Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
phobosdeimos1

TNT Evilution music use?

In practice, yeah.

In theory, however, you should only use them for mods that use TNT.wad as their IWAD.

No, non of the resources on TNT.wad are free to use.

It's a moral dilemma that you really need to make for yourself seeing as I've seen many, many wads that borrow music from official wads or, hell, midi renditions of rock songs. But, the best option is to make your maps require the use of TNT.wad.

Gez said:

In practice, yeah.

In theory, however, you should only use them for mods that use TNT.wad as their IWAD.

so technically if you wanted to use some tnt music for a doom2 wad via replacement and credited it it's the same as using something from Ultimate Doom for example?

Is it frowned upon or is it Ok as it's just increasing the variety of doom music i can choose from?

Technician said:

No, non of the resources on TNT.wad are free to use.

It's a moral dilemma that you really need to make for yourself seeing as I've seen many, many wads that borrow music from official wads or, hell, midi renditions of rock songs. But, the best option is to make your maps require the use of TNT.wad.

ah damn, it just sucks cause my macs broke and i used to write my own but i have to rely on internet midi now

phobosdeimos1 said:

so technically if you wanted to use some tnt music for a doom2 wad via replacement and credited it it's the same as using something from Ultimate Doom for example?

Is it frowned upon or is it Ok as it's just increasing the variety of doom music i can choose from?

Given the number of Doom II wads out there which feature music and textures all over the place from Ultimate Doom, I think you're probably fine. I hate to use the "everybody does it" logic to get past the legal issues, but I guess it's really up to you which route you want to go.

phobosdeimos1 said:

Exactly the same. They are separate games sold separately, so you aren't supposed to use resource from the one for a mod made for the other.

Though that point should let you use both TNT and Plutonia resources for a TNT or Plutonia mod, since both these IWADs were always bundled together.

phobosdeimos1 said:

There are exceedingly few people who will frown upon this; most people will be perfectly okay with it.

Huh? So using TNT music with other wads is illegal?

There are lots of wads out there using it, even Community Chest 3 MAP07.

C30N9 said:

Huh? So using TNT music with other wads is illegal?

Technically, yes. You're using resources from one commercial product in a mod for a different one.

Whether anyone really cares about that is another story. You're certainly not going to get into any legal trouble for doing it, so it's mostly a moral argument if nothing else.

Go ahead and use anything you want from Final Doom.

If people actually cared, half the major Doom projects would be removed from the archives.

Processingcontrol said:

Go ahead and use anything you want from Final Doom.

If people actually cared, half the major Doom projects would be removed from the archives.

thanks man, it's all in the name of making good WADs anyway