Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
skillsaw

Vanguard.wad - now on idgames!

Oh, you don't need to apologize for making slaughter maps! Make maps that way if you want to, or don't if you don't. Years ago I was into slaughter maps and the maps I made around that time (PCCP map28) show it, but now I've swung in the exact opposite direction.

Given the almost universal praise for this wad, and the fact that it contains quite a decent number of levels, I think you could consider submitting this as a news item. If you do, be sure to read these instructions.

Will you continue Doom mapping or it'll be your only work?

If you continue mapping, I recommend for you to complete Vanguard into a 32-level WAD! It might be a great success!!

Grazza said:

Given the almost universal praise for this wad, and the fact that it contains quite a decent number of levels, I think you could consider submitting this as a news item. If you do, be sure to read these instructions.

Good idea, I'll do that.

Katamori said:

Will you continue Doom mapping or it'll be your only work?

If you continue mapping, I recommend for you to complete Vanguard into a 32-level WAD! It might be a great success!!

I agree it would be cool if I could finish this, but it isn't going to happen. Any levels I make in the future will belong to a different project. I've poured enough hours into this one!

Jimmy91 said:

Holy jumpin' fuckin' shitballs. That's eye sex.

New custom title for you. matches your avatar.

OT: The orange glow is disconcerting to me. Nothing about those screenies entice me to want to enter into that world. :-/ Although with all the raving about it I probably will. :p

Hellbent said:

The orange glow is disconcerting to me.

I'd hate to see the sad, sorry state your hard wood floors are in.

Vanguard may be a great wad, but one can't say orange sky (particuarly the EP4 sky from Ultimate Doom), isn't a very common way of making a map look non-human (i.e other planet, hell, alien, demon wherever).

I played the first level. has very good gameplay. production values are top rate. I think I just had that reaction because I've been spending a lot of time doing dtwid last few days and I like the oldschool abstract look over the attempt at some kind of realism look. I did like the mass grave at the beginning of the level tho. :)

EDIT: for a level (level one) so given to DM, it is a sore oversight that you omitted to put in DM starts :(.

So many people make levels specifically for deathmatch that I don't think putting deathmatch starts in a single player level is necessary.

skillsaw said:

So many people make levels specifically for deathmatch that I don't think putting deathmatch starts in a single player level is necessary.

Fair enough, but level 1 seemed like it would actually make a really good DM map. In fact, I was wondering if I could edit it to make it DMable?

Hellbent said:

Fair enough, but level 1 seemed like it would actually make a really good DM map. In fact, I was wondering if I could edit it to make it DMable?

Sure thing. Let me know how it turns out!

Hey there! Don't know if anyone's interested, but after seeing the very nice screenshots and reading the good reviews on idgames, I've decided to make a blind Lets Play of this on my YouTube channel.

So if you would like to see me play this while I make comments about the design, you're welcome :)

Can post the other parts as soon as I've recorded and uploaded them if you like.

Great mapset so far!

BlueEagle said:

let's play

haha.. that was cool. some of the puns are quotes are truly cringeworthy, but you get points for improvisation.

skillsaw said:

Sure thing. Let me know how it turns out!

Thanks! A playable version should be ready very soon. :)

btw

Spoiler

that charred spine texture is frickin' sexy as all hell!

Looks amazing, Jaw dropping even. Also, BLueEagle, did you roonounce Heretic wrong? I had a friend call it Heh-Ret-ik once. I think it's pronounced Hair-a-tik

BUGS:
There are a lot of slime trails. They seem to occur much more frequently in PrBoom+ than ZDoom or Eternity.

Wasn't that because zdoom's bsp is able to store the extra vertices with subinteger precision?

Clonehunter said:

Looks amazing, Jaw dropping even. Also, BLueEagle, did you roonounce Heretic wrong? I had a friend call it Heh-Ret-ik once. I think it's pronounced Hair-a-tik

Yeah, you're right, my pronounciation was wrong. I apologize. But to be honest this is a very good way for me to learn better English ^^

Here is the second part!

Hope you enjoy :)

Hellbent said:

Vanguard DM (map01 only) Play with jumping on. add to the command line: +set dmflags 151556

I just took a quick look at this in ZDoom.

I can't really comment on the layout or gameplay as I don't deathmatch myself. I think it's interesting how you left the map closed and left it up to the players to open it up by pressing switches.

I would guess the SSG would be particularly lethal on this map though given how cramped it is.

A couple of minor issues - the sky in the (single player) starting area is messed up in ZDoom. I would guess some sky transfer tags are missing. Also, in the central room, the grate flats on the raised areas are misaligned.

Thanks for doing this though, this is pretty cool :)

Thanks for taking a look. :) I didn't know a DM map without an SSG was an option ;). I meant to ask you about the sky. The sky isn't like that in vanguard.wad, just in the modification I made. I don't know what I did to mess it up. Not sure I know how to fix the sky tags. Most editing I do is vanilla.

I fixed the misaligned flats. Once I figure out the sky bug I will upload the new version. Thanks for the feedback!

Off to the side of the map, there is an empty sector with a bunch of type 271 lines. Just give one of them tag 8 and it will apply the sky texture to the sector that's missing the sky.