Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
E.J.

Is dehacked sprite remapping possible?

Hi all.

About what the title says... Is it possible for sprites to be remapped in gold ol' dehacked (not decorate, or some such nonsense).

I've only dabbled in changing (manually) a few deh strings here & there, so forgive my ignorance in the matter.

If so, could someone give me example?

E.J. said:

Hi all.

About what the title says... Is it possible for sprites to be remapped in gold ol' dehacked (not decorate, or some such nonsense).

I've only dabbled in changing (manually) a few deh strings here & there, so forgive my ignorance in the matter.

If so, could someone give me example?

What dya mean by remapping?

You mean changing something like POSS (The zombieman's prefix) to something else that is four letters like ZOMB? It is possible for the name change doing it via Dehacked.

Similar to what you'd do to remap automap text, or change the level music.

ie - To change the music called by Doom on it's first stage from the D_E1M1 midi to a custom D_NMAP1 lump.

Text 4 5
e1m1nmap1
I want certain frames of animation to call on different (non-default) sprites.

EDIT:

You mean changing something like POSS (The zombieman's prefix) to something else that is four letters like ZOMB? It is possible for the name change doing it via Dehacked.

Can I change specific sprites, and not the entire set of beginning with POSS (for example)?

Via dehacked you can only change the four-letter label for the entire set.

If doing this, you need to be aware of possible incompatibilities. For instance, if the sprite you are changing has gib frames, and you change it to a sprite that lacks gib frames, you will get a crash if the gib frame is needed.

It doesn't sound to me like you want to change sprite names. It sounds to me like you want to change the sprite and/or frame of the sprite used in a particular thing frame.

These are determined by the sprite number and spriteframe number (DeHackEd calls this latter one something different and highly inaccurate with respect the source code) in the Frames section. Not all frames for an object need to use the same sprite.

Quasar said:

These are determined by the sprite number and spriteframe number (DeHackEd calls this latter one something different and highly inaccurate with respect the source code) in the Frames section. Not all frames for an object need to use the same sprite.

How would I determine the right frames then?

What I basically want to do is something like this:

Display TROOA1 as TROOA1, TROOB1, TROOC1...
Display TROOA2A8 as TROOA2A8, TROOB2B8, TROOC2C8...
Etc...

E.J. said:

How would I determine the right frames then?

What I basically want to do is something like this:

Display TROOA1 as TROOA1, TROOB1, TROOC1...
Display TROOA2A8 as TROOA2A8, TROOB2B8, TROOC2C8...
Etc...

I am not entirely sure what you mean, but the correspondence between frame lump letters and sprite frame numbers starts at A == 0. So TROOA1/TROOA2A8/TROOA3A7/TROOA4A6/TROOA5 are rotations displayed by the thing frame that is using sprite frame #0 for the sprite TROO. You cannot change a sprite to use differently named rotations; for that you have three options:

• Provide a full set of rotation lumps from ****A1 to ****A8
  • Provide a set of mirrored rotation lumps (A2A8, etc as above)
  • Provide one single all-angles rotation, ****A0
TROOA*** through TROOD*** are, for example, the Imp's walking frames. TROOA*** are rotations just for the first walking frame. TROOB*** are rotations for the second walking frame. Etc.

To do it: I press F7, go to the intended sprite, press J, then rename the sprite.

Grazza said:

Via dehacked you can only change the four-letter label for the entire set.

If doing this, you need to be aware of possible incompatibilities. For instance, if the sprite you are changing has gib frames, and you change it to a sprite that lacks gib frames, you will get a crash if the gib frame is needed.

Renaming the sprite is dead useful when you want to use new sprites in vanilla wads without needing DeuSF any more.

Okay let me attempt to explain again. This is just an example, and not the specific situation.

I want to use the Imp's TROO "A" subset of sprites to be used where the TROO subsets of B, C, D, E, F, G, and H would normally be displayed. This is to avoid sprite redundancy (having multiple copies of the same sprite/gfx/etc...).

I was hoping it'd be something simple like reusing the intermission music for all the other stages.

Text 4 5
e1m1inter

Text 4 5
e1m2inter

I've only been learning a part of dehacked at the time. I don't have time to sit down, and learn every aspect of it (only what I need at the time).

Frame 446
Sprite subnumber = 0

Frame 447
Sprite subnumber = 0

Frame 448
Sprite subnumber = 0

Frame 449
Sprite subnumber = 0

Frame 450
Sprite subnumber = 0

Frame 451
Sprite subnumber = 0
OR
Frame 444
Next frame = 444
and you get to save 7 other frames for something else.

printz said:

OR

Frame 444
Next frame = 444
and you get to save 7 other frames for something else.

That's it. Thanks. Now I suppose I just have to determine the frame numbers.

If what you want to do is make the zombie have player sprites, you would put:

Frame 174 
Sprite number = 28
But I don't know if that's what you want!

EDIT: Ooops, ninja'd