Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
dannebubinga

Creating sound fx lump?

Hi.

I got inspired by map 30 of Alien Vendetta, where they have replaced the commander keen death sound with another sound.

The thing is that I can't figure out which soundfile types are supported in Doom. Importing .wav in slumped won't work. I imported the file between ss_start and ss_end, but slumped recognized it as a text file. So, which filetype should I work with?

Tell me if I have to be more specific. Thanks!

I think it has to be 22050khz 8-bit mono. Last I tried to change a sound, I had to use XWE, I couldn't manage it with SlumpEd.

dannebubinga said:

The thing is that I can't figure out which soundfile types are supported in Doom.

Depends on the port.

Natively, Doom uses a proprietary format, which I guess could be called DMX format. It's pretty much just raw PCM data with a tiny header. 8-bit mono only. However, you can have arbitrary sample rates; most sounds in the IWAD are at 22050 Hz but some are at 44100 Hz and work just as well.

dannebubinga said:

Importing .wav in slumped won't work. I imported the file between ss_start and ss_end, but slumped recognized it as a text file.

Slumped doesn't recognize it as a text file. Slumped merely defaults to the text editor for any lump type it does not recognize. ;)

SLADE 3 is much better in that respect.

Ok, thanks for the info.

I'm mapping in boom format so I want the sound to work on all boom-compatible sourceports. I know mp3 format works in gzdoom, but that is like I said out of the question since I want this to work in prboom+.

I want to use a sample I have recorded of a person talking. So, are there any known ways to record in the Doom-supported format? Or are there any converters out there? I'm totally lost.

You'll have to use something like Audacity to convert the sound to 8-bit mono PCM .wav. Then you can convert it to DMX format with SLADE 3 or other.

I think PrBoom+ does support MP3, by the way (I think longdays.wad uses an MP3 soundtrack), but that may be only for music.