Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Maes

Mocha Doom Tech Demo v1.31 (demo support)

A minor, yet technically important update.

I rewrote the README.TXT file so that it's actually a bit more informational to new users this time, and here are the most important changes (from the README):

Fixes since v1.3:

• Vanilla Doom compatible demo playback and recording now operational but is still a bit glitchy. External demo files will only play with -timedemo.
  • Added the ability to load a precomputed transparency map from a TRANMAP lump or from a tranmap.dat file in current directory.
  • Will generate a precomputed tranmap.dat file locally if possible, for improved loading speed.
Yes, you read that right. Demo playback. It will now be less of a bore to sit and watch through the menus, although the syncing is
not always perfect. In Ultimate Doom, all demos except E2M2 and E3M5 will desync sooner or later, and I was actually surprised to see that at least one worked at all, let alone two of them.

In addition to playing them, you can also record demos with the usual command line syntax. The format used is vanilla v1.9 compatible (read & write) and the demo recording system is completely rewritten to be OO and support multiple different input/output demo formats with ease. Vanilla Doom will play some of the demos recorded with Mocha Doom, but
will also desync sooner or later, especially if your window loses focus during recording.

Finally, the pre-computed TRANMAP will make loading (with the parallel renderer) significantly faster.

NOTE: external demos supplied in lumps will only play with -timedemo.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/mochadoom/files/mochadoom-techdemo-131.zip/download

Have fun ;-)

Personally I would've just posted this in the v1.3 thread you already made, but hey whatever. :P

Anyways, that's cool you got demos to work! However it'll just keep playing the same first level on each set of demos, but I guess you're still working on that. Also I've noticed that when I first start it up, I can't get to the menu by pressing Esc and I have to click the mouse first to get it up, just a little bug I noticed.
And I'd STILL like to get some speed throttling in here, maybe you could make it a separate option somehow or something.

Still, keep up the good work dude! ;)

Triple_sSs said:

Anyways, that's cool you got demos to work! However it'll just keep playing the same first level on each set of demos, but I guess you're still working on that.

Hmm that's weird, what IWAD are you using? With the Ultimate Doom IWAD, it played through E1M5 (glitchy), E2M2 (seems OK) and E3M5 (seems OK). With Doom 2 v1.9, it plays all of the demos, but none correctly. With the shareware IWAD I think it keeps playing E1M5 all the time, if that's what you mean. I don't even remember if it's supposed to have different demos but, as you said, I will look into it.

Triple_sSs said:

Also I've noticed that when I first start it up, I ca+n't get to the menu by pressing Esc and I have to click the mouse first to get it up, just a little bug I noticed.

That's actually loss of focus because the game starts from a command line and then spawns a window. I don't know if that can be called a "bug" or just a side effect of sorts, I will see if it's possible to force-focus in this situation.

Triple_sSs said:

And I'd STILL like to get some speed throttling in here, maybe you could make it a separate option somehow or something.

As strange as it sounds, speed throttling is not implemented because it's part of the networking (!) subsystem, and in practice mochadoom is hardcoded to "timedemo" all the time. Just putting a fixed delay loop in there won't do the trick (at least not for long), it needs a special conditional waiting code which was part of the network receiver. Ofc I'm working on that next.