Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Grazza

Miscellaneous demos (part 1) [please post in part 3 instead]

Hmmm, I have a bad habit of making improvements of my demos a few hours after posting them. Maybe I should wait 3 days before posting any demo, or something like this. Anyway:

Back To Hell
E3M4 UV-Max in 6:52

b2h4-652.zip

movepath in 16.86
recorded with prboom+ 2.5.0.8, complevel 2

lmpdet dump:

Statistics for player 1 (all data given are percentages except where noted):

Total gametics of while player was strafing: 67.511521
Total gametics of while player was strafing 41-50: 31.797235
Total gametics of while player was straferunning: 67.281106

Straferunning gametics that are normal: 52.910959
Straferunning gametics that are above normal: 47.089041
Above-normal straferunning breakdown:
Straferunning gametics that are at strafe50: 44.006849
Straferunning gametics that are between normal and strafe50: 3.082192

Total of all gametics that are between strafe41 and strafe49 inclusive: 2.073733
Strafe 45 (in gametics): 17
Strafe 46 (in gametics): 1
Direct SR40 turn <-> SR50 changes (cases): 14
Direct SR40 turn <-> SR40 changes (cases): 40

heh, i wanted to check my sr40/50 ratio (rather poor, tbh) and found out i have a ton of sr45 tics in there. they always seem to bridge transitions between 40/50 segments, is that, uh, normal? i always thought of them as gears to shift between and it didn't occur to me the engine might be sneaking middle steps in.

move1686.zip

Bleh, I just don't know how to handle the ending, Hegyi is a hell of a doomgod to beat... but eventually it might just happen someday.

plutonia (1) map 16 in 2:42

I heartedly hope no one around has a faster than 2:37 run and is not sharing because of demo being ugleeh and stuff, just this crappie took me a good load of time. :<

pl16-242.zip

didierbertrand said:

Project Awesome e3m8 nightmare reality in 00:08

Watching that demo, it seemed to me that it should be possible to set up a one-shot kill, as it is a controllable set piece. And it turned out to be so.

Project Awesome E3M8 UV Max/Speed/Reality/Lemmings in 0:07

pjaw-007.zip

pjaw-007:

it presumably ensures that the spider is mostly within the same block that the BFG tracers are emitted into

??? Is this somehow related to BLOCKMAP?

Balls
UV-Max in 12:16

Recorded in zdoom 2.5.0. Please check readme for details.

Oh, and I have a question. How to write IDDT during the demo playback? I want to check automap for stray monsters, but game menu pops up when I press any key. :(

ball1216.zip

http://zdoom.org/wiki/Automap:
The map cheat ("iddt" or equivalent) has a third level, available by typing type am_cheat 3 in the console, which shows the things' bounding boxes as well

This is the only one I used (am_cheat 2 or am_cheat 3, then "playdemo" command from the console). Maybe there's another way, but I'm not an expert.

Thanks, it worked. I can't move the map though, but fortunately I didn't need it this time.

Grazza said:

Watching that demo, it seemed to me that it should be possible to set up a one-shot kill, as it is a controllable set piece. And it turned out to be so.

Project Awesome E3M8 UV Max/Speed/Reality/Lemmings in 0:07

Watching that demo, it seemed to me that it should be possible to do in 6 seconds, but I can't do it :( I got six times 7.00 and I just can't shave the last tick. Zip includes 7.00 demo (please, don't upload it Andy O. :)

Btw, how does the "quick start" actually work in the very first frame of the demo? I do it this way:
While game is loading the map, I press forward and when the "melting effect" happens, I raise forward button and then quickly press forward button (again) and left or right strafe button down. Same time I move my mouse little to get better angle. This explanation looks messy but maybe you know what I'm talking about.
Problem here is that random "mouse turns back to the original angle" and it makes annoying twist in the first few ticks and I have no clue what causes it. (and it might cost me one tick!)

pjawloop.zip

Memfis said:

Is this somehow related to BLOCKMAP?

Yes. This post, and the links given in it, should explain why this is the case.

Paska said:

Watching that demo, it seemed to me that it should be possible to do in 6 seconds, but I can't do it :( I got six times 7.00 and I just can't shave the last tick.

Sure, 6 seconds must be possible. I got a highish 7 on my second attempt, and felt that it would be tricky (for me, at least) to knock that second off.

Regarding quick start, are you doing this in vanilla or prboom+? (Not that I'm any sort of expert on this.) I'm aware that in vanilla, you can get some odd movements in the early tics. In prboom+, I generally just press the forward key (or a turning key) down just before the game starts, and then adjust direction a few tics in.

The older compet-n superstars (e.g. Adam W) can probable shed a lot of light on this, but they don't drop by too often here. There may have been discussion in the compet-n forums. I recall that the way key-presses before the game starts may be handled differently by different operating systems.

regarding quick start, if you swing your mouse during the wipescreen effect, you will be turned already in (during?) the first tic. it is not hard at all to learn the move and start in an angle that will let you sr40/50 right away.

Heh thanks Grazza, I checked compet-n forums (with the waybackmachine), but my mind was wandering so I read only all the speedrun posts :))

dew said:

regarding quick start, if you swing your mouse during the wipescreen effect, you will be turned already in (during?) the first tic. it is not hard at all to learn the move and start in an angle that will let you sr40/50 right away.

Thanks, that did help. Although I still face two problems. If I press forward and strafe left (or right) while the game is loading (moving mouse doesn't matter in this case), I do get the quick start but I THINK the first and the second ticks are virtually always like this:
Case one:
First tick: Move forward
Second tick: Move forward + strafe left

Case two:
First tick: strafe left
Second tick: Move forward + strafe left

So I never get move forward and strafe left to the very first tick so my movement takes curve and the acceleration isn't optimal, although I'm not sure if this is really the case.

Demo shows the curve in the beginning. After the curve I move my mouse very little to the left and the aim warps back to the default angle for no reason. (Maybe dew answered to the latter problem already, but I'm still confused with the curve, unless it's normal)

curve.zip

Here's another demo of Project Awesome E3M8 to match Paska's, 7.00 seconds.

The start is slightly different, it should be possible in theory to open the door and fire the BFG each one tick sooner but I can't get it.

Quoting Pashka's next post:

You got the BFG at 0.31 seconds and I got it 2 ticks later at 0.37 seconds :)

I did a quick turn like Dew mentioned so I could get better acceleration. But I can't get a better time, unfortunately.

pjawe_007_verty.zip

UV-Maxes for MAPs01-09 of Simplicity - Because Complexity Sucks. Recorded in ZDoom 2.5.0.

1      Aegis Power Plant         1:35
2      Waste Processing          2:03
3      Hazzard Storage           2:39
4      Mechanical Labs           3:23
5      Cargo Transfer            3:30
6      Research Center           5:04
7      Complications             2:14
8      Central Security Grid     3:07
9      Manufacturing Plant       3:07
I wanted to make a UV-Max demopack for this wad, but after few days I found out that some maps doesn't work correctly in zdoom 2.5.0. The biggest flaw: on map10 the boss doesn't appear!
Now I will work with Zdoom 2.1.7 and Ultimate Simplicity instead. But I can't just throw those demos into garbage, so here they are. Some of them are pretty good and some are just crappy first exits. Enjoy!

sp_simp01-09-uvmax.zip

j4rio said:

Yippee :))

plutonia map 16 in 2:32

Wow, congrats on beating Hegyi!! The demo was very fun to watch and probably very fun to record to. :)