Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Du Mhan Yhu

See-through Walls?

I was working on a map and I was wondering...

.. To make my question simple, Plutonia Map04: Caged.. theres a area when you cross a linedef 3 Chaingunners raise out of the ground, but they don't see you until you cross another linedef just around the corner..

Now they just remain unaware that i'm there even though they are looking at me. I'm assuming it has "Block Sound" for the line setting, because they don't hear me shooting other monsters.

How do I create this effect?

Nope, each of the three uses a surrounding sector raised a few units beneath the ceiling, without side textures, to create an invisible barrier. This works as long as the player's view is never raised above the floor of the barrier, which will then ruin the effect.

The second line then lowers these barriers to the floor instantly. Note that you can't shoot the chaingunners until the barriers lower, at which point they also see you.

Also, the lines on the barrier sectors are all set to block sound. Remember that both the inner and outer lines require the flag for this to work, as sound can cross a single 'block sound' line, but will stop when encountering the second layer.

Mithran: I remember reading a thread called something like "the truth about sound blocking sidefs", and remember not coming out of it with a clear explanation, am i right in saying, for example, that if:

the only way into a room is through a door, but it also has a window, that if both the two door sidefs and the two window sidefs are set to block sound, this will block the sound,

is that right?

While on the DB2 subject...

The SUPPORT3 texture from Doom 2... Does any one know where I can find one that goes horizontal instead of vertical?

I guess its more of a texture question...

...i'll use it in DB2 though.. :p

phobosdeimos1 said:

is that right?

If I understand your description, then yes, that would block sound from travelling in/out of that room. Flagging only one window line would allow sound to move between the room and the area outside it, but the second flagged line kills it.

If the door is closed, it will also block the sound (until it is opened), so in most cases you won't need to set the flag on the door lines themselves.

skaman86 said:

The SUPPORT3 texture from Doom 2... Does any one know where I can find one that goes horizontal instead of vertical?

I think the CC4 textture WAD has some rotated versions of SUPPORT3, though I'd guess that they are compiled from one or more of the other general purpose texture packs available. You might want to check out the Afterglow textures page, or something.

Mithran Denizen said:

I think the CC4 textture WAD has some rotated versions of SUPPORT3, though I'd guess that they are compiled from one or more of the other general purpose texture packs available. You might want to check out the Afterglow textures page, or something.

I found it..

Thanks again for your help!

skaman86 said:

I guess its more of a texture question...

...i'll use it in DB2 though.. :p

WOOD5 or SKINMET with a Y offset of -12 :)

skaman86 said:

The SUPPORT3 texture from Doom 2... Does any one know where I can find one that goes horizontal instead of vertical

Use WOOD5, it has a section going along the top and bottom of the texture and really handy when you use the proper alignment. It works great for horizontal beams on the ceiling tho.

lol Thanks for all your help guys, I found one. I decided to go with GHMETAL4.

It's perfect. Although, the WOOD5 was my second choice.

Thanks again all :)