Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
didierbertrand

Failed demo attempts

didierbertrand said: (in the Misc TAS thread)
The begining of the end part 1
e1m2 nm100 in 04:44

I think you "should" try it again with the chaingun secret first. I think I am pretty bad player in skill 5, yet with this route I got all 3 keys four times without serious trouble. Here's the most promising try (blue armor @50% health). Recorded w/PrB+ 2508 -complevel 3

I will also try it, but for the next couple of days I'll have no time at all I think.

edit: please move to "failed attempt demos", my mistake

e1n2yk4.zip

Another "almost" C-N record by me... MM MAP27 UV Speed this time.

For how it should look like, see Heretic's TAS Movie.

I got the double AV jump on my 30th try or so... very, very early. Should reach the exit while still being invulnerable, but just in case, I had enough health to survive one AV blast / revenant rocket. Still I managed to screw this up :) Dare to say it was clooooose. Oh yes, another 500 tries and I couldn't make the AV jump any more.

mm27fail.zip

An attempt at Alien Vendetta, MAP28 with -fast monsters. Demo length: 20:44. Monsters: 232 killed, 72 left. Recorded with PrBoom+ 2.5.0.8 with -complevel 2, so should playback with vanilla.

The demo itself is very slow and rather uninteresting, maybe for Revved... This is what I think in general:

Every single area is very beatable, the problem is not to die in one continuous run. First cyber: run past it, when you return have much health (200/100 is preferable), so you may survive getting hit by a rocket when you teleport back. Second cyber: not much of a problem. Third cyber: this is the hardest one, I think, thanks to that bloody chaingunners which miss their shots, hit the cyber and awaken him (this is where I died). Fourth cyber: should be easier on UV-Fast than in UV-Max. I think I'll make it sooner or later, but I wouldn't mind anyone else trying it :) Also, maybe some ideas for the third cyber to kill him in a consistent, safe way?

af28fail.zip

vdgg said:

An attempt at Alien Vendetta, MAP28 with -fast monsters. Demo length: 20:44. Monsters: 232 killed, 72 left. Recorded with PrBoom+ 2.5.0.8 with -complevel 2, so should playback with vanilla.

The demo itself is very slow and rather uninteresting, maybe for Revved... This is what I think in general:

Every single area is very beatable, the problem is not to die in one continuous run. First cyber: run past it, when you return have much health (200/100 is preferable), so you may survive getting hit by a rocket when you teleport back. Second cyber: not much of a problem. Third cyber: this is the hardest one, I think, thanks to that bloody chaingunners which miss their shots, hit the cyber and awaken him (this is where I died). Fourth cyber: should be easier on UV-Fast than in UV-Max. I think I'll make it sooner or later, but I wouldn't mind anyone else trying it :) Also, maybe some ideas for the third cyber to kill him in a consistent, safe way?

Damn, I was just working on the same map today! I didn't get as far in recording as you, but it still managed to be faster due to me using pretty much the straight max route with a few changes such as running past the 4 chaingunners in the beginning like you did.

For this, I combat with a failed attempt at Alien Vendetta Map 26
with -fast monsters. Demo length: 20:46 (the irony) Monsters: 770 killed, 194 left. As you can see, it is very much beatable, as such with the ending. I just mucked up one part with the arch-viles and ended up getting killed as well as not taking safe caution with the revenant hordes.

af26fail.zip

This shows one of my failed run of Community Chest3. In this demo I
done this map very poorly, lots of silly mistakes as well as poor use of weapons.

I was low of plasma cells at the double archvile hall, and also very low health. I manage to beat though it, and
then when I was outside, a cacodemon kills me............

Valid run is on DSDA now with 13:28.

cc3 26fail.zip

My best attempt at AV01... Now I understand why Anders Johnsen is a doomgod. He says that his 1:07 is a "20 mins effort class demo". That's just unbelievable.

av01-106-97kills.zip

Still, I'm sure that you can do a sub-1:07 run with 100% kills. Your exact time was 1:06.17, and you exited with only one monster left, as "97%" is actually a rounded 47/48.

Beating a record is one thing, but coming up with demos none can beat in years within 20 minutes... That's kind of feeling I got with beating few of Oku's sunder runs I've done, they may be faster, but damnit he had them within a day or two, for me it was a week or two.

Well, I'm still working on it, but it will take a while. Most of the time I run out of ammo in the last room. It is hard to aim at spectres. Also I hate that secret passage to the soulsphere, it is too narrow.
But the result will be satisfying. :)

Holy shit, I just gave a random attempt using this route of map8 of hr2 and managed 3:16 just without any forerouting. I suspect around 2:20-2:30 is possible like this. (Don't up to DSDA, I'll have faster run someday)

hr208-fail.zip

This shows one of my failed playthough of Plutonia Experiment map28.

I killed myself with the rocket launcher when shooting at the mancubus hordes, and that rocket should not be hitting the wall. It's really a stupid mistake lol.

pl28-fail.zip

an attempt at vile flesh map03 nm run. a taste of xit vono's style for me, heh. i have zero ideas how to beat the exit room.

vf03nxxx.zip

Lunatic map 04 failed max

I die from the very last monster left on the map, after wasting time searching for him. This would have been my first exit (ever). Expect a max demo from me tomorrow probably, lost motivation for now.

Definitely a different kind of map than what I usually record on.

lu04-fail.zip

yeah, this is a valid max, and yeah, it's faster than current record, but the end (me looking for monsters playing hide&seek) makes me call this a failed attempt. I had to post this somewhere, i worked so much to get this. I'll improve it, not today
It's dv map02

dv02.zip

Three failed attempts (out of many) to do Icarus map22 stroller-style using the fast no-keys route (my previous stroller used an older route).

The idea I used in these attempts, of opening the caco door rather than the archie door (the two doors open together), could probably be used to improve the regular UV Speed/Pacifist time, as it gives you more control over when the archie sees you.

ic22sfai.zip