Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
skib

Doom 1.WAD copyright?

Apparenty, you can't mod for Doom1.WAD because they want you to have to buy registered version.
But you can't mod an IWAD unless you replace everything!
What is with that?

The only way to "mod an IWAD" is through loading a PWAD. It's right in the name, "Patch WAD".

Ah, anyway, the question is: how come you can't make mods for shareware doom?

Should be obvious, really. The end user license was geared toward people having to buy the full game to play more than the shareware episode.

I think it's because they wanted you to buy the game; if all the third-party WADs were shareware-compatible, nobody would buy the full version. I don't think there are any actual software limitations against making doom1.wad PWADs but rather a honor system after id asked that PWADs should require the full game. Some enforced it by adding dead lost souls into the level, crashing the shareware as lost souls don't exist "yet".

skib said:

Ah, anyway, the question is: how come you can't make mods for shareware doom?

Because if you like Doom enough to want to make or play mods for it, then you like it enough to buy the full version.

hervoheebo said:

I don't think there are any actual software limitations against making doom1.wad PWADs but rather a honor system after id asked that PWADs should require the full game.

There are technical limitations to making a WAD that works with the shareware IWAD - limited textures, not all the monsters and weapons, etc. However, the biggest is an in-built limitation: the -file command line option is disabled when running with the shareware IWAD, it bombs out with a message telling you to buy the registered version.

The restriction is moot now, because Freedoom exists, thus allowing you to play ANY pwad and use ANY utility without having the original game. And you can always download monster/weapon/texture surrogates from realm667.com to replace what is missing or you don't like from Freedoom.

skib said:

Apparenty, you can't mod for Doom1.WAD because they want you to have to buy registered version.

That's right, even though there are several modern source ports and even editors that don't enforce this "rule" anymore, and it's perfectly possible to make doom1.wad-friendly PWADs with tools and engines that are under everyone's nose.

skib said:

But you can't mod an IWAD unless you replace everything!
What is with that?

You probably stumbled upon the limitation of not being able to replace individual flats and sprites in vanilla doom.exe (and 100% bug-compatible ports). That's because of the way they are stored, which requires, as you said, to replace "everything or nothing", even if you change a single frame or flat. This has nothing to do with the shareware version specifically, though, as it affects all Doom-engine games, except source ports that support "sprites in PWADs".

In vanilla Doom, you need to either modify the IWAD, or use a PWAD that contains ALL sprite and flat entries (that's why some old mods include installers which do either one or the other). There are even a few PWADs that pre-include a copy of ALL sprites from the original plus their modifications, and work directly even with doom and doom2.exe, but have a size overhead (and are often illegal).

For maps, sounds, graphics and textures, there's no such limitation.

Gez said:

The only way to "mod an IWAD" is through loading a PWAD. It's right in the name, "Patch WAD".

thats not the whole truth

you can actually change lots of stuff inside an IWAD, BUT renaming it will cause problems for example in DOOM95 engine; modified DOOM1.WAD named DOOM1.WAD works perfect if no lumps are added.

DOOM95 engine
why it reacts on lumps could be obvious, but if you replace a music file with the same original file name, it will react by refusing to start the game.

I've told this story earlier, and if this is hacking, then the deffinition of hacking is Very badly deffined O_o

D_GARG said:

thats not the whole truth

Yes it is.

D_GARG said:

you can actually change lots of stuff inside an IWAD, BUT renaming it will cause problems for example in DOOM95 engine; modified DOOM1.WAD named DOOM1.WAD works perfect if no lumps are added.

Just because you can do something doesn't mean that you should.

What you should do is use a PWAD. Not change an IWAD in any way.

D_GARG said:

DOOM95 engine

Is crap that nobody should use anymore. Seriously, all it has going for it is "native Windows app" and "higher resolution than 320x200", and all source ports offer the same thing.

printz said:

The restriction is moot now, because Freedoom exists, thus allowing you to play ANY pwad and use ANY utility without having the original game. And you can always download monster/weapon/texture surrogates from realm667.com to replace what is missing or you don't like from Freedoom.

Looks like it's pretty ZDoom specific. I guess you can always use the sprites/sounds with other ports though. But some of the monsters, like the Chaos Wyvern for example, have weird lumps that my version of deutex (v4.4.0, the one bundled with xwadtools) doesn't know how to handle:

Warning: Picture CWYVA1: width > 4096 (20617). Skipping picture.
Warning: failed to write sprite CWYVA1

I might use the FemalePlasma from the Female Zombie Pack to replace the Freedoom arachnotron (never liked that one). The Flesh Wizard looks pretty cool too. Was that sprite originally in Freedoom, like it says?

hex11 said:

that my version of deutex (v4.4.0, the one bundled with xwadtools) doesn't know how to handle:

That's what happens if you use outdated tools. A lot of stuff has happened since it was released, including data format extensions.

Gez said:

Yes it is.

Just because you can do something doesn't mean that you should.

What you should do is use a PWAD. Not change an IWAD in any way.

Is crap that nobody should use anymore.

I can fuck up DOOM1.WAD as much as I want but i dont :)

messing with IWADS dosent give anything of use, true.

I like the sound clipping, the graphics/colors and barrel-to-lower-floor bug in DOOM95

but yeah, DOOM95 has past our time

Graf Zahl said:

That's what happens if you use outdated tools. A lot of stuff has happened since it was released, including data format extensions.

That makes sense, but I don't know where to get this new version? In idgames/utils/graphics_edit/deutex there is a wintex50.zip but no source code, and I'm not even sure its source would compile on Unix (or anything not Win32) anyway.

The wiki page doesn't help either:
http://doom.wikia.com/wiki/DeuTex
It just points to Andre Majorel's (the Yadex author) deutex page which has v4.4.0, and another even more outdated page.

If all there exists is windows binary, or unportable source, then those extensions are Win32 specific and should not be considered the official latest version. It'd be like saying ZDoom is latest official Doom port, all others are outdated (because ZDoom can't run on all platforms, due to a proprietary sound library).

Edit: btw, lovin' those Windows 3.x screenshots at
http://www.gamers.org/addons/utils/deutex/
Seriously, the absence of eye candy reminds me of twm, and the widgets are similar to Tk: not fancy, just simple and functional.

hex11 said:

That makes sense, but I don't know where to get this new version? In idgames/utils/graphics_edit/deutex there is a wintex50.zip but no source code, and I'm not even sure its source would compile on Unix (or anything not Win32) anyway.

I think Graf meant that DeuTex is itself outdated. AFAIK, it's not maintained anymore, which is a shame. No wonder it can't handle extensions that ZDoom can.

I'd advise getting SLADE 3 for editing stuff. It does compile on Unix systems.

I'd recommend using r917 from the SVN repository for now; since after that there are pretty major and unfinished changes with changed dependencies and additional libraries which make the compilation instruction on the wiki a bit outdated.

hex11 said:

Looks like it's pretty ZDoom specific. I guess you can always use the sprites/sounds with other ports though. But some of the monsters, like the Chaos Wyvern for example, have weird lumps that my version of deutex (v4.4.0, the one bundled with xwadtools) doesn't know how to handle:

A lot of the resources have sprites or textures in PNG format.

Ah, well that's a bummer, I was really enjoying the deutex shell interface. But thanks for letting me know about slade, I'll use that for anything deutex can't handle.

Actually there are caveats to modification of the shareware IWAD as well. If certain registered lumps are added but not the full set it checks for, one will find the game bombing out with this message:

This is not the registered version.

Quasar said:

Actually there are caveats to modification of the shareware IWAD as well. If certain registered lumps are added but not the full set it checks for, one will find the game bombing out with this message:

it doesnt react on modified maps :) it will probably react on modified map names

hex11 said:

It's not an official release, but Debian mirrors have DeuTex 4.4.902: http://http.us.debian.org/debian/pool/main/d/deutex/ (deutex_4.4.902.orig.tar.gz is at the bottom). Freedoom for example requires this version to be built, earlier ones won't do.

D_GARG said:

it doesnt react on modified maps :) it will probably react on modified map names

Sure, if you open a resource editor and edit the hell out of the shareware IWAD, including slipping missing textures and sprites in, it will work just fine, since there are no post-initializations checks, and the executable is fully capable: the WAD will be interpreted as shareware at first (thus locking episode access), but there won't be any checksumming on its contents a-posteriori. It was a tacit assumption that editing tools should not let this happen, but it's really hard to enforce, and in practice you don't even need to do that: Doombuilder will let you build maps using only the shareware IWAD, and several source ports will also play them.

// Check for -file in shareware
    if (modifiedgame)
    {
	// These are the lumps that will be checked in IWAD,
	// if any one is not present, execution will be aborted.
	char name[23][8]=
	{
	    "e2m1","e2m2","e2m3","e2m4","e2m5","e2m6","e2m7","e2m8","e2m9",
	    "e3m1","e3m3","e3m3","e3m4","e3m5","e3m6","e3m7","e3m8","e3m9",
	    "dphoof","bfgga0","heada1","cybra1","spida1d1"
	};
	int i;

if ( gamemode == shareware)
	    I_Error("\nYou cannot -file with the shareware "
		    "version. Register!");

// Check for fake IWAD with right name,
	// but w/o all the lumps of the registered version. 
	if (gamemode == registered)
	    for (i = 0;i < 23; i++)
		if (W_CheckNumForName(name[i])<0)
		    I_Error("\nThis is not the registered version.");
    }

These shareware checks are more annoying than useful these days. Prime example:

http://www.chocolate-doom.org/wiki/index.php/Doomsday_of_UAC

Using those exact parameters with the Freedoom IWAD, you get this:

W_Init: Init WADfiles.
 adding doom.wad
 adding uac_dead.wad

It starts okay without the -gameversion option, but then the special sector tag 666 doesn't work.

I'm guessing it's a Freedoom problem, not a chocolate-doom problem, since everything works fine with the real Ultimate Doom IWAD. But the shareware check has no real purpose anymore. Anybody who wants to use the real IWAD can buy it for real cheap, or warez it, or download a "full registered demo" from that Mac Doom site.

Edit: Oh, and I'm not saying chocodoom should remove the check, because then it wouldn't emulate vanilla exactly anymore.

Yeah, I just checked with lswad, and the Freedoom IWAD is missing these lumps:
"dphoof","spida1d1"

hex11 said:

These shareware checks are more annoying than useful these days. Prime example:

http://www.chocolate-doom.org/wiki/index.php/Doomsday_of_UAC

Using those exact parameters with the Freedoom IWAD, you get this:

W_Init: Init WADfiles.
 adding doom.wad
 adding uac_dead.wad

Edit: Oh, and I'm not saying chocodoom should remove the check, because then it wouldn't emulate vanilla exactly anymore.

Yes and I told the Freedoom guys before that they ought to fix that.

Gez said:

[Doom95] Is crap that nobody should use anymore. Seriously, all it has going for it is "native Windows app" and "higher resolution than 320x200", and all source ports offer the same thing.

I still use it... When I don't want to use ZDoom... Of course, I suppose I only use it on older computers, when I install Collector's Doom on them...