Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
rabidrage

Real.wad dehacked file crashing Legacy

Alrighty then. A few years ago I tried this awesome wad called "Real", which has several jungle levels, lots of new graphics and sounds and is really freaking awesome. Anybody familiar with it? Anyway, I've got Legacy again and I'm trying to play Real, but the dehacked file keeps crashing the program before it starts up! Why would it do that? It worked in Legacy before. I don't get it. PLEEEEEASE help me. I'll be nice and share the 3DO music wad I'm making...not that anyone here couldn't make one themselves, but hey, I'll do the grunt work for ya instead. :)

I hate to be a downer but not very many people use Legacy any more, it hasn't been under anything I'd describe as active development for a long time, and nobody except people who have actually coded on the port could probably tell you why it crashes in any particular circumstance.

You'd be better off trying to play it in GZDoom probably, which attempts to have Legacy compatibility (I say attempt because I dunno how good its Legacy compatibility is in general; IIRC it was aimed at supporting certain well-known mods).

.If this is this real.wad, then it'd work with any limit-removing port I guess. It's certainly not Legacy-specific:

This is my first serious(?) WAD. It started a long time ago (1998), when I decided to make something more serious than TsotsoFX (Which got a rather "funny" review at doomworld ;) I started with Deu, with a theme of a base inside a rocks and caves, the player starting from a cave with dead human bodies and destroyed walls. Then I had to remove some ugly detail which also caused a visplane error and much later I continued the project with Doom Builder.

Well, now this thing doesn't even load with the old engine of Doom, however I use Zdoom anymore, so I didn't even bothered to search what it is.

It should work with Doomsday, Eternity, PrBoom+, ZDoom and just about whatever isn't too full of bugs.

As far as I know, Legacy is currently in an alpha version, so if you have problems with it, report them to the developers (well, developer since I think it's just Wesley Johnson now).

That's disappointing. I mean, I understand. But Legacy is probably my favorite, though Doomsday is an extremely close second. Legacy 1.44 did come out fairly recently and 2.0 sounds amazing...if it ever does get done. It seems like it has the perfect balance of compatibility and appearance, since that seems to be the trade-off between ports. I'll give it a try in Doomsday as soon as I figure out why dehacked files crash snowberry...

Which version have you installed? How are you loading this DEH patch in Snowberry?

I've got several dozen DEH patches installed and selectable as addons and it works just fine for me.

Well, it's Snowberry version 1.0 and should be the latest version of Doomsday (last I checked)...I put the files in the folder C:\program files\doomsday\snowberry\addons. Then I check them and start playing, and they don't work. One of them actually crashed snowberry before I could even open it.

I've just downloaded the mod from the link given by Gez and it doesn't actually contain any DEH patches, not even as lumps in the WAD.

Can you provide a link to someplace where I might download a copy of the mod you are having trouble with?

Edit: Thanks Grazza. I've just tried this mod myself in the current 1.9.0-beta6.9 release and it loaded just fine. Are you unpacking it manually? In general you don't need to do that with Doomsday, you can simply put real.zip in the addon folder, enable it and then click play.

Oh, hm. When I say I'm using the latest one I mean the latest alpha, so 1.8.6. Does that work the same way? When I downloaded the beta from the Doomsday site before I didn't know what to do with the files...this was a while ago, so maybe it changed, but I remember there wasn't an .exe or anything.

Now which addons folder would I want it in? When I installed Doomsday it created two addon folders in the snowberry folder, one with a capital A and the other without, and then there's a third one: snowberry/.snowberry/addons.

Thanks for the help so far, by the way.

Okay, also--when it does detect a dehacked file...here's what it tells me.

NameError: global name 'DEHAddon' is not defined

Among other bits of text, of course.

rabidrage said:

Oh, hm. When I say I'm using the latest one I mean the latest alpha, so 1.8.6.

That's the latest stable version. Alpha/beta are for in-progress development versions, which are currently the 1.9 branch.

The real.wad Graza linked to seems to load fine in Doomsday 1.8.6 and beta 6.9 for me. Beta 6.9 does have a little bug in intrepeting certain things in Dehacked, but nothing that stops it actually loading Dehacked lump or deh.

Your comment about multiple addon folders suggests you made a mistake in installing Beta 6.9 (since you mention Snowberry I assume that's the version you have; 1.8.6 doesn't come with Snowberry).

Yeah, I just got the new beta and it's a hell of a lot more awesome in general. All of the 3D models actually work now instead of just some of them like in 1.8.6. However, it still seems to be largely ignoring the dehacked stuff I try to load. There's only one addon folder now and Snowberry clearly recognizes dehacked lumps and puts them into their own category. I check them and try to play with them and...nothing. BFG3500.deh, for example--should speed up the BFG's rate of fire and jack up your plasma ammo, but no effect. Darkimp.deh should make the imps a lot tougher, but...nada.

@rabidrage It sounds to me like you have installed multiple versions of Doomsday over the top of one another. That error message generally only occurs when a newer version of Snowberry is trying to load the modules of an earlier version.

Without knowing the exact versions involved I can only suggest that you uninstall everything (including deleting any folders in your user home directory (e.g., c:/users/<username>/Documents/Doomsday Frontend)) and re-install a new copy.

In general the beta releases made thus far cannot be installed over a previous version of the engine.

Edit: Look for a file named doomsday.out in your runtime folder (under Windows7 this is generally to be found at C:/Users/<username>/Documents/Doomsday Frontend/runtime) and open it up in notepad or something. You should see listed there all the files that you attempted to load in your previous play session and any issues should be logged therein.

The error message has stopped coming up since I installed the new beta. Should I still go through and try to get rid of everything? From what I've already seen, Doomsday isn't installed in the classic sense--i.e. you pull up the program list in control panels and it's not there.

Okay, wait, the beta is actually installed, but that's literally all that is. 1.8.6 never appeared in my actual program list, but this one does.

It should be listed in the control panel's Add and Remove Programs applet. It is for me, anyway. Did you use the installer?

I would go through the re-install in any case to be sure you've weeded out any problems caused by leftover files from earlier installs.