Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Katamori

Top Secrets of UAC - project thread (mappers wanted)

Previously I wanted to make a WAD with this title, but it was an average work of a beginner mapper rather than a custom WAD. But present day I think, it's a good idea to make a complex and good WAD from this.

The story so far
In the 22th century, Union Aerospace Corporation became a gigantic multinational corporation, similar to the Doom 3 story. But in this story, the UAC's significance is more important on Earth than in the outer space. The reason is the next: UAC had a lot of differencies with the governments of Earth (especially with the USA) which caused a global war on Earth. It's not a total war, they don't want to destroy the enemy - the final aim is the domination of the planet!

Meanwhile, UAC deploys strange life forms in the war: monsters with claws which fires flaming balls, cyborg superhumans, gigantic robots, et cetera. Nobody knows how UAC got these military units. This is very mysterious.

In this world, the player itself is a private marine. His army was defeated in the U.S.A., around Arizona and he's the only survivor. UAC abducted him to interrogate. And he awakes in a dark prison cell...

Plans
I imagine about a ZDoom WAD to this story, where the story is very important, it decides the incoming events, the places, the enemies, etc. I know it means a lot of ACS work, and using of special tools (e.g. cinematic scenes like in It Only Gets Worse - sorry I don't know any better example) but IMO it's possible with your help. :) Also, there's a lot of good source at realm667.com, so maybe it won't be problem for me.

These ideas are very unambiguous, I like planning a lot :)
Please post reply to help my work!

People, who help me

Doomworld Forums

GreyGhost - compile the resource WAD
PRIMEVAL - music
Processingcontrol - mapping

Realm 667

the whole site - basic texture resources, monsters, SFX, items
Ceeb - very useful flat textures for the skyboxes

ZDoom Forums
Kappes Buur (the same name on Doomworld Forums) - technical help

CURRENT PROGRESS

Texture resource WAD: available here

Mapping:
UAC01 - started (Katamori), now abandoned
UAC18 - Work in progress (Processingcontrol)

MAP LIST

Segment 1: Escape from the prison and navigate different sectors in a gigantic UAC military base until the freedom.

UAC01: Prisonbreak
UAC02: Trash Storage
UAC03: The Living Quarters
UAC04: Industrial Area
UAC05: Laboratory Omega
UAC06: Military Barracks
UAC07: Base Command Centre
UAC08: Fight for the Freedom (boss-fight 1: the UAC first army)

Segment 2: The soldier fights his way through the Grand Canyon. Then on a secret metro line, he sneaks to a mall, and later he fights through the fusion power plant in the big city of Electropolis.

UAC08: Metro Strike
UAC09: Warehouse Escape
UAC10: The Mall
UAC11: Welcome to Electropolis
UAC12: A Tight Spot
UAC13: Mission Impossible
UAC14: Silver Corridors
UAC15: Electropolis Fusion Power Plant (boss-fight 2: the Spec-Ops Soldier)

Segment 3: After the explosion,the soldier awakes in the middle of a wasteland (or desert) and now he fights through natural areas (desert, convoy, abandoned building, mountain, etc.) and finally he find a super secret laboratory, which opens a gate to another world (NOT HELL!)

UAC16: Survived
UAC17: Nevada Station UAC
UAC18: The Caught Convoy
UAC19: Cliffside Fight
UAC20: The River
UAC21: Behind the Waterfall
UAC22: Laboratory X: North Side
UAC23: Laboratory X: The Centre
UAC24: Portal of Evil (boss-fight 3: a new kind of Icon of Sin)

Segment 4: The evil in the other side became too strong, and the soldier must stop the new invasion of Earth. A gigantic space are with floating islands and buildings (like Xen in the first Half-Life game)

UAC25: The Floating World
UAC26: Valley of Shadows
UAC27: Underwater Realm
UAC28: Return To The Void
UAC29: Unknown Site
UAC30: The Flaming Bridge
UAC31: Alien Temple
UAC32: Sanctuary of the Oracle (boss-fight 4: the Oracle)

a massive corporation warring against traditional nations is a cool idea for a cyberpunk-ish setting, however i think the hero comes off less as a freedom fighter and more as a paramilatary milita/terrorist guy. private army in central usa, eh? did uac also kill his wife and sister who are the same person?

Interesting idea. I can help out in terms of music and maybe some mapping, but I'm definitely no scripter.

dew said:

private army in central usa, eh? did uac also kill his wife and sister who are the same person?

No, you misunderstood me! :O

UAC became very strong and it has a lot of military bases and military operations in the heart of the United States. To sum up, a big part of the country is belong to the UAC (or allies with them, doesn't matter)

And here the word "private" means the military rank. Private is the lowest rank of the soldier, before the sergeant and others. I hope now you already understood me. :)

PRIMEVAL said:

Interesting idea. I can help out in terms of music and maybe some mapping, but I'm definitely no scripter.

Thanks :) I already had a list of music from Doom, Doom 2, Final Doom, Heretic, Hexen and Rise of the Triad, but other music can be better :)

Katamori said:

MAP01-MAP06: escape from the prison and navigate 5 sectors in a gigantic UAC military base

Gee, 5 sectors across 6 maps? And huge maps? That's pretty low detail right there. :P

But smartassedness aside, I like the idea of this project. :) It sounds very ambitious, but with enough work it could be pulled off. You should consider putting together a small demo by yourself first. (though I am willing to help a little bit) Then show the demo, and maybe then other people will join.

Visually, I imagine a desaturated blue look to the city areas, with a lot of industrial rot, and a black polluted sky, with red lights shining through the smog, with really tall buildings. I guess kinda similar to the really early City 17 concept art for HL2.

Sodaholic said:

Gee, 5 sectors across 6 maps? And huge maps? That's pretty low detail right there. :P

But smartassedness aside, I like the idea of this project. :) It sounds very ambitious, but with enough work it could be pulled off. You should consider putting together a small demo by yourself first. (though I am willing to help a little bit) Then show the demo, and maybe then other people will join.

Visually, I imagine a desaturated blue look to the city areas, with a lot of industrial rot, and a black polluted sky, with red lights shining through the smog, with really tall buildings. I guess kinda similar to the really early City 17 concept art for HL2.

1. Look, there are 5 sectors (prison, living area, industrial area, laboratories, and command sector) and the 6th is a totally outside area, the escape in the canyon. But I wrote this :)

2. It can't be a one-person work. It's too serious. I'll ask help from other people.

3. Well, good idea, but I imagine Electropolis a very clear, nice and modern place. Some part of this area will be sneaking parts, between civilians or just hiding between buildings. :)

Seeker_of_Truth said:

I like the idea of it, but my mapping skills are too limited for a project of this scale. Good luck though. I really hope this project gets off the ground.

Yes, there'll be two or more mappers, it's too hard for one person.

Katamori said:

In the 22th century,

I wish I lived in the 22th century.

Good luck Katamori. :)

KiiiYiiiKiiiA said:

I wish I lived in the 22th century.
Good luck Katamori. :)

I also want to live in this age :D thanks :)

by the way, I would like to know, who might help me, if I would start in this project in the future?

This sounds like a nice idea. There aren't that many wasteland or void maps like the ones you've described, and city maps are always fun. I might be interested in helping with the maps, but I don't know jack about ACS.

If this is for zdoom you don't have to follow the MAP01-06, MAP07-MAP11, ect. episode format.

Vaporizer said:

ZDoom wiki could help you with ACS stuff and so.

Yes I know, I'll join to one of the ZDoom communities sonn (realm667.com or ZDoom Forums - first one is also interesting)

Processingcontrol said:

This sounds like a nice idea. There aren't that many wasteland or void maps like the ones you've described, and city maps are always fun. I might be interested in helping with the maps, but I don't know jack about ACS.

If this is for zdoom you don't have to follow the MAP01-06, MAP07-MAP11, ect. episode format.

Thanks :) I imagine about gigantic sizes, e.g. the desert will have a incredibly huge move area, and player will think it never ends. Also, on the cliffside level I must make a huge outside area for the realism.

Electropolis will be also huge like a real metropolis :D I have a lot of inspiration in some ZDaemon CTF levels and Duke Nukem 3D.

BTW, when I created these ideas, I thought about episodes, because I didn't know too much ZDoom features, but you're right, I can add other ideas, especially to the outside levels and the super secret lab.

Well, I read some basic things about DECORATE, but it looks like a nightmare. I can't do anything useful, so I'll need help.

Also I'll continue learning, but only tomorrow. This thing consumed my energy.

Yes, of course :) but previously, I try to learn something about DECORATE and ACS, so I don't start the project yet. Also, I can't figure out, how to start this. Technical, or maps, or maybe both...

Ehh, it's so hard. But nobody made great work without suffering from the problems!

Okay, folks, I decided the right order: firstly I'll make the maps and then I'll add the extra features :)

but before I start to work, two questions:

- I merge more WAD files, which contains textures only (texture packs), and I afraid for that they won't work. Simply the Merge option is enough to make more WAD into one?

- I need some textures, which I didn't find nowhere. I would like you to send me please something red sand texture or anything which would be good to the Grand Canyon! Also, I need cloud textures for the skyboxes in the future. Can sou help me?

dew said:

private army in central usa, eh? did uac also kill his wife and sister who are the same person?

You are a dirty, radioactive drenched czech scum bag.

Well, I decided about the textures and GreyGhost compiled them for me into one WAD.

Used packs (source: realm667.com):
5th Episode Texture Pack
Cage's Texture Pack
Doom Textures for Doom II
Doom Potpourri Texs
Duke Nukem 3D textures
Nightmare Animations Pack *
Silver Texture Pack

* doesn't work yet :(

Now, I would like to ask, who wants to join the project? Because as I said, it can't be one-man project. It's too hard for it.

Well count me being interested in joining for mapping, the city/desert maps seem interesting. I don't think that the texture packs you mentioned have too many desert/wasteland/canyon textures. Duke 3D has some really good ones (That tan one with the crevices is one of my favorite textures of all time) but they're only a couple.

Duke Nukem textures are more important in the view of the city levels :) I would like to make perfect city levels and DN textures are more than excellent for this.

BTW, I'll ask GreyGhost to redoing the texture pack, because I added sky textures and deleted the non-important textures.

BTW2, would you like to do The Caught Convoy level or maybe the Nevada Station UAC? I want Survived to my own level, but other ones are free :)

Sounds fine to me. :)
Should I start work now, or wait a little until stuff about the project becomes more finalized?

Please, wait until GreyGhost compiled me the texture pack!

Also, don't forget that the WAD will contains a lot of ZDoom features like cutscenes and ACS dialogue (not the same with the Strife DIALOGUE-s!) so maybe I have to make screenplay to each levels.

But if you don't agree with that, you might say your ideas, of course.

Olympus said:

Wow, that looks pretty damn cool. But what is the first shot a picture of?

Inner picture from the skybox.

Pedro VC said:

Looks dark and atmoshperic, very good to a prision.

As I wrote in the first post, I already made a prison level previously. I have a few experiance about this, but I don't have too many ideas for the whole construction. :(

Can you give me some idea of what those two levels you mentioned will be about so I can start work on them?

BTW,that prison looks really good.

Processingcontrol said:

Can you give me some idea of what those two levels you mentioned will be about so I can start work on them?

BTW,that prison looks really good.

Thanks!

Nevada Station UAC:
- a complete UAC base in the middle of the desert
- warehouse, barracks, vehicle station -> about these things
- a big station area needed with the exit (surface or underground, doesn't matter)
- the exit will be a big vehicle, something long with wheels :D
- a question: can you use ZDoom features? (mapping and ACS) In real, don't have to use too much features if you don't want, just make something with good feeling :)

The Caught Convoy:
- moving floor of course - when you fall down, you dead immediately
- line horizon
- when you die and your corpse reaches the edge of the map, use silent teleport to another room with line horizon
- this level will contains the vehicle from the previous map ending and a few more big vehicles (about 5)
- connect the vehicles with 3D bridges
- have you played Unreal Tournament 2004? I want a similar level to the mission Convoy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cjRX_FwYYQ
- without the many 3D details of course

This is it.

BTW, can you help me with the ACS scripts? Like Polyobjects, ChangeCamera, FadeTo and others which will be important for the cinematics.