Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
gemini09

Pitch-black darkness in GZDoom

Changed the thread a bit:

I'm not satisfied with the light-levels in GZDoom when it comes to darkness. Level 0 is pitch-black, but level 1 is as bright as level 96 - more or less.

I think it's very difficult to work with and I hope the lighting in GZDoom is improved

Hey gemini09,

Have you looked at the sector light mode used in GZD?

They vary quite a bit in how gradual the decline in lighting appears. Doom and Dark appear the same (basically pitch-black from about 96 units), and standard is more gradual and bright appears to be the same as standard but everything is a touch brighter.

Not sure if this would be relevant for others with different video cards but this is how the different light modes appear for me.

EDIT: This got me thinking about comparing the modes and other ports. The map below is 0 - 255 in 16 unit steps.

GZDoom (Doom)

GZDoom (Standard)

GZDoom (Bright)

For comparison, this is GLBoom+

This is GZDoom (software renderer, so I take it ZDoom looks like this)

and this is EDGE (GL)

-t

traversd said:

Doom and Dark appear the same (basically pitch-black from about 96 units)

If you don't have shaders (as your screenshots seem to show), then they are the same. Dark is an empirical closest-match to the software renderer. Doom is the same, but with an added shader effect to brighten the area around the player like the software renderer does.

Does that mean they will look quite different Gez? The "missing shaders" point you touched on. Is that due to a missing or mucked up lights.pk3 or a setting? I have a 9800m GS which should be fine "shader-wise' I think.

Sorry Gem, have somewhat hijacked your thread :o/

-t

It's a question of what your hardware supports. And yeah, a GeForce 9 should be enough. I have a 9600 GT and it works.

Anyway, here's an album; from the top down: Bright, Standard, Legacy, Doom, Dark.

These screenshots are taken in MAP01, in the corridor to the chainsaw at the start, looking back towards the room. Gamma at 1.0, brightness at 0.0, GL ambiant light level at 11, radial fog mode.

Ok, I see what you mean re: halo around the player. Hrm... I will have to tinker some.

;o)

Cheers

-t

EDIT: Updating to the latest Nvidia drivers has given me shaders in GZDoom so I've got all the glowing flats etc... I told it to perform a clean install which perhaps did more to fix it than the new drivers themselves ;o)

Is there perhaps a way to shrink the halo of light around the player?

As is, it lights up walls about 128 or 192 units ahead of you. IMO 32-64 would be more appropriate

There is also very little balance between the room's ambient light-level, and the degree of brightness your magic eyes cast around you..

Perhaps it would be best to disable that halo altogether. Can that be done in the settings menu..?

gemini09 said:

Perhaps it would be best to disable that halo altogether. Can that be done in the settings menu..?

In the software renderer: no.

In the OpenGL renderer: use any lighting mode other than "Doom".

Gez said:

In the OpenGL renderer: use any lighting mode other than "Doom".

Problem is, many maps are designed around this particular property of the software renderer so using 'Dark' lighting mode often causes visibility problems in darker maps.

Sorry to bump the thread

Is there a way to let dynamic lights work in sectors with the light level at zero?

Traversd, in response to your first post, Standard looks very good there, but again, the problem arises when you walk close, and it all becomes pretty much the same. Walk further back, and there's a chance it will all turn the same again, only this time everything goes black

edit: I think I found a solution with the Vavoom light

Anyway

The Vavoom light objects work pretty good - they simply work in the dark

There's something of a monkey-wrench in the works still: the radius. It doesn't seem to stretch any far, when the RGB values are low. Could this be correct?

The RGB numbers are all 10, and I tried to set the radius to 64 and 512, and they both looked the same

So what gives?

Don't tell me we're supposed to place one hundred little pieces to compensate for one large one?

these 3 light objects have RGB values 10, 10, 10 and radius 255