Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Marnetmar

DOOM 4 Will not be a "Reskinned RAGE"

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/04/19/undoomed-doom-4-not-reskinned-rage

That’s what id’s design director Matt Hooper told has told Eurogamer.

“They’re [the Doom 4 team] going in their own direction,” Hooper added. “They’re doing something Doom fans will be happy with. I try to support them as much as possible. It’s a good thing. We’re separated enough to be able to go our own ways, but still connected where we can help facilitate both those directions. It is distinct enough. It would be dangerous… We don’t want to make a re-skinned Doom [with Rage] and then Doom 4 be a re-skinned Rage. That would be bad.”

My speculatometer points to Doom 4 (or 400M, as we’re calling it) being an attempt to recapture the demonic themes and pacey blasting of the original games. Odds on for an unveiling at QuakeCon this summer, and a late-2012 release. But I guess we’ll see…

Awesome.

This should be moved to the news thread.

an attempt to recapture the demonic themes and pacey blasting of the original games. Odds on for an unveiling at QuakeCon this summer, and a late-2012 release. But I guess we’ll see…

Haha, fuck you Xeros612. ;)

On a serious and unplayful note:
I REALLY hope that Doom4 will have layouts which actually have depth and give you a sense of exploration like the originals did... that would be such a breath of fresh air in the fps department.

DeathevokatioN said:

Haha, fuck you Xeros612. ;)

Your mother. (hurr hurr)
Besides, it's an RPS guy speculating, not an ID guy confirming.

DeathevokatioN said:

On a serious and unplayful note:
I REALLY hope that Doom4 will have layouts which actually have depth and give you a sense of exploration like the originals did... that would be such a breath of fresh air in the fps department.

Concurred. I miss FPS games where you can wander off the beaten path and find hidden goodies or even alternate routes. It doesn't have to be a sandbox "do anything you want" game, just give us some options.

Also, "4OOM" is a terrible name.

cbronson said:

Doom turns 20 in 2013...

Heh "4OOM", how do you read that? FOOM?

FOUROOM. As in, "this fouroom is powered by vBulletin Version 2.2.5".

Seeing lots of gameplay of Rage, I hope its reskinned as 4OOM. Dozens of imps instead of soldiers. Doom weapons. I feel like Rage is already just a desert version of Doom with mutants instead of demons.

Marnetmar said:

Rage isn't fast-paced enough to be Doom worthy IMO.

Ironic, considering you're supposed to DRIVE CARS in there.

I think the lack of fast pace is why people didn't like DOOM 3. Instead of beating levels in a minute or 5 minutes, it was just slow. Kind of like the Mario mentality... get far, really fast.

DOOM: the 2nd reboot

geo said:

I think the lack of fast pace is why people didn't like DOOM 3. Instead of beating levels in a minute or 5 minutes, it was just slow. Kind of like the Mario mentality... get far, really fast.

On average, it generally takes me 15-30 minutes to beat a vanilla DOOM map I haven't played before, so long levels in DOOM³ weren't a problem for me.

Try using the run button Megamur :-)

Another issue with DOOM 3 was you go in and clear a room. Go in another room and clear it out. You can't just run by people.

Well, that's kinda what you do in Doom as well, or at least what I do. I like to kill and kill. Not just run by them.

LOL no I don't, but there are par times. Sometimes when you don't have enough ammo or want to conserve it, you just have to run past a barron of Hell or trick them into killing everything else.

I've just always been the type to take my time with DOOM levels. I'm often more interested in the exploration than the carnage.

Personally, I don't mind if Doom 4 will be a bit slow paced like Doom 3 was. But then again, I'm pretty easy going when it comes to video games. I feel the purpose for a sequel in video games is to make the next one better and more advanced. Basically what I'm saying is, I'd be happy if Doom 4's game play was very different from the classic, but I would also be happy if it was pretty much the same.

geo said:

LOL no I don't, but there are par times. Sometimes when you don't have enough ammo or want to conserve it, you just have to run past a barron of Hell or trick them into killing everything else.

Yeah, but if you play a map or episode enough times, it becomes a thrill to try to beat it as fast as possible.

Okay, anyone think that they will make try so hard to make the graphics good that the graphics will just ruin the game? Or Doom 3 graphics mixed with old school graphics?

From reading posts about what people want. It seems like they'd be very happy with cardboard cutouts if there's 200 on the screen.

jjbluesam said:

I realyy hope DooM 4 comes out before the next decade.

I know when it'll be released.

You see, Doom was released in 1993. Doom 2 was released in 1994, a year later. Doom 3 was released ten years after Doom 2, ten times the time it took for Doom 2 to be released.

Therefore, if this pattern continues, Doom 4 will be released in 2104.