Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Katamori

When your project become boring

Present day I have 2 single maps, which are important to finish in the future. But I start to bore these projects. I just sit in front of the monitor, and Doom Builder is stay. My brain always think about something different. What would I do?

I don't want to start any new project because it will be abandoned after some months.

I sometimes get bored or very frustrated with things I'm working on. I have a perfectionist vision at times. I have flipped out while drawing and tore hours of work to shreds a few times.

Not good...

Mapping doesnt bore me. I take a break now and then, go back and finish it. But I always view alot of my stuff as bad for some reason. I'm self conscious to post some of my stuff on here at times.

yellowmadness54 said:

I take a break now and then, go back and finish it. But I always view alot of my stuff as bad for some reason. I'm self conscious to post some of my stuff on here at times.

Yes, maybe I have to do this.

Katamori said:

What would I do?

I'll tell you what I'd do, man: Two chicks at the same time, man.

No, but seriously, just go do something else. I have so little time to map that I never really get bored with it, though.

As said above, work on other things. When I get bored of mapping, I work on various music projects. Get bored of that, I may go into Photoshop, or start a new game. Back to mapping, back to music, back to photoshop, continue my game, etc. Or if it really comes down to it, do some homework.

Try pretending it's back in the 90's and you've been made responsible for making a map for the original IWAD, and go to Lastfm.com and listen to Alice In Chains radio,

pretend Doombuilder 2 is the original editor written for Doom,

it works for me!

Katamori said:

Present day I have 2 single maps, which are important to finish in the future. But I start to bore these projects. I just sit in front of the monitor, and Doom Builder is stay. My brain always think about something different.

Welcome to every DOOM project I've ever started.

A lot of projects started by me and went to fog. And yes, you should take a break of Doom, do you have a game to complete? Do you have a PS2 to play with you'r friend :P? Well just do anything. If you are only bored from mapping then play pwads at the break, when it comes back you will be full of new ideas, as I'm playing an Oblige megawad.

There is a good idea, lets say you stopped working on a project leaving 2 maps, then you started another one and another and another... Lets say 4 times.

If all of these maps fit together or some then combine it and you'll get back to your first project.

If you are planning to do a full megawad either you will take really long but deserves it or map with another.

C30N9 said:

A lot of projects started by me and went to fog. And yes, you should take a break of Doom, do you have a game to complete? Do you have a PS2 to play with you'r friend :P? Well just do anything. If you are only bored from mapping then play pwads at the break, when it comes back you will be full of new ideas, as I'm playing an Oblige megawad.

I don't have consoles, I don't have friends, and the only game which I play is Minecraft, but it also becomes less interesting. And IMO Oblige sucks, especially because I played Nazi Auferstehung.

C30N9 said:

There is a good idea, lets say you stopped working on a project leaving 2 maps, then you started another one and another and another... Lets say 4 times.

If all of these maps fit together or some then combine it and you'll get back to your first project.

If you are planning to do a full megawad either you will take really long but deserves it or map with another.

Hmmm... very good idea! :D

I know one of the maps you're posting about is your MAP21 slot of the Progressive Fiction Community Project

My advice in regards to this particular map is as follows:

1. Your map is a portal to Earth from Hell. Think about what sorts of structures/areas would be there and fit them into a logical or interesting formation.

2. Think small. You're making the first map of the last episode so it can be forgiven for not being very big. Small maps suit your style and a tight compact brutal map would be fun to make.

3. Play progfic.wad. You might want to repeat some ideas already used or it might spark some ideas of your own.

4. Seek inspiration from elsewhere. Find and play maps that fit the description of your map, use oblige to build one (as an idea generator, not to build your map) or checkout some videos on YouTube. Once you have an idea for 3 or 4 areas down you'll find it becomes much easier to knit them together.

5. It's not always good to force creativity but it can sometimes work. Draw the whole map with snap to grid set to 64. Concentrate on interesting layout rather than detail. When your happy with it lower the grid size for architecture, then lower again for detailing.

6. If Doombuilder isn't happening for you use paper instead. Rooms and layouts can be quickly sketched and erased if you don't like them and (hopefully), sooner or later, you'll hit open something you're interested in recreating in a level editor.

I'm currently sitting at the 26 map mark for my Doom2 megawad and it's come to a grinding halt.
Ups and downs... human nature.

purist said:

I know one of the maps you're posting about is your MAP21 slot of the Progressive Fiction Community Project

Progfic MAP21 isn't problem for me, I already decided what will I do: undeground catacombs with crypts. But it's a very long and boring work with a lot of copy-pastes and recreations of previous places.

Another suggestion is why not everyday create a single room? I know it is really slow but it will have an end.

Also sometimes I stop mapping a map and I feel the power of boredom, however if I open it and make a small step I could get back the desire. That happened with my last E2 map for DTWID, at first I canceled it because I felt it was not going to work. After 2 weeks I picked it up and then I had a fun time mapping it to the end. The result quite pleased Hellbent and some others.

But this suggestion won't work with your map in purist's if this is your week.

_bruce_ said:

I'm currently sitting at the 26 map mark for my Doom2 megawad and it's come to a grinding halt.
Ups and downs... human nature.

I need one more map to finish my project, it needs to be hell themed but I cba, and have no ideas, hopefully by the times I've added all the monsters and items to my other levels I will have thought of something.

If its a nice day, go for a bike ride, gives you time to think

C30N9 said:

But this suggestion won't work with your map in purist's if this is your week.

I had to do the map previously, but on my week I was busy, so I made a simple concept map but I promised, I'll finish the map until my next slot (MAP28)

BTW, Foodles: I hate riding bike

I ran out of ideas too, but found something that inspires me.
Deathmatch wads. More specifically in 'skulltag doom in hexen' format. There are tons of crazy ideas that is possible to think of, and even though this was my first time mapping in that format, deathmatch gave me a good view of all functions including slopes, 3D floors, and the basics too like lifts, and switches. Not only did it provide me with valuable knowledge for future maps, it provided me with fresh new ideas and I would then continue on my other map with a lot of progress being done. However going too heavily into the features like custom monsters, slopes, etc. will give you few ideas if you are mapping into formats besides that one. Try to map a deathmatch. See if it gives you ideas.

I abandoned two maps, one being one to replace E1M2 and the other was the rest of the E2 episode I was making for Doom.