Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Katamori

"I sawed the demons" - the funniest music of Doom?

Recent days I've heard Doom E2M1 music, "I sawed the demons" again. And I love it! Although "Sign of Evil" is my eternal favourite music of Doom, the E2M1 song is so "happy"! Sometimes when I listen this, I feel this music might be in an action comedy (like films starring Jet Li/Jackie Chan/Martin Lawrence)

To sum up, E2M1 song is very good because adds a bit happy feeling to this dark and evil feeling which Doom gives to you.

What's your opinion?

I personally don't like it at all and don't think it fits in a game like Doom. The "happy" feeling you desribe it has ruins the mood. And it sounds in general pretty bad.

D_E2M1 is one of my favourite Doom musics, perhaps exactly because it's so "happy" and fast paced, and it fits E2M1 itself so perfectly, especially during speedruns.

E2M1 itself is quite a strange level which IMO doesn't really fit very well into Episode 2, as it looks more like an Episode 3 level, although cleaner looking, and with a height variation/illusion that doesn't exist in other official Doom levels. But I'm digressing.

In any case, E2M1 deserves having its special music. It kinda reminds me of Eversion in that an apparently clean and bright level with "cute" music actually has some nasty traps and disturbing details, which give off an impending sense of Doom -pardon the pun-: it's the first occurence of pentagram teleporters if you exclude the E1M8 ending, that inverted, damaging cross, damaging shotgun pickup, that dark plasma secret, those platforms that sink into blood, that weird balcony...

I'll concede that when using PWADs however, they will very often be too different than E2M1 (more 'normal' if you prefer), and just about any other typical Doom theme you can think of wouldn't fit the music (or viceversa).

It's actually this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2KM-_zpCno I can't really call D_E2M1 happy or ugh, cute. It sounds quite panicky compared to the linked song actually.

Maes said:

E2M1 itself is quite a strange level which IMO doesn't really fit very well into Episode 2, as it looks more like an Episode 3 level, although cleaner looking, and with a height variation/illusion that doesn't exist in other official Doom levels. But I'm digressing.

Actually, to me E2M1 looks like a dig site on Deimos, like how E1M8 looks odd for Episode 1. Compare E2M1 to the first level of Doom 3: RoE which is also a dig site containing something anomalous.

I like it. It's like the marine just got off leave (R&R) and can't wait to kick some demon ass! So it works pretty good in the first level of E2.

I think it's great that Doom has a variety of tunes, instead of just metal and creepy stuff. I'm especially fond of the relaxing E1M2 and MAP02 tracks, as well as the slightly melancholic and beautiful MAP20.

Some of the tracks are spot-on for the map they're attached to. I'm thinking of E2M2 and E2M4 in particular. Bobby Prince's music adds another dimension to an already great game.

It isn't the best tune by far, but it sure is perfect for kicking up the adrenaline another notch when you start to play it. I also love the tune E2M2 and E2M4, as well ofcourse as E3M4 / E1M8 which is pure and simply jaw dropping.

It's a good rock tune and all, but I first played E2M1 on the SNES and the only song I can imagine on that level is "Hiding the Secrets."

I think it was a good song to kick off episode 2, just like e1m1's and e3m1's adrenaline filled tunes were a good way to start off their respective episodes. Really I feel like episode 4 is the odd one out of the bunch, but it uses recycled music so what can you do.

I don't think it's all that funniest and happiest music in doom, to me E2M3's music is even happier. And yep, I do like E2M2's music, the creepy music leds you fear of the crates maze.

Daiyu_Xiaoxiang said:

I don't think it's all that funniest and happiest music in doom, to me E2M3's music is even happier.

E2M3 is the same as the intermission music, isn't?
I dont think that music funny or happy.

I agree that "I sawed the demons" isn't as dark as the other tracks in the game, but "Hiding the Secrets" is even happier IMO.

One thing I like about E2 is that it seems the levels get more dark and hellish as you progress. E2M1 is pretty upbeat, E2M2 and E2M3 have more hellish elements, E2M4 is really creepy and is even more hellish, and E2M5, E2M6, and E2M8 seem more like hell than techbase (E2M7 sort of breaks the flow.)

Processingcontrol said:

(E2M7 sort of breaks the flow.)

To me, E2M7 kinda feels like the quiet before the storm. Even the light level in the outside areas reminds of an incoming storm. It has a pretty cool build-up before the cyberdemon fight.

E2M6 still looks like a space base. The main corridor with DOOR1 doors reminds me of Star Wars somehow. The dark maze is like a haunted techbase and is very challenging in Nightmare -- I usually end up joining the lost souls when I enter there.

Processingcontrol said:

but "Hiding the Secrets" is even happier IMO.

I think that it's not happy but loud and annoying. I always turn off the music when the level uses it.

Does any level of E2 "fit" into the episode? I've always felt that they're all unique and that the episode hardly has a coherent theme (other than "partially subverted base).

hervoheebo said:

Does any level of E2 "fit" into the episode? I've always felt that they're all unique and that the episode hardly has a coherent theme (other than "partially subverted base).

Look, when id made Episode 2, it meant a challange for them. Because E2 is an intermission between the tech levels (E1) and Hell (E3) and as I saw, there's very hard to make an intermission of them without mistakes.

And if youthink about this and watch E2 levels, all of them looks good. I don't know this episode as well az E3 but according to my experiences, E2M4: Deimos Lab is the best.

Maes said:

Well, it's an anomaly. E1M8 doesn't really fit very well into Episode 1 either, if you don't look at it as an endgame boss level.

hex11 said:

I like it. It's like the marine just got off leave (R&R) and can't wait to kick some demon ass! So it works pretty good in the first level of E2.

Got off leave, or rather just realized "holy shit I'm still alive" after the Phobos Anomaly teleporter.

(Sometimes I've played E1M8 and E2M1 "in sequence" with a modified MAPINFO. It's hard at the beginning when you have less than 10 health and face plenty of hitscanners, but that's more than made up for by the increased arsenal over a pistol start.)

I think it's the midi sounds that make the track seem "happy". If you played that track with guitars and drums it would sound like a slightly technical/progressive metal act doing a driving, pump-up song. The link below sounds kinda like what I had in mind; I think it crushes!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXoZxOIcO8E

Marnetmar said:

It sounded even more similar when Doom wasn't released yet:

Holy cow, that's too uncanny-valley. I'd rather listen to actual "Big Gun" or the final D_E2M1 than to that...

RightField said:

It would sound like AC/DC. Not very technical at all...

I don't really think the link I posted sounds anything like AC/DC, bud.

If you're interpreting e2m1 and e2m3 as "happy," your sense of musical interpretation needs to reexamining. Not that they're particularly dark or scary, but these aren't Jump by Van Halen. "Happy" wouldn't even remotely be a word I'd choose.

By the way, posters in this thread should be congratulated because this is likely the thread with the most instances of the word "happy" in quotation marks on Doomworld.

The music for MAP01 in Mock2 isn't just the funniest music ever featured in a Doom wad, but perhaps the funniest music ever created in history.

I was actually playing through E2M1 on Nightmare today. I thought that the soundtrack for this level was pretty good, and while it has a more upbeat mood it still fits well with Doom.