Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sharessa

Portal 2 Thread (potential spoilers)

The plot and story part, well, I've already repeatedly stated what I think of Portal's "story".

Yeah, we get it already... you've established the fact that you're not overly fond of the game's story. Unfortunately, I don't really see the logic in "I don't like the story, so Portal 2 isn't a sequel".

chungy said:

"some guy talking to you" sounds like a no. I mean, reactivating GLaDOS is the beginning of the game... so basically he didn't even make it past the introduction levels.

Haha, okay I'm done here.

@AgentSpork: For me the general gameplay content/size/playtime make it a mod/expansion/mappack/what should you call it. The quality of the storyline is just one of the elements.

AgentSpork said:

Honestly I'm curious as to what really constitutes a game being a sequel to you, as clearly further development into the game's storyline, moving into different territory, and expanding upon the existing universe isn't enough. From what I've been led to believe, those are the kind of things that usually constitute and define a sequel, regardless of its medium.

Thing is, making a completely different game is often what will get the community pissed off at you. That's why in X-Com continuity, everyone loves UFO Defense and Terror From the Deep (the second of which was just the first game with underwater missions), while no one ever fucking played Apocalypse or Enforcer. It's why there's such a divide in the communities over Doom 3 or Fallout 3. Or why people think that real Mario games ended after SMW or real Sonic games ended after 3.

Look at game series like the Civilization, The Elder Scrolls, or Total War. They basically remade the same game over and over again with better graphics and slightly different gameplay features, but essentially it's the same game over and over. Generally speaking, though, the fans of each series like all the games just as much (or at least there are equal amounts of fans for each game).

And what Belial said about Portal can be applies to Half-Life as well.

Half-Life 1: Fight interdimensional aliens and human soldiers while being lead down a linear path by NPCs.

Half-Life 2: Fight interdimensional aliens and interdimensional soldiers while being lead down a linear path by NPCs. With physics puzzles.

Belial said:

Haha, okay I'm done here.

Cave Johnson, we're done here.

I know the original was purely experimental on Valve's part so saying "better than the first one" doesn't apply, but that's what I'm saying. They took everything I liked about the first one and fleshed it out into something better. I really don't have any complaints so far; my only complaint is that I bought it for PS3 the same week PS Network is down; still, being a PS3 owner I'm glad Valve decided to return to it. Plus, getting a free copy for PC kicks ass. All in all my first play through (both single player and coop) took took about 14 hours, but unlocking the last 20-something achievements and the DLC that's coming is going to give me plenty more.

I got the game for $8.28 with Gamestop trade-ins (fuck Killzone 3, I'm so glad I got that game for free so I could trade it in) but if I'd had the money this is one of the few games I wouldn't have been disappointed buying full price.

The verdict is out: Belial is probably a boring dude.

I haven't played Portal 2, but I found Portal 1's quirky atmosphere to definitely be part of the reason it was so fun. The game itself was pretty tech demo-ish but I still had a lot of fun and thought they succeeded with what was a pretty original idea at the time. Maybe when I get a new computer in the 20s I'll come back and play Portal 2!

The thing that got me about portal 1 (and half life 2's) was the loading screens and time before getting to the other levels.
You always needed to go into the elevator, and then bam, long loading screen.

It got a bit repetetive at times, too.

I still dont really want to fish out $60 for portal 2 yet. It sounds quite short.

Craigs said:

I have one last question about Cave Johnson.

Is it weird that I get the impression that he's fucking Glados during his lemons rant?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GuMv86Ov7-8

That's certainly the consensus of the internet. It's very possible considering that

Spoiler

she's Caroline, Cave's wife/lover.

Spoiler

She is. They even used the same voice actor for both characters, and they talk about it in the dev commentary. Pretty neat origin story for glados.

Spoiler

EDIT: Way to read Danarchy's post wrong, Pavs.

Anyone still looking for a co-op buddy? All of my friends on Steam either already played with someone else or don't own the game, and the friends I normally game with only like playing on the 360. I wasn't about to pick up a 360 version of a Valve game, especially not with the PS3 getting preferential treatment (well, it would be, if it wasn't for the whole PSN fiasco).

https://steamcommunity.com/id/dragonsbrethren

I had the chance to buy P2 for PC (Twenty Bucks maybe), then I passed it up for two Wii games and a membership to Gamestop Pro where I am automatically entered into a contest to win some big model of one of the P2 robot guys, the fat one I think.

Of course, its not like my PC can handle much more shit anyways... :P

Finished it a few minutes ago, fun stuff all the way through. I tried getting a friend to try Portal for the longest time and he never bothered until he tried the first chapter or so of this game. Now he wants to go back and play the first one.

Overall, I couldn't have asked for much more from a sequel, no complaints at all. Even if there really wasn't a huge storyline for it, the revelations about the old complex and GlaDOS kept it interesting, especially some of the easter eggs:

Spoiler

1. The #2 science award given to Aperture, another nod to Black Mesa
2. The hidden portrait showing both Cave Johnson and Caroline. GlaDOS reacts with familiarity.

Heh, I managed to get the pit boss achievement while screwing around on the last chapter. Seems like Valve puts in a lot of achievements that can only be obtained by just fucking around or being stupid.

Spoiler

You get it by escaping Wheatley's crusher death trap, then going back when he asks you to come back, and then jumping into the pit when he asks you to jump in it