Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
schmerr

What was the first pwad you ever played?

How good was your first wad ever?  

54 members have voted

1. 1. How good was your first wad ever?

• Awesome
    • It was ok.
    • Well, not so good.
    • Complete crap.

Oh Well, by "for pretty sure" I thought that you were confirming a wad name. Anyway.

GreyGhost said:

It says "over 100 of the highest rated levels," but are Aliens TC and the other best WADs of the era on there?

Capellan said:

Knee Deep in the DEU

oh man...i used to love the cave in one of those maps with the chasm and the stone bridge going across. the bridge looked like it had slopes because the room used all the same textures i think and because of the curves of the bridge.

I believe mine was that one where you break into a government installation to the Mission Impossible theme. It had highly-damaging nuclear barrels and a modified green plasma gun. Don't remember the name. x(

My first adventure into PWADs was off the D!Zone2 CD which I extensively used, which most of the maps were average to poor tho there were a few good ones like Crossing Acheron.

Processingcontrol said:

It says "over 100 of the highest rated levels," but are Aliens TC and the other best WADs of the era on there?

Aliens is on there but it's far from being the 100 best wads, still there's some old favorites like Ambush, Artifact and Cross Fire - amongst others.

Jimmy91 said:

I believe mine was that one where you break into a government installation to the Mission Impossible theme. It had highly-damaging nuclear barrels and a modified green plasma gun. Don't remember the name. x(

That sounds like Area 51

RightField said:

Think it was some 96-94 map series called "Dinner"

I remember that. If I remember correctly, one level had a surprisingly clever teleporting barrel trap. I had to pop open an editor to see how it was done.

The first PWAD I ever used was a Spear of Destiny TC wad. It had no music (except for some ambient sounds), and the assault rifle fired like a overpowered super shotgun, which made it much more powerful than the chaingun.

It was a slow, boring game.

I might have gotten it off of this site, which now has nothing but dead links.

http://www.doomworld.com/wolfendoom/

Another victim of the AtomicGamer buyout, that's happened to a few sites I used to visit.

I used Vanilla doom to run it, and I remember I didn't know anything about loading pwads at the time, I'm surprised I got it to run at all.

cq75 said:

Another victim of the AtomicGamer buyout, that's happened to a few sites I used to visit.

Try here:
http://www.doomwadstation.com/main/wolfdoom.html

I never played Wolf3D (or any conversions), but some of those sound pretty cool (Astrostein series, Escape from Totenhaus). Hopefully the gameplay is better than the one you had.

cq75 said:

I might have gotten it off of this site, which now has nothing but dead links.

http://www.doomworld.com/wolfendoom/

The files are still available if you know where to look and considering that site was last updated in 2003, you should expect the odd broken link.

EDIT - There's also a mirror site which doesn't use AtomicGamer's file servers.

I was rather lamely not internet savvy until a handful of years ago. While my first Doom play-through was about 14-15 years ago, my first pwad play-through was Requiem from about 2-3 years back.

I remember my first set of three PWADs I ever played, but not the exact order I did so. Getting them was also rather convoluted: I had purchased one of the first "Tons Of Multimedia and Shareware"-type of CD-ROMs ever released in Greece in 1994, but since I had no CD-ROM drive at the time, I got to the house of a friend who had a nasty 2x speed, custom-controlled affair, and copied the few WADs present on that CD-ROM onto a floppy.

They were The Unholy Trinity, Dead Base (v1.0) and FORGEX,WAD, although I had the first version with the extra cheesy samples.

Not quite a typical 1994 WAD lineup, seeing how at least Trinity and ForgeX were laden with custom graphics/sound, but they sure made me crave for more ;-)

Later on that same year, I bought my first CD-ROM drive, and my first PWAD shovelware CD (Doomania: Il passaporto per l'Inferno) from Italy. It kept me playing Doom through the rest of the 90s.

Pretty good stuff for your first add-ons. Unholy Trinity is kind of a DOOM must-play, and Dead Base is a great old level (though its sequel, Mountain of Fire, is arguably even better). Never played FORGEX, but now I feel I should consider it.

Hell 2 pay off of d!zone gold. I mainly remember me watching my brother play This. still one of my best doom experiences.

When I was about 4-6 I used to enjoy watching my dad and brother play. (since I was scared to play them my self, or was not allowed). The main games I remember watching is doom (map02 of doom2 sticks out the most as does the e3 church map) and a decent like game (can't remember the name).

The only doom wads I had till about 2007 was the ones on d!zone (still didn't even finish 1/3 of them)

Tormentor667 said:

The first one that I played and actually still remember is Cleimos... very classic and cool

Ditto.

I was amazed that the authors managed to add COMPLETELY NEW GRAPHICS like an MSPaint sky and some badly dithered/color-mapped photos. Still, at the time it was frickin' amazing.

On a side note: to anyone here who used ZDoom to play their first PWAD -- holy crap, you're making me feel f*ing old.

Lutz said:

On a side note: to anyone here who used ZDoom to play their first PWAD -- holy crap, you're making me feel f*ing old.

Some fond, and not so fond memories of the Doom95 launcher here. My first source port was Boom.

I remember using Boom for the first time, back when it was first released. At the time, naturally, I had no idea what a "source port" even was or what the purpose of one was supposed to be, so I didn't much care for it, seeing it as little more than DOOM with a more-colorful status bar and a much worse framerate.

To be honest, I still don't like Boom very much. The Allegro sound system it used was pretty awful, and I wasn't fond of things like the forced weapon recoil and such. Still, its importance in regards to being the foundation of many other great ports to come cannot be overstated.

anyone here ever play 'forest.wad'? i think thats its name atleast. this was back in the mid 90s. i think it was one of the first pwads i played that had custom graphics. i think the sky texture was changed to a forest looking thing. anyways, it was cool back then. (but i bet if i played it now it'd look shoddy)

Tormentor667 said:

The first one that I played and actually still remember is Cleimos... very classic and cool

holy shit!! i've been trying to remember the name of this particualar wad i once played, and thats it!! how weird. yeah that was so damn awesome back in the day.

Foofoo said:

anyone here ever play 'forest.wad'? i think thats its name atleast.

More times than I care to remember. Apart from undergoing several revisions (six that I know of, all of which can be found on shovelware CDs) the first three maps - individually and collectively - have found their way into many compilation wads.

Here's the current version

GreyGhost said:

The files are still available if you know where to look and considering that site was last updated in 2003, you should expect the odd broken link.

EDIT - There's also a mirror site which doesn't use AtomicGamer's file servers.

thanks, when I saw that AtomicGamer redirected me to what looked like the home page, I assumed the links were gone.

This game actually works pretty well. I know it's the same one because I remember the bird chirping ambient sounds. (S)he must have hacked into the heretic things tables.

Nice work on the hud, I didn't notice that the first time.

It even has a couple wolf3d music tracks in it, I probably forgot to put the .deh file in back then, because I didn't hear any music and the rifle was much slower (even with the .deh it's still overpowered, but it's an old wad, so that's ok)

8isenuf.wad by Neil Cameron,

mostly for the hell of a time I had to frag those 8 baron of hell. Good old times with a 386 and keyboard only.

Memento Mori... I was extremely interested in the idea of a full replacement and took the first one I could find. Oddly, I appreciate even more now than I did when I first played it.

I'm amazed that people actually remembered the first PWAD they played! I think the first one I played was a simpsons TC.