Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
nivha

A first small map, after many years

Hello,

Well, I'm new to this forum :)

I haven't touch Doom in like 15 years. I was surprised (and happy) to find out the Doom community still exist. Back then, I was in high school, and enjoyed making maps for doom.

Well, for old times, I downloaded Doom builder and made a short-easy level. http://myfreefilehosting.com/f/8b05d41b98_0.07MB

This map doesn't use any ports.
It wasn't tested for coop / deathmatch.

Although I'm not planning on making any more maps soon, I would be glad to hear some feedback.

Thanks

Yeah this is very nicely designed! Except for there being too much ammo in the room with the yellow keycard. It'd be great if it was a little bigger, though. This is a pretty good level.

I haven't found the secret yet, gonna keep looking...

I had fun on this level. A genuine classic vanilla wad.

Overall I didn't like this map. Reminded me strongly of the early days, when the first maps in 1994 or whatever came out on CDs. The textures look like they were chosen at random and the architecture was just all over the place with very abstract and boring areas and all of a sudden a couch is standing in a room with a tree? The gameplay wasn't horrible, but the monster placement seemed just as random as everything else in this map.

Maybe you might wanna try some Oblige maps for new inspiration next time? ;)

Nice short map! I played it with Chocolate Doom 1.5 + Freedoom. I got killed in the very beginning on my first attempt, but managed to finish the second time. I didn't notice any texture alignment problems or other bugs. The architeture looks as if you tried to model a real place? The lounge room with the couch and plant was cute.

Unless you have other plans for it, consider submitting this WAD to the Freedoom project. They still need about a dozen maps to have a complete FreeDM vanilla Doom IWAD.

hex11 said:

They still need about a dozen maps to have a complete FreeDM vanilla Doom IWAD.

Except that this isn't a deathmatch map, first of all.

nivha said:

It wasn't tested for coop / deathmatch.

[edit: It is a nice little map though. Good job.]

The map is too easy/short (long easy maps are ok), but with some planning and ammo balance you can create nice maps I think. And random/abstract 1994 texturing for the win. :)

Mithran Denizen said:

Except that this isn't a deathmatch map, first of all.

This kind of comment isn't helpful at all... All you've done is reference the original post on this thread instead of explaining anything based on your play experience. Now how about you actually try it in DM and then point out what could be fixed or improved...

Are any of the things getting in the way of the action? Are there enough open areas? Should there be more paths between them? Anything else?...

hex11 said:

This kind of comment isn't helpful at all...

It wasn't wrong, though. I didn't comment on the deathmatch playability at all, I just mentioned the fact that it wasn't specifically designed for deathmatch ("isn't a deathmatch map"), nor tested for it.

I actually find DM to be extremely dull, personally, so I don't know the popular tastes of those who enjoy it, but from a quick run through it with bots, I got the feeling that it's exactly what the OP describes: a (fun) single-player map with some deathmatch starts tossed in.

More specifically,
-It's full of monsters. There are even extra monsters flagged multiplayer-only.
-The weapons are placed in clumsy areas.
-There's not enough spare ammo anywhere.
-There are too many doors, and they're all slow.
-It's a single-player map.

Aside from all that, the basic layout seemed like it might be fun with some tweaking, with the entrance room and courtyard areas being good, open spots for shootouts.

Thanks for everyone who reply (those who loved, and those who didn't).

Mapping with the builder is much quicker and easier then I remembered. This map took me two days to complete (including learning the software, testing, and doing other things), while with DCK back then, this kind of map would take me around a week to make.

About the comments:
I'm glad some players liked it.

This level plan is 'very short, very easy". map01 concept style.

Indeed there is too much ammo in the yellow key room.. I forget to delete some of it.. :(

The additional multiplayer monsters are for coop (wasn't tested). I dont think as it is, this map is good for deathmatch. Maybe only the first room alone may work (creating a close one on one combat).

I leave this map open for modifications of anyone who wants to.