experimental mod, which was a really awesome combination of Fallout 3, the Cube films, and Portal.
New Vegas is more in the spirit of Fallout 1 and 2, but not enough. Plus, the engine is freaking retarded.

I'd like to play a sequal to Arcanum.

Why isn't Deus Ex on the first page? Seriously. In a perfect world I'd force everybody to have actually played every game listed on a poll before they can vote for them, but then again I'm not one to judge.

Scuba Steve said:

Sorry, anyone or any poll that places Half Life 2 above Half Life 1 is instantly disqualified. This isn't my subjective opinion, this is an assertive fact. Half Life 1 was a genre revolution, it changed the face of gaming. Half Life 2 was not. It cannot be better under any measure of objectivity.

Well said. Plus the tedium of all the stupid urban present-day shooters has made me think no better of HL2's once-interesting setting. The sprawling corridors and gritty factories of the original are up there with Quake's Lovecraftian setting IMO: greatly underestimated, and sincerely missed. The whimsical and innovative HL1 mod community thrives to this day, whereas most Source mods are frankly just moronic deathmatch rehashes.

StoneFrog said:

The whimsical and innovative HL1 mod community thrives to this day, whereas most Source mods are frankly just moronic deathmatch rehashes.

Not true! Sometimes, the source mods are really linear mini-campaigns, and sometimes they're moronic deathmatch rehashes made to be like military shooters!

Those extra halflife MP mods were all fucking retarded. When I installed HalfLife I got CLassic Death Match, a stupid Quake remake which was just so bland. Something called RIchochet, which while interesting, just at the same time was really boring. Team Fortress 1.5 though is actually kinda cool.

Clonehunter said:

Those extra halflife MP mods were all fucking retarded. When I installed HalfLife I got CLassic Death Match, a stupid Quake remake which was just so bland. Something called RIchochet, which while interesting, just at the same time was really boring. Team Fortress 1.5 though is actually kinda cool.

The worst part was the fact that I got Half-Life soon after it came out. Whenever I updated it, I HAD to download all the new maps and mods they added to it. This was back when I had a 56k modem. So yeah, it was a day-long process to update that bastard. At least TFC was worth it. This is another reason I'm thankful for Steam. I have Half-Life downloaded, but all the other mods are still just on my list.

D00M RE4PER said:

lol I love your sarcasm.

@all: you have to realize the fact that our unikGamer community is at its beginning at the moment. There are only over 1,3oo users right now. It's up to us to spread the word and get more people involved, so that we have a more representative result. So please do so and tell all your friends.

Oh look the top 20 is nothing but games that have a legion of retarded fanboys with too much time on their hands attached to it. In conclusion lol interent polls, etc.

I'm not going to vote in this, as I see no point in doing so. This feels basically like some sort of popularity contest; it could just as easily be about something else, like favourite artists or favourite movies. Everything that is popular or has a huge and often obnoxiously loud fanbase is going to be ranked #1. One's favourites is so subjective that a list is never going to please everyone, or be 100% accurate, as there's so many different opinions nothing can be deemed correct, alongside mentioned popular games and obnoxious fanbases.

Doomhuntress said:

I'm not going to vote in this, as I see no point in doing so. This feels basically like some sort of popularity contest; it could just as easily be about something else, like favourite artists or favourite movies. Everything that is popular or has a huge and often obnoxiously loud fanbase is going to be ranked #1. One's favourites is so subjective that a list is never going to please everyone, or be 100% accurate, as there's so many different opinions nothing can be deemed correct, alongside mentioned popular games and obnoxious fanbases.

For now gamers do it mainly for fun and also to also keep track of which games they played and enjoyed the most by genre, by systems, by generations (of consoles), by decades, most wanted and more.

Another fun thing to do, is to go check out the results of each list and use demographic filters by gender, age and location to see how different those top lists are.

And finally, once you've made your own lists you can also see the 30 gamers with the closest gaming taste to yours and see what other games they played.

Everything is indeed subjective, but still fun nonetheless ;-)

i really want ocarina of time to be the best videogame ever made but no matter how hard i try i can't seem to think of it in that way...
i just keep thinking of how let down i was and how overhyped it was and how it's not nearly as good as people pretend it is.

Obviously Doom isn't as popular as FF7 or some other new games. Big whoop.

Doomhuntress said:

That's kinda stating the obvious at this point.

ocarina of time isn't the best videogame ever.
i played tons of RPG's before FF7 (console and pc) and when i first played it it was like the second coming (cumming?)
i still like it.
super metroid and deus ex belong always in every top 10.
fallout 3 is actually pretty horrible. it's like a broken toy that doesn't work as intended.
doom belongs in the top 10 because of what we have today. all the mods. all the awesome maps. all the source ports.
if gamers knew all of this about doom and played all these things, then doom would definitely be in the top 10.
i'm an ass man.

truth.

The Lag said:

ocarina of time isn't the best videogame ever.
i played tons of RPG's before FF7 (console and pc) and when i first played it it was like the second coming (cumming?)
i still like it.
super metroid and deus ex belong always in every top 10.
fallout 3 is actually pretty horrible. it's like a broken toy that doesn't work as intended.
doom belongs in the top 10 because of what we have today. all the mods. all the awesome maps. all the source ports.
if gamers knew all of this about doom and played all these things, then doom would definitely be in the top 10.
i'm an ass man.

truth.

It's just your opinion man. The rankings reflects the opinion of many, not just a single gamer.

Such statistics have no value, really. It's like those "Who's the most popular/cute actor" polls published in weekly teenage girly magazines.

A more serious ranking would be redacted by experts and take into consideration factors such as total number of sales, number of sales vs market potential AT THE TIME OF RELEASE, formats a game was converted into (e.g. an 80s title that was successful on 20 different platforms will yield different sales numbers than something bought 30 years later over Steam, yet both might be highly successful and popular, taking proportions and eras into account). Or, some games may not have "sales" in the traditional sense (e.g. Angry Birds is free, is copied, but not "sold", while arcade games were "distributed" and leased, and only few machines were ever actually bought, yet the games they carried eventually became popular and/or legendary.

It's a really complex task, just like trying to compare e.g. prices at different times in history for different countries and locales, different inflation rates etc.

So unless you manage to involve 1 bn people in this poll (which you won't), you'll never get a realistic ranking, but yet another "girly magazine" recent-hype type of poll, sorry.