Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kinsie

Rage and Tear!

Id has released info on the multiplayer modes in their newest not-Doom-4, Rage. Interestingly enough, Deathmatch is not one of them. Players can race around courses in Combat Rally, or venture through co-op variations of the campaign levels in Legends of the Wasteland.

In addition, Bethesda have announced a special "Anarchy Edition" pack to be made freely available to those who have pre-ordered the game. It includes new armor, new sewer levels, a new vehicle and two new weapons, one of which is a rather familiar sounding set of spiked knuckle dusters.

And finally, here's a new trailer showing off the tools of the trade. (SPOILER ALERT! Things die in it.)

It's a sign of the times when one of the preorder bonuses is exclusive sewer levels. I wonder what Old Man Murray would have to say about this.

Trasher][ said:
And finally, here's a new trailer showing off the tools of the trade. (SPOILER ALERT! Things die in it.)

The weapon textures look quite low-res. Like something from the Quake III era. Lots of polys, sure, but...

By the way, for people who, like me, have a rather slow connection and prefer to let the vid player buffer the entire video, rather than just the next ten seconds like on the sites linked to in the first post, here are youtube links for the trailers:

Is it just me, or does the weapons in that video feel very... unsatisfying? id's FPS's have always had a satisfying amount of weapons, so I can't help but feel dissapointed by this.

Doomhuntress said:

Is it just me, or does the weapons in that video feel very... unsatisfying? id's FPS's have always had a satisfying amount of weapons, so I can't help but feel dissapointed by this.

I felt that too. But what really caught my attention was that the enemies seem to be very weak... One shot one kill. Maybe that's supposed to be realistic? Meh...

Doomhuntress said:

Doom 3's chaingun\wet sock launcher would like to have a word with you.

Bethesda is just the publisher; it's not like they're developing the game, so I don't see why you'd come to the conclusion that their involvement will ruin Rage.

If anything, I'd say the last two decades worth of hit-and-miss games from Id themselves has given me more reason to doubt the quality than their new parent company / publisher possibly could.

BUT ITS BETHESDA!!!!!!!!!!!

They smell everything up and put elves in it! ELVES! I HATE FUCKING ELVES!

If i see one pointy fucking ear in Doom4\Rage im gonna snap.

ManCannon said:

BUT ITS BETHESDA!!!!!!!!!!!

They smell everything up and put elves in it! ELVES! I HATE FUCKING ELVES!

If i see one pointy fucking ear in Doom4\Rage im gonna snap.

Oh, go quote an image post. Fallout 3 and New Vegas alone disprove your "point".

Truly I have not witnessed such a show of intelligence in quite a while now. heh.

Rage's kinda in the center for me. Some things look kind of interesting, but some things don't strike me as being immediately interesting. Those bigger mutants look like they can be interesting, provided they have enough variants of them to prevent it from being boring, but the little guys just look like more generic little tribal mutant guys (they also remind me of the Quake IV strogg marines a little too much). Also, is grey becoming the new brown?

Wait. So, that video is a gameplay trailer? As in, I'm supposed to watch that video and then want to play the game? Hilarious. The "gameplay" starts with some filler dirt buggy travel, meant to satisfy our juvenile joyriding fantasies. When the player arrives at his destination, he starts moseying along in wide-open spaces, flaunting his position. Surprise surprise, he's attacked! Then, he continues moseying along, taking hits carelessly from a big enemy that's ultimately harmless because it's even weaker and less mobile than the player. The player continues moseying along, killing mooks with a ridiculous magic frisbee on his way. When he finds he's moseyed into some sort of alien hive, he does the only logical thing: he gives away his position again. He carelessly takes a few more hits, but it doesn't matter, because he's basically invincible (thanks to a "defibrillator?") and because no other mooks show up. Strangely, no other mutants mind that the player could be stealing their babies. And so on.

The setting is better suited to a stealth-em-up. I don't understand why every game has to be a shitty FPS.

exl said:

Doom 3's chaingun\wet sock launcher would like to have a word with you.

Wha-? Doom 3's chaingun is fucking awesome.

Every time they publish a new trailer I'm trying to be excited, because it's id, but in the end it's just "meh"...

For me Rage boils down to a Fallout3 ripoff with some Star Wars Anarkin race elements... yay? :/

BlueEagle said:

For me Rage boils down to a Fallout3 ripoff...[/B]
For me Rage boils down to a Borderlands ripoff...
For me Rage boils down to a MadMax ripoff...
For me Rage boils down to a Escape From New York ripoff...
For me Rage boils down to a Wall-E ripoff...
[B]For me Rage boils down to a A Boy and his Dog ripoff...

Take your pick... they're all the same genre. Rage is the same genre, but it looks nothing like Fallout 3. Honestly, there aren't enough good games in the "bombed out world" style.

Scuba Steve said:

Take your pick... they're all the same genre. Rage is the same genre, but it looks nothing like Fallout 3. Honestly, there aren't enough good games in the "bombed out world" style.

I agree. I enjoyed games like Borderlands, Fallout 3, S.T.A.L.K.E.R., etc. so for me it's gonna be cool to see ID's take on that genre.

ID software have always been good at striking a balance between having some realism, but not TOO MUCH realism in their games. Honestly, a totally realistic game wouldn't be fun. It would take an entire army of trained soldiers to defeat all those creatures which have infested the RAGE world; there's no way one person could even make a dent. Plus, health and healing characters in FPS games has never and probably WILL NEVER be realistic simply because you wouldn't be able to take a hit. Bullets rip through arteries and tear organs apart and break bones, and no stimpack can re-grow an arm. And when has any FPS character (other than Duke Nukem) stopped to urinate or defecate? I like my games to be fun, even if I have to leave my brain at the door. It is, after all, a game.

All this ID-bashing seems trendy to me. I'm not going to judge the game until I actually play it. I don't personally think that it's fair to pass judgment after viewing a trailer.

Scuba Steve said:

Personally I feel it's more closely related to Strife from what I've seen. But I dunno. Will be interesting to see when it's on my harddrive.

BlueEagle said:

Every time they publish a new trailer I'm trying to be excited, because it's id, but in the end it's just "meh"...

For me Rage boils down to a Fallout3 ripoff with some Star Wars Anarkin race elements... yay? :/

I never stop being amazed at the incredible stupidity of this complaint about Rage. I barely played Fallout3 because I hated it, and I never tried Borderlands. But it doesn't matter if I had. Pick ANY game released in the last 20 years and you can make the same complaint. Actually in a way you can do it with any media since the invention of the written word. (you could go back even further really)

Here's a few examples of popular games (I just made this stupid list from the top of my head so bare with me)
Starcraft boils down to a Warhammer40k mixed with Giger's Aliens ripoff.
Warcraft boils down to a ripoff of Warhammer.
Half Life boils down to a Doom ripoff with some X-files mixed in.
Doom boils down to an ripoff of Evil Dead mixed with Aliens and D&D.
Half Life 2 boils down to a War of the Worlds ripoff where the aliens don't die spontaneously.
Far cry is a ripoff of Tv shows of the 80- and early 90ies, mixed with the island of Dr. Moreau.
Crysis is a ripoff of Predator.

Do you remember the old days of gaming, where every FPS game was rendered in that classic, washed-out FPS brown? Well thank God those dark times are behind us. I would like to usher you all into a new age of gaming, where everything is rendered in the new, revolutionary, spectacular FPS gray.

Also, apparently there is no hair in the future.

In spite of these things, I am curious to give this game a shot. The combat mechanic looks pretty well done, the only weapon I really didn't like was the rocket launcher. The rest seemed at least interesting.

And Doomhuntress, I know, I know. After playing with the perfect weapon set that was Doom/Doom2, no other weapon will ever satisfy you, period. But I still think the Rage weapons looked pretty good for the most part... C'mon, work with me here. ;)

KiiiYiiiKiiiA said:Also, apparently there is no hair in the future.

I think I see hair on the enemy at 1:44 :P

As for the game, it looks decent at least. I know I'll play it through just for the graphics and setting. Gameplay doesn't look too exciting though. I mean, that big mutant basically can't kill you as you get your health back before he makes another strike at you (which it looks like you can't dodge)?

I don't like the weapons too much either, though the shotgun looks pretty fun, which is the main thing for me.

Scuba Steve said:

I hope so.

Same. :)

I'm looking forward to trying this game out. I have a soft spot for exploring open worlds, especially with that post apocalyptic theme, I personally don't feel that this theme has been nailed on the head yet. I just hope you don't run out of things to do, or that you don't level up to such a high level where you can take on those bigger monsters shot-for-shot.

KiiiYiiiKiiiA said:

After playing with the perfect weapon set that was Doom/Doom2, no other weapon will ever satisfy you, period. But I still think the Rage weapons looked pretty good for the most part... C'mon, work with me here. ;)

They feel good yes, but I wouldn't claim them as perfectly balanced for singleplayer (I don't claim multiplayer because I don't play Doom MP).

That said, Rage is looking great except that the sun light in the city seems too strong. I might also make the shotgun muzzle flair more visible/last longer

kristus said:

Half Life 2 boils down to a War of the Worlds ripoff where the aliens don't die spontaneously.

It also had elements of 1984 and The Children of Men, the novel the movie of the same name was based on.

Creaphis said:

Wait. So, that video is a gameplay trailer? As in, I'm supposed to watch that video and then want to play the game? Hilarious. The "gameplay" starts with some filler dirt buggy travel, meant to satisfy our juvenile joyriding fantasies. When the player arrives at his destination, he starts moseying along in wide-open spaces, flaunting his position. Surprise surprise, he's attacked! Then, he continues moseying along, taking hits carelessly from a big enemy that's ultimately harmless because it's even weaker and less mobile than the player. The player continues moseying along, killing mooks with a ridiculous magic frisbee on his way. When he finds he's moseyed into some sort of alien hive, he does the only logical thing: he gives away his position again. He carelessly takes a few more hits, but it doesn't matter, because he's basically invincible (thanks to a "defibrillator?") and because no other mooks show up. Strangely, no other mutants mind that the player could be stealing their babies. And so on.

The setting is better suited to a stealth-em-up. I don't understand why every game has to be a shitty FPS.

WAAAAAANK.

I enjoyed the trailer. The player seems to have nice mobility, much better than Doom 3, and the weapons are interesting. Plus, it has a sniper rifle, which means I'll at least try it out.

Also, your opinion is not fact, get over it.

I don't get the complaints about the game looking too easy. Isn't this the first level in the game? How are those small midget monsters any different from the basic zombieman from the original Doom games?

Solarn said:

WAAAAAANK.

It's pretty hypocritical too. After I wrote that post, I almost wrote one in the Double Impact release thread criticizing someone for saying they didn't like it before they played it, but I stopped myself because I realized I was being a tool.

Still, all the promotional materials for this game rub me the wrong way. Feel free to play it and tell me how good it is.