Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
schmerr

What was your first experience with Doom?

Simple, what was your first EVER doom experience?
I remember mine, I was 13 (I'm only 15 now) and I was browsing the internets, when I saw Doom. I remembered my dad having it when I was 5 for the 32X, so I downloaded the demo. After the demo, I pleaded like hell for my dad to get it for me. Now I have Doom 1, Doom 2, Heretic, Hexen, chex quest (ok that was a download), strife, plutonia, and the rest.

My first experience was when I rented the SNES version from a video store, shortly after the SNES port was released. By some way or another--news articles, perhaps?--I'd heard of this "DOOM" before. Making quite a big splash, it seemed, so I figured I ought to try it out.

SNES DOOM starts up automatically, throwing you right into E1M1 on Hurt Me Plenty, so that was my first step into the world of DOOM. Considering that I was pretty much exclusively a console gamer at the time and had extremely limited FPS experience, DOOM was the most immersive game I had ever played.

It also terrified me like no other game ever had. I could barely move DOOMGuy around, I was so scared. It was a visceral, immediate impact.

It was love at first sight. :)

Buying doom 2 shortly after playing the ultimate doom demo, then buying final doom, then getting ultimate doom.
This was all on a G3 Mac back in the day

My first experience was similar to Megamur's. I got scared very easily and I remember having to stop and take breaks before entering certain rooms. One thing in particular was that on the SNES port there were no side or back frames for the monsters so they were always looking at you. And in Warrens when you go through that one teleport, all 3 cacos are just grinning at you waiting to eat your flesh.

An old friend of mine and I were both going through divorces at the same time so he moved in with me until my house sold. A guy put together a Pentium for him and installed Wolfenstein on it. Blew me away. Doom2 had just come out so that's what we went after next. I couldn't believe what I was seeing! Little bit of smoke and the lights down low. Hell yeah. Doomin'!

AgentSpork said:

I was touched inappropriately by an imp.

AgentSpork said:

I was touched inappropriately by an imp.

The feds said it was the other way around. Sicko.

I don't remember much about the circumstances, except:

-It was sometime after 1995.
-I played the shareware episode first, before ordering the full version.
-I didn't have a sound card. (PC speaker galore!)
-I didn't have a mouse.

My first experience was seeing the opening demo with my brother, where the player mowed down heavily pixelated green-haired clown looking guys that made silly noises when they died. I thought it was the coolest thing in the world for some reason.

Lawstiker said:

I was about 4-5 and and my grandfather let me play it on his pc whenever I came to visit.

You're related to GreyGhost?

At first when I saw a Cyber Demon I get sick, sick of scaryness! And now when I see it... Oh wow, a Cyber Demon, you finally showed up?

First time I played doom at my cousins house, doom 2 was new game back then. Their father always had best gaming rig that was avaible back then. There I also experienced red alert 1 first time and with headphones, it was like flying millenium falcon. I remember feeling like Han solo when he is helping Luke destroying the first death star.

When I was a kid, one of those game demo discs came with a game magazine promo magazine.

It had the shareware version of doom in it, which I secretly installed on the family computer.
And then I started looking for more

I was about 4 or 5 years old when I first played Doom. It was on a shovelware disc with a bunch of different shareware games on it. One of them was of course, Doom. So I started it up and played it. And loved every second of it. it was the coolest thing ever, I thought.

My parents didn't think so, though, so I had to play it with the door shut at all times. With people regulary coming in and making me shut the game off. Eventually, though, I was able to convince them to play it on the lowest difficulty level at all times (heh). And then I eventually beat it. And again. And again. And again and again and... eventually found every last secret in the game.

Years later, I got the Doom Collector's Edition and was totally blown away by it. But eventually my interest in Doom died.
In 2008, I re-discovered Doom and all of its mods and maps and source ports and all that shiznit. My mind was once again blown off the roof. My love for Doom had ben renewed and I once again embraced it as the coolest thing ever.
And here I am now. If it wasn't for Doom, I don't think I would be the same person I am now. I would not have discovered a various amount of things that have had serious impacts on me and made me who I am.

TL;DR I found Doom awesome, then not so much, then re-discovered it and found it awesome yet again and yadda yadda yadda it made me who I am yadda yadda yadda very grateful about it yah.

I started out with shareware Doom, an Amiga source port and a computer that really wasn't up to the task.

Technician said:

Oops - my secret's out! Time to put Plan B into operation - KILL EVERYONE!! Nuke the server and pin the blame on IGN.

I was 8 years old. I had the original Doom without the 4th episode. My stepbrother and I played through the game together on 'Hurt Me Plenty'.

I remember seeing a preview for Doom 2 in a magazine before it's initial release and my stepbrother and I were extremely excited.

We had bought Doom 2 and played through the game on Hurt Me Plenty. I then went back to Doom and played through on Ultra Violence with God Mode and did the same with Doom 2.

I found out about Episode 4 and don't remember where I had got "The Ultimate Doom" from, but I ended up playing through Episode 4 on the easiest difficulty.

In 1996 my stepfather had taken my stepbrother and I to EBGames which is now known as Gamestop and picked up a CD called Doomsday which contained a bunch of shitty-custom made Doom maps. I didn't play it as much as my stepbrother, but not long after we were at Best Buy and I found a game called 'Final Doom'.

The artwork for the game blew me away and my stepfather ended up buying the game for me. I spent hours upon hours playing through Final Doom.

Several years later after playing through Doom, Duke Nukem 3D, Redneck Rampage, and other games of similarity I would lose interest in Doom for a period of time until I came across Doom Connector in the early to mid 2000's.

From that point on I've been playing Doom wads and maps ever since as an adult.

The Doom Shareware 1.8 version when I was 13, I only had 2MB RAM and had to play Wolf3D and other games (Blake Stone SW) in the meantime before I got the extra 2 MB.

Doom II I was exposed to from a parents' friend who is into computers in 1994-1995 (now works at Verizon) and I eventually got the game from him (and later from Steam when it was $5).

But before getting Ultimate Doom in '96 or so, my full experience with the other two episodes was on the SNES version and I found a lot of the songs memorable to me.

I occasionally got the blue disk in the lower right upon passing bigger sections of the map.

Well, during the years 2000-2003 or so, while my freinds were playing games like Call of Duty and Medal of Honor Rising Sun and whatever else was out on their PS2's and XBoxs, I had a shitty ass 98 with 1 Gig of memory. When I discovered something called a Library I started looking up stuff, games mostly, and found some Star Wars games, most notable Dark Forces and Jedi Knight. I played those games as much as I could, enjoying every bit of them (Stopped Dark Forces though during Level 3 as the Dianogas scared the hell out of me, later I beat it though). So after a while, I foun the Doom Sharware, and I played through maybe the first three levels. It wasn't the shooting or graphics though that drew me in (Or the fact it was another old game like Dark Forces). it was the blood. WHen I first encountered a pinky in E1M3, and seeing all the blood come out of it, I made it a mission of mine to kill as many of them as I could so I could see more blood. Heh...

However , I lost the sharware and forgot the name of it. 2006 or 2007, Dad got a laptop, and I found it again on Newgrounds where I took it to go ahead and beat the shareware on Hurt Me Plenty. I don't think I had ever been sucked into a game like when I played that. I played that nonstop until I beat it. I found it at school again and set out to beat it on Ultra Violence. Later I foudn the Doom 2 wad and marathoned it with Doom Legacy. I've been stuck with it since.

Technician said:

GreyGhost said:

Oops - my secret's out! Time to put Plan B into operation - KILL EVERYONE!! Nuke the server and pin the blame on IGN.

Wait, I'm related to GreyGhost? When did this happen?

Lawstiker said:

Wait, I'm related to GreyGhost? When did this happen?

His seed has met many continents. Like how 8% of Asian men have Genghis Khan's y chromosome.

I was in fifth grade and out of nowhere got heavily into the FPS genre, starting off correctly, I looked for a free download of doom (assuming its age made it free) and my dad downloaded the demo. I came home after school, played it, loved it. And here I am now, 4-5 years later modding it, playing WADs, and part of the community.

Sometime in 1993... It was on my roomate's 386SX/16, most likely something he downloaded from a BBS. I hadn't heard anything about this game before, and only attempted to run it because the name "DOOM" sounded cool. Apparently he had played it before, because (and I had no clue about all this) the screen resolution was at the smallest possible setting, and yet the SPF (Seconds Per Frame) were still laughable. I just shrugged and went back to playing my Amiga and Sega Genesis games...

It wasn't until months later, when I saw it in action on someone else's 486DX (in all its fullscreen glory and arcade-smooth animation) that I realized my mistake. No other game (not Wolf3D, not Ultima Underworld) had made me swear to buy a PC before that...