Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
brianthebeast

Why do you like Doom?

ohhhh...ok...ok...forget the stupid Dr. Doom reference. To think that I almost posted about a pool que (which was probably more fitting). ;)

Doom meant that I could put down the books and dice to run fast and free through dungeons and mazes, slaughtering monsters along the way. Switches, doors, traps, liquids, cool monsters, all in a creepy environment. I loved this game from the moment I first saw it.

Today, I'm still able to immerse myself into these current pwads and I credit this to the fantastic work by all the port, utility, and map authors. Replayability like no other.

Now, if you'll please excuse me, I last saved in front of a big scary door that I haven't opened yet.

geo said:

LOL I wonder about that server. Could it only handle like 50 people on it? And the file was huge at the time.

Chances are it didn't crash the server, but went past the server's bandwidth limit of like 100 MB back then.

I've always heard the server did actually 'Crash' and fall apart. I think it may of been more than 50 people, but maybe. The filesize yeah probably was a bit of an issue too back then though. :)

Clonehunter said:

I've always heard the server did actually 'Crash' and fall apart. I think it may of been more than 50 people, but maybe. The filesize yeah probably was a bit of an issue too back then though. :)

Crash and fall apart huh? Maybe someone uploaded a virus. I'd think that any server had a bandwidth and socket or user limit, but things were different in 1994. Maybe it crashed because they were using a university's server that said oh hell no to the giant file size and just pulled the plug on the machine.

I have a tough time believing the number of downloads caused a server to crash instead of just putting people into a waiting line or cutting them off.

Oh yeah they did. There was a boot virus going around that was distributed with a great game called eNoid, like arkanoid or whatever. That game was 5 star.

It's not that hard to pick up and play. It's a classic. You actually need to THINK sometimes.

Among other things...

Because it's an action game that does feel like an action game, and your character doesn't move with the stiffness of a Swiss Guard in full battledress.

hex11 said:

Unlimited replay value.

this. how else would people still play a game after 18 years?

i like its lightning fast gameplay. back then you used speed and agility as a defense. today's games running speed feels like wading through mud, and you can't even fire accurately without stopping and using iron sights. moving in doom, taking on a dozen monsters at once while evading their fireballs is fun.

Because its one of a handful of games I play that still gives me a feeling of adventure, especially when your playing a long awaited megawad. Not many other games can get close to that feeling.

i like doom because it is a one of a kind game with an
unforgetable art stile with the action flare of what a
good game should be and the scary in your face moments
when your crap your pants because of an arch-vile ambush
in the dark

gota love it

Why? Because it has

• Nonlinear, nonscripted levels and imaginative level design overall
  • The thematically intriguing combination of hellish invasion and bad-ass military scifi
  • Fast-paced combat and action
  • Memorable, varied and balanced monster cast
  • Excellent multiplayer
  • Stylish and gritty cartoon graphics that have aged well
  • Kick-ass metal/ambience soundtrack
  • Extensive and easy-to-learn modability
  • Gazillion tons of free add-ons
  • Classy community
What other game can offer all this? If you ask me, none.

It may be the most liberated game. I haven't even played a fraction of the awesome fan made wads of the last eighteen years.

and because you can kill stuff with a rocket and they POP! and not to mention the chainsaw. so if you like to kill zombies the a.o.d. or e.d.
way (army of darkness and evil dead for you sad people who haven't seen those movies)

brianthebeast said:

what are the reasons you people like doom?

Im studying in a university in Sweden and have mostly no free-time at all.
I love computer games but the problem I have with computer games is when I "buy" a new game(pirate) that is good I have hard to stop playing it because Im so eager to know how the game will continue and how/when the game will end.

Doom has barely any coherent story in game and i can just download a wad file and get a shotgun and frag without any need to care about how the game will end, and that makes it a perfect game for those who just want to take a "short"(long) break from schoolwork without any risk of being depended on playing. but it may differ from person to person

1 moar reasons i like doom is that it have alot of mods.

EDIT: Forgot to tell that it is a very relaxing game when you just run harmoniously around bloodfilled corridors with the DBShotgun,shooting demons and you can just connect your thoughts to something else than work.

I like it because the gameplay for DOOM is quite simple. This is not a cumbersome adventure game, but an action-oriented slugathon. You don't need the reflexes of a hyperactive eight year-old to play, either - using your wits is IMPORTANT. To escape DOOM, you need both brains and the killer instinct.

DOOM provides on-screen information that's necessary to survive. Some parts of the DOOM environment can be more dangerous than the enemies you'll face. Areas containing exploding barrels, radioactive waste, or crushing ceilings should be approached with caution.

I've also noticed that from the very first moment you enter the door, till the last gunshot of the game, you'll be fighting a host of baddies. Some are regular guys with a bad attitude, others are straight from Hell.

Keep an eye on your health or you'll end up face down.

Mithran Denizen said:

You don't need the reflexes of a hyperactive eight year-old to play, either - using your wits is IMPORTANT. To escape DOOM, you need both brains and the killer instinct.

Gunnery Sergeant Hartman: "The deadliest weapon in the world is a marine and his rifle. It is your killer instinct which must be harnessed if you expect to survive in combat. Your rifle is only a tool. It is a hard heart that kills. If your killer instincts are not clean and strong you will hesitate at the moment of truth. You will not kill. You will become dead marines and then you will be in a world of shit because marines are not allowed to die without permission!"

Neverending fun!!
I still can't get enough of DOOM, probably because I'm old-school, but mostly because I love the navigation using the Playstation controller so much that I got a Gamepad Pro for my computer, just so I could play all the megawads and levels so many of you faithful have created.
ZDoom has changed my life!! (Okay, so I don't have a life)
Ed's got a GREAT page ( http://edsdoomsite.tripod.com/index.html ) and I've been scarfing up all the levels and wads I can find.
Neverending fun!!

May the DOOM Gods bless Ed and keep his Doom2 wad page online!!

everything about doom is wonderful I just don't know where to begin. it left such a huge impact on the gaming industry and remained popular for more then 17 years, its timeless and a beautiful work of art.

killer2 said:

Did no one mention the most motherfucking awesome weapon ever?!

The BFG?

Or SSG?

The plasmagun and the single shotgun are much cooler. The BFG and SSG are both clumsy, poorly balanced weapons with shitty sprite animations and irritating sounds.[/rant]