Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DuckReconMajor

Regenerating Health

st.alfonzo said:

At the same time, the checkpoint system used by Exl in his Demons of the Problematique mapset (I believe it was the sequel although I'm not sure if both used checkpoints) worked rather well I thought, and not at all because they came in the shape of blue little floppy disks. If Vela Pax used a similar system I'd probably just roll with it. It's not as though I'm forced to abide by it.

I liked this system as well. Another possible system worth exploring would be if saves were Heretic-style inventory items which would always be in limited supply. Of course, the player will still just back into the menu and save manually whenever he feels like it.

Xeros612 said:

@Mancannon
What difficulty/settings were you playing on that made it seem so "terrible"?

I can't remember, it was at a friends house and i started a game and had to pump so many bullets into a human before he would die, and when they died they went flying, it looked and felt retarded.

Redux removed the tacky crosshair, the stupid gravity that would send bodies flying, the ugly ass hud, anomalies were invisible and enabled bleeding on enemies and fixed the broken economy as well as many other things (realistic gun ballistics :D:D:D:D ). It's a good example of a mod that greatly enhances the game without having to add a ton of shit, it mostly balanced parameters.

AMK was similar too i think, i never played it but it was very well respected mod, i think it was Russian.

Anyway i loved Stalker to death once i brought it because the first thing i did was find a mod like Redux, i did troll the guy who developed the mod later and got him upset but i still respect what they did.

ManCannon said:

I can't remember, it was at a friends house and i started a game and had to pump so many bullets into a human before he would die, and when they died they went flying, it looked and felt retarded.

Chances are you were playing on the rookie difficulty setting then. The difficulty settings in Stalker are weird. The higher the difficulty, the less hits it takes to kill you. At the same time though enemies die faster on harder difficulty settings as well. So basically damage is increased for literally everyone in the game, not just you.

The problem with realistic ballistics mods is it makes the game too easy. Combat never takes place at more than 150 meters in either of the games, which any weapon under realistic ballistics other than shotguns with buckshot and some pistols would be too adept at killing anything in the game.

Also, why would you troll a mod creator?

I like Shogo's critical hit system. Damage you inflict is randomly dictated to register a critical hit that gives you some health during a heated fight. Rewarding action over sloth.

Xeros612 said:

The problem with realistic ballistics mods is it makes the game too easy. Combat never takes place at more than 150 meters in either of the games, which any weapon under realistic ballistics other than shotguns with buckshot and some pistols would be too adept at killing anything in the game.

Also, why would you troll a mod creator?

This is true, but i remember having a hard time with the game as enemies were not always in the distance and often you would be travelling at night or placed in difficult positions. It's personal taste but i like weapons to have a good kick to them, i like powerful pistols that kill very fast (like one or two chest shots).

Like Doom, Stalker has the advantage of monsters, so you can have humans that die very easy and creatures that have larger health numbers.

I trolled the guy because he was being a bit of a prissy towards another mod creator, also i am troll.

Chances are you were playing on the rookie difficulty setting then. The difficulty settings in Stalker are weird. The higher the difficulty, the less hits it takes to kill you. At the same time though enemies die faster on harder difficulty settings as well. So basically damage is increased for literally everyone in the game, not just you.

Yea it's possible, i still think the game looked tacky on it's default setting though. Silly physics (handgun sending bodies flying), inaccurate weapons, ugly man poo crosshair and HUD. Those things do fall under personal taste though so i'm sure some people enjoyed it out of the box.

It's one of my favorite games, Call of Pripyat was ok but i heard the one before it was poo, i never usually bother with sequels anyway.

In my personal opinion, regenerating health kinda sucks. The only way it seems to be balanced in games is when there's a lot of stuff that can actually kill you in one or two hits, which kinda leaves a cheap feel to it. Though I do sometimes like the idea of regenerating tiny bit more health to get you out of "1 feet drop kills you" state, something like a regeneration that starts when you hit 10% health and takes you to 20%, but thats that, heal the rest 80% from something else.

Otherwise regenaration can just be so abuseable, just idle around till you get back to health and continue, it doesn't really feel so much workable, rewarding.

Ofcourse the whole search for a health kit from other side of the map isn't too much fun either.

Each for their own though, but I'm honestly biggest fan to the carriable health kits style. Use em while you go, use em wisely, pick extra ones if you find em. Run out? Too bad, should've been more careful.

I still think health kits you can carry around with you are the best system, yes. Gets rid of having to constantly backtrack for health, but it's still finite and demands some care on your part.

Megamur said:

I still think health kits you can carry around with you are the best system, yes. Gets rid of having to constantly backtrack for health, but it's still finite and demands some care on your part.

I think I've already said this, but, Heretic had the correct balance.

Megamur said:

Gets rid of having to constantly backtrack for health

Only if you refrain from ever screwing up in the level or if the game's too linear to let you go back.

Megamur said:

Gets rid of having to constantly backtrack for health,

constantly? You can also get rid of that by not getting shot all the time. Or even better, making a game in which you don't have to expect to be taking damage just because you made visual contact. Instead, have enemies in the game that produce attacks that require the player to do something other than be a walking damage sponge in order to live. Like, oh say, getting out of the way ala doom or contra.

Megamur said:

It's harder to design game play around that premise than with static health packs though. Fortunately, Heretic got both in place.

Megamur said:

There's a needs to be fine limit to how many can be carried at once. I think it was F.E.A.R. that let you run around with 7 or 8 medkits. I literally had the use medkit hotkeyed to my Mouse4 thumb button and could completely heal in thick of battle. Made it a little too easy sometimes.

There needs to be that right balance.

Regenerating health has pros and cons.

In military games, it often works. It doesnt make sense, though at that same time. "oh hey, I done got shot in teh face by a M107 .50BMG, ima hide behind this car and recover in 12 seconds"

But at that same notion, does coming across a box and it filling health faster make sense, either?

It works for some games and not others. Really depends.

They could do it like it was in operation flashpoint 2, but just like that game in general, its no fun :(

Blood's health system isn't bad either. There's almost no static health pickups and you rely a lot on portable medkits, but occasionally enemies will drop health boosts upon death. Again, you still have to be careful since health is finite, but you'll get recharges along the way, and it also encourages you to kill everything you can, even civilians.