Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Katamori

What are you playing now?

Cyanosis said:

Mike Reed's stuff combined into one WAD.

You merged those yourself?

I'm a big fan of his stuff... Great concepts/architecture and lots of good fights!

Just passed the slightly more than halfway mark of MAP32 of Memento Mori 2. Both secret levels were nice breaks after the beatdowns of MAP13-15. I'm not feeling quite so much love for MM2 as MM, but there's still some stuff that greatly amuses me, like the headstone in MAP04 (Rattamahatta) or that trick door in MAP07 (Frustration). I don't like that the SSG in MAP06 (Trapped) was secret, and incredibly hidden; having it transforms the level from an exercise in frustration into a fairly fun level.

Of the last three "hard" maps I've played, I like MAP13 (Devil's Paradise) the least, on account of a few tricky sequences, though once you clear the roundabout it's pretty much done. Of MAP14 (A Question of Time) and MAP15 (The Devil's Coterie), I think I prefer the traps and architecture of MAP14 while for pure balls-out fights I like MAP15. Looking forward to the second half of this WAD, especially if the difficulty is anything similar.

Actually I found a copy that was merged by "Jive" with a DEH setup to work with Legacy. But it works just fine in ZDoom.

Cyanosis said:

Actually I found a copy that was merged by "Jive" with a DEH setup to work with Legacy. But it works just fine in ZDoom.

I found a site that seems to have this:
http://doomwadstation.com/dlw/Doom2_3.html
http://doomwadstation.com/dlw/Doom/M_Reed_Stuff.txt

But it gives a permissions error when you try to download (not just the Mike Reed compilation, but other stuff on that site also).

I'll just make my own compilation with deutex, it's easy enough.

After going through Memento Mori, Memento Mori 2, Hell Revealed, and Hell Revealed 2, I'm now playing Eternal Doom.

It's funny that, when I was younger, I wouldn't play through entire megawads. I was solely interested in what map 30 was like and just IDCLEV my way to it. Heh.

Going back now and playing through entire megawads, it's definitely satisfying, especially right now regarding Eternal Doom (just started level 5). To me at least, Eternal Doom feels more like what Doom 3 should have been like. Large, open spaces, nice architecture, balanced (to me anyway) gameplay and tough, but fair monster placement. It has an epic feeling that I really enjoy, that I can easily immerse myself into.

Too bad some of the maps have so fucking illogical puzzles it's not funny. Map 03 is especially annoying, and I haven't even been able to complete Map 31 since that red card I found I can't find its door or switch anywhere.

I do agree, however, that Eternall Doom has a very nice setting to it, especially considering that wad is 15 years old.

I always get to the second level then rage quit, once I got to the third level then rage quitted that as well. I totally agree with you Doomhuntress. It kills the flow completely when you don't even know what to do next. :?

I doubt anyone has ever done a complete playthrough through all eternal maps.

I beat Eternal Doom once, from beginning to end. Yes, some of the puzzles are insanely hard, and when I first started playing DOOM, that's all it took to get me to hate the whole WAD. Nowadays, though, I think puzzles are kind of a dying art in DOOM maps, so I learned to rather enjoy Eternal.

Eternal IV, on the other hand, is pure garbage. Yes, the maps are very big, but "big" doesn't automatically equal "good." It's mostly just a series of gigantic hallways with no clear idea of where to go, and even when you do know where to go, navigating said gigantic hallways is an unbelievable chore. This is one WAD that actually could really use regen health, because running around to find a random stimpack you passed earlier has never made me feel like breaking down and weeping as much as in Eternal IV.

Anyhow, I just got finished playing Cold Steel for Doomworld review purposes. Sorry, folks. Like it or not, I'm going to keep writing those reviews! :)

I think at some point I'll get around to Eternal DooM, I just lose patience and get a migraine when I don't know where to go. I'll probably hate it the first time around, but I'll make the playthrough knowing that I'll enjoy it the second time around when I know where everything is. I also like puzzles, but ehhhhhh, I don't like puzzles like "find the hidden switch". :P

Espi's map in Eternal DooM IV was pretty good when I tried it, it was also a good example of how to make slopes look like they belong in DooM. The other maps I played off Eternal DooM IV felt pretty crappy to me as well, you'd enter a huuuuuuge room only to find it had 2 imps in it. Meh, overrall I'd still have more fun firing up Icarus or MM though.

DeathevokatioN said:

Meh, overrall I'd still have more fun firing up Icarus or MM though.

This is always the correct course of action.

Once you get the idea of a map, it's actually fun to speedrun and in case a demo is done, it looks bizzare, mind-blowing. That's one major plus for eternal from me. I don't really know why, but I also like those monsters in void / stuck in wall / stuck in each other, hitscanners attacking through invisible walls, tough monsters (cybies especially) placed in ridiculous places, around 10 secret sectors out of which you trigger 8 without even realising it... well I could go on but you get what I mean. :)

Blah. Still tooling around in Legacy trying to get things to work the way they're supposed to. I downloaded this thing that's supposed to turn brown shrubs into nightmare imps, then tried to find levels with brown shrubs. I ran into some nightmare imps in #avenger.wad and final4.wad, but when I tried running the .deh in plain vanilla Doom II, I discovered it was really only turning SS guys into nightmare imps. CURSES! I'm also trying to figure out why maps won't load in Legacy 1.44. Double-CURSES!!

Megamur said:
I beat Eternal Doom once, from beginning to end. Yes, some of the puzzles are insanely hard, and when I first started playing DOOM, that's all it took to get me to hate the whole WAD. Nowadays, though, I think puzzles are kind of a dying art in DOOM maps, so I learned to rather enjoy Eternal.

Eternal IV, on the other hand, is pure garbage. Yes, the maps are very big, but "big" doesn't automatically equal "good." It's mostly just a series of gigantic hallways with no clear idea of where to go, and even when you do know where to go, navigating said gigantic hallways is an unbelievable chore. This is one WAD that actually could really use regen health, because running around to find a random stimpack you passed earlier has never made me feel like breaking down and weeping as much as in Eternal IV.

Exactly my feelings. I thought that it must be me at first, the fact that I found Eternal Doom IV a huge bore. Come on, I said, this is from the team that brought you one of your favorite wads, Eternal Doom III, keep playing, you must be missing something. I gave up in the end, hated the damn thing, and I'm cheered to see that I'm not alone in this. Never been more disappointed in a wad in my Doom life.

I was even more surprised by the amount of praise it got on DW's /idgames mirror. 4 out of 5 stars overall. I guess people just saw the hugeness and detail and automatically assumed it was great. It's honestly nothing like its predecessors, however, and really doesn't deserve the name.

Megamur said:

I was even more surprised by the amount of praise it got on DW's /idgames mirror. 4 out of 5 stars overall. I guess people just saw the hugeness and detail and automatically assumed it was great. It's honestly nothing like its predecessors, however, and really doesn't deserve the name.

I've played Eternal Doom 4 and its one of my favourite wads, all of the maps look great and are epic in size and scale but at the same time quite challenging, sometimes I wasn't sure where to go but after looking around a bit I found the answer, if they released a megawad consisiting of 32 maps of the same quality as the 4 or 5 in ET4 then it would easily be the best wad IMO, the feel of the levels was perfect and it really drew me in and captivated me. The Shrine particularly was a masterpiece and I doubt we'll see anything of its like again or at least not any time soon. I didn't vote on idgames when I first played it but I'm going to give it 5 out of 5 now.

Espi's The Shrine is the only thing you need to play of Eternal Doom IV, really. That map is an absolute masterpiece in every way possible.

Speaking of Eternal Doom, trying yet again to play through the damn thing. It's not bad or anything, but it's so HUGE. I'm constantly getting exhausted trying to play through the damn thing.

Finished Plutonia Revisited yesterday, I'm now playing my own megawad Doom Core for the first time from beginning to end.

I'm jumping back and forth between Doom Core and Jenesis 2. Thinking of maybe dropping down to HMP in Doom Core, I'm on the fourth level and already having problems.

Was playing 1fifwar3 again. It's completely stupid and brainless. Still, it's short and fairly easy but with a lot of action, so it's enjoyable for when you want to kill a LOT of monsters without having to work too hard.

I was playing it in PrBoom-plus with -complevel 0 and I think I got an intercepts overflow. All the monsters stopped shooting and could go through walls, and I couldn't hit them or open doors anymore. I think that's intercepts overflow.

After way too many years, finally giving Fava Beans a try. The maps are a little on the small side, but otherwise, it seems like a pretty excellent E1 replacement so far, especially considering how old it is.

Sadly, LIVER.WAD and CHIANTI.WAD are nowhere to be found.

Megamur said:

After way too many years, finally giving Fava Beans a try. The maps are a little on the small side, but otherwise, it seems like a pretty excellent E1 replacement so far, especially considering how old it is.

Sadly, LIVER.WAD and CHIANTI.WAD are nowhere to be found.

I smell a potential project!

I really liked the layout of the Fava Beans maps but I noticed the same specific group of monsters appearing in monster closets over and over again. E1M9 felt like a retooled DM map, still kind of fun. E1M8 was a bit of a letdown.

It could be a whole three-episode trilogy: "Fava Beans," "His Liver" and "A Nice Chianti." :)

E1M9 was very peculiar, yes. I searched it up and down, expecting more. I haven't seen E1M8 yet.

Wow, E1M8 was terrible. Two rooms, two Barons. If you found the BFG, instant win. What a shame. Two crappy levels aside, pretty sweet E1 replacement overall.

Tried to give DOOM: The Mars Missions (a.k.a., MarsDoom) a spin, but man, what a pain. The WAD reminds me of the original Half-Life in a bad way, in how you have to do everything in a very specific way or else you're dead. Once I got taken out by the invisible insta-kill crusher pit that looked like a completely innocuous part of the ground, I'd had it. Screw this.

Currently playing The Hells Grammar School Project. I know it's just a jokeWAD, so it's a bit meh, but not terrible or anything. I got killed by the Hellsmith, or whatever it's called, though, partly because all the attack spam slows down my computer when playing on GZDoom.

dannebubinga said:

I'm at map 10 on New Gothic. Loving every second of it.. gameplay-wise. I would recommend anyone to play it!

vouch :))

AB can do maps with lotsa monsters in really outstanding ways

Beat Hells Grammar School. Yuo can "break" several of the boss fights fairly easily. Only the final one causes any trouble, and even that can be overcome by maneuvering the AI into a position where it gets stuck. What a strange WAD.

Megamur said:

Wow, E1M8 was terrible. Two rooms, two Barons. If you found the BFG, instant win. What a shame. Two crappy levels aside, pretty sweet E1 replacement overall.

Yeah. It beats e1m8 of the lost episodes of doom, at least.

Currently slogging through the final levels of Memento Mori 2. Some of these are fucking hard, but I love them all. Currently on MAP23, I think. "No way out." I've taken a couple whacks at the pain elemental room, one with and one without the BFG. I'll get it tomorrow, though. I don't mind all the sewer levels, they're pretty well done. The only level I have outright disliked is Alden Bates' "The Experiment", for having one of the most annoying level layouts in recent experience. He had some neat ideas in there, though, like the instant elevator that acts like a jump pad.

kmxexii said:

It beats e1m8 of the lost episodes of doom, at least.

Isn't basically the entirety of the Lost Episodes terrible?