Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
GreyGhost

Semi-official Doomworld pets thread

Blame Clonehunter, it was his idea.

Here's my contribution to get us started. While they don't exactly qualify as pets, I was adopted by a family of magpies last winter. They turn up at regular intervals for a feed of raw mince and on cold mornings to sun themselves on the front porch - which is a bit of a heat trap at that time of day.

(1000x840 - 224k)

I assure you, that magpie on the doormat is not dead.

Note by Grazza: Please note that there will be zero tolerance for any offensive pictures or obscene/inappropriate comments regarding other people's pets in this thread.

Yeah, birds... I fed around twenty seven wild ducks this past winter. They didn't leave for south and decided to stick around in a bathtub sized opening in the ice. It was quite cute, they'd run up to you for food. As soon as spring came they vanished.

I've also been feeding a wild turkey for two years. I've known it since it was a youngster. He traveled to the next town so I don't see him s often.

Every pet I have ever owned in the history of ever has died, without fail, within 6 months of purchase. In order:

1. Kinter the dog was purchased with a fatal illness and died 3 days after he was brought home.
  2. So was Looper. Both were Pomeranians.
  3. Pirimus the fat cat got sick in transit to our grandparents' house in Melbourne and was put down shortly afterwards.
  4. "Pack Cat" and her family were discovered breeding underneath our house in Sur, Oman. As part of my dad's ultimate plan to rid the house and its garden of hornets via mass fumigation once and for all, he succeeded in killing off the entire family of cats. They most certainly had rabies, but what's a word to a 9 year old?
  5. Opal the "carpet cat" waited by the side of the most vacant road in the suburb for the next available Honda and walked out into the middle of it. I was playing snakes and ladders at the time. I also won.
It was clear by this stage that I was never meant to care for animals in the presence of my home, although it was never really me who actually cared for them but my mother. The amount of torment it put me through as a child to have to grow new love for a pet only to have it squashed, keel over or die of pesticide was almost impossible to bare, and it wasn't long after the final act that I discovered a rather late interest in stuffed toys.

You'll be glad to know that I'm not looking to care for one in the near future. Maybe an ant farm or a fruit basket.

I've had literally hundreds of pets over the years - from the quite unusual to the relatively mundane. However, at present I only have a couple of dogs.

We had to let this guy go a year or so ago:

He was an excellent dog but he got absolutely enormous (he was about 3/4 grown in that pic). He is a cross between a Husky and a Northern Inuit. However, he got significantly bigger than normal for either breed (I'm 6'2" and he could stand on his hind legs, put his paws on my shoulder and look over my head) and because he is a sled dog, he is massively strong. Eventually I was the only person in the house who could walk him. He pulled my wife over a number of times and my kids were scared to walk him in case he either pulled them into traffic or simply ran into traffic and they couldn't stop him. He has a great personality and, despite how it sounds, was very obedient, but he outgrew us. Fortunately, we managed to find a home for him with a family that live on a big country estate where he has loads and loads of space to run.

Moving on to a smaller model, we now have these - definitely not always sleepy - border terriers. They are sisters (1 year apart), but quite different to each other in facial appearance (not obvious in this pic) and personality.

st.alfonzo said:

Tale of woe.

You'll be glad to know that I'm not looking to care for one in the near future. Maybe an ant farm or a fruit basket.

That's a terrible run of bad luck, did an old gypsy woman put a curse on you? If you get an ant farm, make sure they're not termites - they'll eat you out of house and home if given half a chance.

Maybe a tamagotchi is more your style.

GreyGhost said:

Maybe a tamagotchi is more your style.

Heh. I had one of those as well, but it got destroyed in the washing. Obviously I'm far better at killing virtual monsters than I am at caring for them.

@Enjay: That husky/Inuit looks strong and proud. I imagine it brought a lot of personality to the house! One thing that concerns me however is how the popularity of the breed (or combination of the two) has encouraged the housing of such dogs away from northern lying countries where conditions might not best suit them. Am I wrong in assuming that they can't cope all that well in hotter climates? I see an awful lot of breeders selling them here in Spain, and I can't help but feel concerned.

Also, if it's true that you reside in Aberdeen, do you think you could pick up my golf clubs from Murcar Links? I hear they’re thinking of throwing them into the North Sea.[/jokes]

st.alfonzo said:

@Enjay: That husky/Inuit looks strong and proud. I imagine it brought a lot of personality to the house! One thing that concerns me however is how the popularity of the breed (or combination of the two) has encouraged the housing of such dogs away from northern lying countries where conditions might not best suit them. Am I wrong in assuming that they can't cope all that well in hotter climates? I see an awful lot of breeders selling them here in Spain, and I can't help but feel concerned.

Yes, you are correct, they do find hot weather a problem and any literature on them will usually have a section on how to keep them cool in the summer and emergency cooling techniques for them. Fortunately, living near Aberdeen, hot summers were never an issue (though even here you could see him slow down and struggle a bit on warmer days). It was interesting, however, that he was clearly genetically wired for snowy weather. Even as a pup who had never seen snow, the first time it fell he went absolutely loopy, running around in it excitedly. In cold or snowy conditions he just wanted to walk, and walk, and walk. He was great to take into the hills on days like that. Often on a Winter's night, if we couldn't find him in the house, he would be outside in the garden just lying on the snowy/frosty ground.

They have a fascinating coat. On first glance you just spot the darker, straighter, longer hair that gives the animal is main appearance. However, under that is a thick, woolly layer of excellent insulating fur. The individual hairs are really interesting and look as if they have been separately crimped. Of course, when they start moulting, it comes off in giant handfuls and looks like you have been keeping a sheep in the house. I swear that it would be possible to gather it all up, spin it and make it into a jumper.

Evidence - sitting on a mat that we hoovered every day and not actually during a moult:

Seriously, even now we find clumps of it in the darker reaches of the house or under things in the garden.

st.alfonzo said:

Also, if it's true that you reside in Aberdeen, do you think you could pick up my golf clubs from Murcar Links? I hear they’re thinking of throwing them into the North Sea.[/jokes]

Near Aberdeen (just outside Inverurie). Anything near that part of the coast and to do with Golf is probably now under the legal ownership of one Donald Trump. :/

My cat can retract its entire body into its neck.

(It's not actually my cat, but we don't know who his owners are, and he probably goes all around the village where I live scrounging all sorts of morsels off the locals.)

The only pet I had was a bird named Tommy. One day he mistook a landscape painting for a window, flew into it, and snapped his neck.

And that's when I became a secular humanist.

He's a Red-Tabby American Shorthair, and 10 years old. His name is Sesame. If anyone cares, I can tell how we got him.

Danarchy said:

Don't have a pet, though I kind of wish I did. When I was living with my mom, she had a couple of cats, but she had to put them down recently because she could no longer care for them. RIP Ninny and Trouble.

I hope your mother burns in hell.

exp(x) said:

double bastard dog

I imagine the pooch must be quite wasted at that point.

Technician said:

Sorry to say, but I agree. That's really horrible =/

My kitteh:

I have two others (A kitten and an older cat) plus 2 dogs and a few chickens :3

Cat #1 Ashley:

Cat #2 Molly:

"Green" Anole:

Bahama/Brown Anole:

American Toad

Hmm, appears I'm one of the few here to own pets that aren't cats or dogs.

The only cat I ever owned was a calico that came with a house my family was moving into. Basically, this cat had originally been owned by someone in the neighborhood, but said someone had to move and couldn't afford to take the cat with them, so it was given to the neighbor across the street (the house I was moving into). This person had to move away, too, and didn't really want to go through the trouble of putting the cat in a carrier to move cross-country, so we adopted it when we moved in in 1997.

That cat was pretty awesome. In the four years I owned her, she dropped six dead mice on the front porch for us, scared off one stray dog twice her size, made friends with another cat nearby (never did figure out who owned that one - may have been a stray), and spent pretty much the whole rest of that time sitting on one rail of our back deck and basically looking like a meatloaf.

Around 2001, I guess she finally had her time, and after she'd been missing for a day, we found her peacefully deceased beneath our front porch. Looked just like she was sleeping. She got a proper burial, though when we moved out of the house a year later, the real-estate company advised us that it might not be a good idea to leave our custom-build headstone in the garden. I still wonder if the house's next owners ever found our makeshift cat coffin. =P

I would gladly own another cat, possibly even two, if I ever got the chance again - silly property management company won't let us have pets in the house we're renting.

I had a dog a while ago named Peter but he had to be put down. He was 13 years old and by the end of his life, he had a lot of health problems. His eye sight was getting really bad, he had a slight limp on one of his legs and had cancer. The sucky thing is that my parents took him to the vet to put him down in the middle of the night. I never got to say good bye. :(

My sister got a puppy last year named Abbie. She's cute, but a bit of a rowdy dog. She pissed in my parents' house twice already though. Also, she'll get pissy when guys get near her but she's friendly with girls.

Technician said:

I make friends with wild animals

You're fucking crazy. I want to be you.

Technician said:

Thirded. It's fucked up how people get pets and then aren't able to care for them. And, even if it happens, find someone who can for god's sake!

I know it's not always possible, but it still sucks and some people need to take getting a pet more seriously. My ex is lucky because her parents gladly took in her cats when she went to Germany. She basically bought them on a whim however, and they were two good sized cats living in a tiny area.

eargoesdown said:

chickens

OMG LOVE <3

Ok pictures, these are technically my two roommate's cats and I don't have to pay a cent...the best kind! (actually, I offered to pitch in but they refused) I love them so much that I can't help but post a million pictures, here they are in an album:

http://imgur.com/a/IAZUb

Also, the grand finale, prepare to die of cuteness:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tofzYjmfJ6c